Mallory photos

Andrew

Some of you guys don't like to admit that there are better

handling cars out there than Westfields. Only one Westy, a yellow megabusa, managed to overtake the Radical and he was trying so hard that he lost the back end and went into a

waving A*** display. The quickest car round the circuit was a red procomp severn, who the driver told me was pushed onto the grass twice by the idiot who was driving the yellow megabusa. Keep driving like that and there's no dought you will end up in trouble.

This yellow megabusa...it didn't have a cuddly toy attached to the roll bar by any chance, did it?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• nlash

• Mark Stanton

• Martin Keene

You see the more i read about this day ,the more i wonder what the club/organisers were doing ....... obviously NOT what they should be ,despite the attitude of drivers its up to the officials to police it , people with attitudes like the LA gold driver should be sent home STRAIGHT AWAY.

Not only breaking the rules on track , driving with attitudes like that is an accident waiting to happen the only people to control that are the organisers , so much for one isolated incident there appear to have been oh so many.

calm down

there are a lot of people who were not at the event, and i feel do not have the right to comment.

you only hearing one side of the story.

i think that most people who attended enjoyed the day with out incident .

i enjoyed my day at mallory and will be going again.

regards pete

Err sorry pete i disagree with you comments completely ....... read around the forum and speak directly to those who were there and you will find a huge issue that needs to be addressed , if the club wishes to brush it under the carpet then fine ,  THIS IS VERY SERIOUS .

things like this nearly shut down the entire track day industry at the begining of 2004 because of insurance issues from exactly these type of events , but if you are typical of the responce this type of thing  gets then you don't realise any of the implacations.

Peter

It had a passenger that was hanging on to the roll bar and anything else that he could find!!!!!!!   Just a Joke??????

Terry

I don't know you, but can see you like to drive your Westy on it's limit and have no problem with that. A track day is not to compete though (your words) and you would be better to find a race series where you can keep the car on the limit all the time. Good luck to you, but nobody wants to see any cars having offs, spins or accidents because it usally ends up involving another driver and car, as what happened in group B.

The SLOW Radical was driven by myself (Also a 4.6 V8 Seight

Westy owner ) and a friend who has very little track experience and has never been to Mallory Park before.

(For the eyes of some of the earlier posters inc Blatman, shame on you, thought better of your common)

On saying that, it was a very good day all round and we enjoyed the track time and tried to be safe and build up the speed of the car as the day went on.

Also thanks to the WSCC for the effort put in to organise a day like this and especially to Mike Smith for all his work on the day.

I will be there again next year (in either the Radical or the Seight) and have not been put off by the accident or anything else. We all should realise that there is a risk at any track day and from my own experience insurance is essential.

I would also like to say a big sorry to the 2 guys who had

accident damage to their cars. The same type of thing happened to me at Curborough 2 years ago and you feel sick for a few weeks afterwards. Hope all goes well in repairing the cars. See you there next year with all repaired and back to normal.

Phil Blake

VeeEight.

Terry does compete, in the Speed Series. And he's good too. From what I saw of Terry's driving, he was doing the right things at the right time.

I have thought long and hard about this post.

My son James and I have listened to trackday briefings at Hullavington twice /Basingbourne /Donnington 5 times  /Llandow and Cadwell in the last 9 months, completing just over 600 track day miles.

There has always been a clear emphasis on driving ettiquette. It is always emphasised several times in each briefing that overtaking is ONLY allowed on the left, NEVER IN BRAKING ZONES OR CORNERS, AND BY CONSENT ONLY. It is also emphasised that any infringement will be severly treated.

In the briefing that I attended at Mallory on Friday, the subject of overtaking was only mentioned as an afterthought at the end of the briefing. We were told that we could overtake on the left, and no mention was made of braking zones or bends. Both James and I commented that it was going to be a free for all and decided to keep out of trouble by driving at 7/10ths with both eyes on  the mirrors.

We managed an incident free day. It was sad that others did not, and I feel that this was as a direct result of the lack of emphasis in the briefing. Mr Smith commented several times both before and during the briefing that he was on his own and was waiting for other organising members to arrive. I feel that the lack of the support he expected may have had some influence, as he had to sign on all groups himself. Passengers did not sign on at all. I did offer to help but this was politely refused.

