Ty Croes sprint

adhawkins

it depends on your personal position within the seat - for a taller bodied person they may not - cos your helmet at rear of your neck can potentially lip over the back of the seat  ;)  ;) in the event of an accident - that applies to many scruters not just the bearded one and as terry noted it must be able to sustain impact as noted in Blue Book

It may need an additional brace/pad for the taller driver  ;)

Personally I have a PKM carbon one which is much higher and the back head rest section covers all the rear central portion when seated  ;)

Andy can you sit in car with skid lid on and send me a photo from the side and rear  ;)  ;) and I'll draw something on that perhaps we could post up  ;)  :D and I promise it won't be rude  :devil:  :D  :D  ;)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• neilwillis

• Mark Stanton

• V 8

Andy can you sit in car with skid lid on and send me a photo from the side and rear  ;)  ;) and I'll draw something on that perhaps we could post up  ;)  :D and I promise it won't be rude  :devil:  :D  :D  ;)

I think I know what you mean. But hey, I'm never one to shrink from an opportunity to expose myself to ridicule. I'll see what I can sort out.

:)

Andy

I've just taken the photos, and after looking at them myself I think I've answered my own question.

1. The back of the seat barely comes above the bottom of my helmet. If I was rear ended, chances are my whole head would just go backwards without even touching the seat.

2. Not sure if it's cos I didn't do the helmet up properly, but looking at the position of my eyes relative to the visor opening, my helmet may not be sitting far enough down my head (Gav aka Bofus commented on this at the karting the other weekend).

Comments (although I think I know the answer :down:)

3335.jpeg

3336.jpeg

Andy

Andy send me piccies over and I'll draw some lines on  ;)  ;)  ;)

But potentially you may have trouble as you have posted  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:

as the rear "crash pad" ideally needs to be centrally behind helmet centre - if you get my drift.

Dave Uren had a similar problem and he welded on additional crash pad + foam padding to the cross strut on roll bar just above where his seat came  ;)

P.S. I would check your helmet fitment as well  ;)  ;) your eyes do need to be more central if poss and is that your chin poking out underneath ???  ???

Email on the way. You never get my e-mails though... :)

Andy

its landed  :D I'll draw and send back hope it helps what the scruters may be looking at  ;)  :D

I think I already know, but would be worth double checking.

Think I need to speak to Geofff, he was making a headrest recently... :)

Andy

Thanks to Geoff for finding this. Comments?

Thanks

Andy

I bought the Demon Tweeks head restraint, but if I were you I wouldn't bother with that one, it's crap.   The plastic plate they use inside the padded disc breaks as soon as you look at it.

Also, the bracket is worse than useless as it is designed for a roll cage, and meant to clamp to an overhead bar.   I'd get a decent one fabricated, and welded on.   Safety isn't something you should cut corners on at all.

I was lucky because the roll bar diagonal brace crosses directly behind my helmet, and I have just fitted some FIA foam padding to it.

I was lucky because the roll bar diagonal brace crosses directly behind my helmet, and I have just fitted some FIA foam padding to it.

Unfortunately, (as you can see from the photos), mine doesn't. :down:

Andy

I have that head restraint if you want it.   It'll need a disc of something like ali fabricating to replace the plastic bit.   I managed to get the bracket to clamp to the upright on the roll bar - but it had to be bent a little, and needed support from behind.

In all honesty though, where necks are concerned, a few quid is a very wise investment, so if I were you, I'd get a pro welder to at least fit a bracket to the roll bar onto which you can bolt a suitable pad.

I don't think it'd cost the earth, although it'll mess up the powder coating on the bar of course, and you'll need to get it re-finished.   The blue book lays down some specifics regarding loads it must withstand, and a couple of jubilee clips just wouldn't cut the mustard in my opinion.

Hi,

Andy: I think I'll be going back to the original plan!

Only problem being that my roll bar has the 1" square tube connecting the roll cage diagonal to the rear bulkhead and your's doesn't.

Neil: Do you think a head restraint directly bolted to Andy's roll cage diagonal would be sufficient considering his seat is doing half the job already?  ???

Ta

Geoff

:)

Looking at the pictures I'd suggest it needs to be mounted below the diagonal.   The Demon Tweeks bracketry won't allow that without modifications, it'd be easier to fabricate one from scratch.   It also look to me as though it needs to be slightly forward of the bar, so his helmet isnt going to move backwards a long way in the event of an impact.

Andy now has some tweaked piccies - ask him for a copy  ;)  ;)  :D  :D  ;)

Andy now has some tweaked piccies - ask him for a copy  ;)  ;)  :D  :D  ;)

They're at home. I'll put them up tonight.

Andy