• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• never fear

• adhawkins

• Rob Navin

• judder

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you want to use it for?

I've only ever driven cars with independant rear. I understand they can be a bit more comfortable on UK roads...

As to factory cars, there's no saying that a home built car won't be of the same build quality as a factory one.

Andy

weekend blasts, shows, maybe a track day or two nothing to seriouse, but i bet everyone says that to start with. how does a live axle make the difference then? and also if i dont like the toyota lump is it easly exchanged for a 2.0 zetec? i.e: will it fit on the same chassis?

yes i did but slightly more than i want to pay for a 1st westy. dont wonna go more than 10k really. altho it does sound like a beast and very tempting. thanks again tho and if you see more please let me know.

The club mag always has a good selection of cars available. Also, check out the Kit Car mags too, always lots for sale in there.

Then there's PistonHeads, FindIt and other Internet sites that advertise cars.

Andy

Best advice would be to go along to a local meet, have a chat with the guys there, and if possible talk someone into coming along to view any potential buys.   A well built car will speak for itself, but an expert eye never goes amiss.

As to what you should buy, They're all fast, and basically it depends on what you want to do with it.   For the road, a 16v car engine is the best bet, because no matter what bec owners say, becs do wear out far quicker than car engines, and there have been issues with reverse boxes too.   I personally would have a look at a few, drive as many as you can, and see which one says buy me.

cheers guys you have all been a mega help. i agree pistonheads is my fav site

(whoops!!! i mean wscc is:D ) joking aside thanks again. i'll have to find where my local meet is. im in reditch midlands just south of brum.

For the road, a 16v car engine is the best bet, because no matter what bec owners say, becs do wear out far quicker than car engines,

So by this reasoning Neil an 8 valve engine would be a lot better than a 16 valve.

You know a x-flow makes sense  :D  :D

after what i read about some hassels with reverse box on bec's i thing i'll go for a zetec or vx. 1.8 or 2.0. bit more realiable aswell i think.

For the road, a 16v car engine is the best bet, because no matter what bec owners say, becs do wear out far quicker than car engines, and there have been issues with reverse boxes too.  

I agree that there have been some issues with reverse boxes, so don't have one or go for an electric reverse. But who's BEC engine do you know that has worn out ?

Some have blown up on track because of oil surge etc, but I know of a few VX powered cars that have done that as well.

Cheers

Bazzer

As to factory cars, there's no saying that a home built car won't be of the same build quality as a factory one.

As i understand it not all FBC are the same and vary in material and build quility.