My sentiments concerning overtaking were echoed around the paddock by drivers with much more experience and ability than myself. As some may be aware a driver at a track day was killed recently in a Ferrari and the instructor in the passenger seat is still badly injured. We as a club must take control of the events we organise in a firm way so that these unfortunate incidents are reduced to a minimum. The final instructions were detailed and well presented but??

For those who are able or so inclined/need to test, perhaps the regular pay and test sessions open to race licence holders at mallory and other circuits would be more suitable.

Track days should be non damaging disciplined events where one can explore the limits of ones vehicle/driving skills with your teenage son in the passenger seat, and not be afraid that someone is going to create a problem by overtaking in MY braking area and pushing me off line to the point that I loose control.

Matthew Crisp

Glad I decided to build my car for road use only! Too many egos flying around for my liking, same happens at bike track days.

A lot of sensible sounding level headed comments on this thread, but it only takes one........

Perception conuts for everything

For mine, is it not also the responsibility of the marshalls to be looking for slower cars and blue flagging them? Not reading a magazine all day as the marshall at the hairpin was! I echo Matt Crisps comments, after having been in several breifings this year,the Mallory brief was a bit vague and thought more emphasis should have been paid to the overtaking issues. There were a couple of cars in my group who chose not to either move over or failed to look in their mirrors frequently.

On the whole a great day though and thanks to Mike for his hard work.  :cool:

Not reading a magazine all day as the marshall at the hairpin was!

Unless you were at the hairpin all day watching, that statement is wholly inaccurate, and should be withdrawn. I spent some time at the hairpin, and it was adequately policed whilst I was there.

There were a couple of cars in my group who chose not to either move over or failed to look in their mirrors frequently.

Again, we are in the realms of human nature. There is nothing much that can be done to *force* people to look in their mirrors, especially if thay are using their concentration to control a car that they aren't used to driving that quickly, on a track. *Everyone* needs to make allowances for *everyone else* otherwise accidents will happen, and no amount of briefing or warning can make up for the person in front being short of experience or common sense...

Not reading a magazine all day as the marshall at the hairpin was!  

Unless you were at the hairpin all day watching, that statement is wholly inaccurate, and should be withdrawn. I spent some time at the hairpin, and it was adequately policed whilst I was there

I can confirm this.  

The marshal at this post was IMO fully 'track aware' and fully in control of  "her post".

Having spoken to the Young Lady personally, I have to say I was impressed with both her atitude and her ability to perform her duties.

WHOA - sorry I couldn't be at Mallory this year................ but seriously guys ................ just getting back from Welsh Wales and reading some of these postings make me think seriously

goodness me WSCC trackdays are non competitive - get that into everyones head ................ don't race .................. it is up to all drivers to check mirrors and if necessary BACK OFF and give yourself room.

I spoke to Mike at Llys Y Fran - who genreally said that majority of the event was fine - however a very small number of events and approaches to the track day left a bit of a "downer".

With regards to comments on who overtook who and was faster ...................... just take a look at yourselves and how you're coming across  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down: and those of you that are more experienced should know better ........................... You started out as an inexperienced driver a few years ago and were helped on your way by politeness, respect and courtesy.

We are all WSCC members ..................... please show some respect for others.

Cadwell WSCC trackday .................... is being looked at with regard to some of you folks approach and attitude ........................ it saddens me after all the work that's put into club events, building your cars and a small number let their egos spoil matters  :down:  :down:

and Mallory marshals have always been tip-top - don't knock it until you've sat in a marshals post for 8 hours and see how you get on  :down:  :down:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

I was at the hairpin taking pictures and whilst I was there the marshall was reading a magazine. I willing retract the "all day" aspect of my statement, but I saw what I saw, for the duration of my visit at the hairpin. I also stand by my statement within the context of the blue flag issues I previously raised.  :cool:

Is there a questionmark over Cadwell?

Not into knee jerk decisions Mr A ....................... reports from Mallory are welcomed for an informed committee decision  :)