my 1st westy

never fear

hi people, i am currently looking around for my 1st westy. i'v been a visitor to your forum for a while now but never registerd. just read the threads. i'v decided to take the plung and buy on, but which one? i'v looked at a SEIw Sport. 1800 and a 3.9 V8 SEIW. im no stranger to bhp as i'v ownen most things from cossies to porsche's. which one do you thinks suitable as an entry level. im thinking the 1800 but still not sure.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• never fear

• adhawkins

• Rob Navin

• judder

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the same boat last year, did'nt know what to get, wanting anything from a crossflow to a V8 (not knocking the crossflow). Decided to get the 1.8 Zetec to cut my teeth on and it's fast enough for now. Would like a bigger engine maybe in a couple of more years, I'd probably killed myself by now had I gone for a beast right away. The good thing is that they don't depreciate as much as regular cars, and they are always sought after. But best to get along to a local get together and get a shot in as many as possible. Good Luck.

SEIW with a vauxhall engine would be a good bet

Never fear,

don't get sucked into the must have over 200hp.

Very few have over a true 200bhp and if they do, I would guess they rarely get used to their full potential on the road. A std 1800 / 2000l will provide some good thrills to start and a good base for upgrading.

VX / Zetec much the same, just a different flavour. :devil:

the 1800 is a zetec. thought the v8 might be a bit silly. there claiming 250-260 BHP. 155BHP on the 1800. the 1800 looks a lovely car and the missus is completely sold since we went to the factory for the tour. thank god she's onboard, it would have been a hard fight against her. :D

the 1800 is a zetec. thought the v8 might be a bit silly. there claiming 250-260 BHP. 155BHP on the 1800. the 1800 looks a lovely car and the missus is completely sold since we went to the factory for the tour. thank god she's onboard, it would have been a hard fight against her. :D

The vx might be good for a newbie. They are nice and stable with all that weight up front :D

Go for the 2.0VX and then you wont need to upgrade to a 2.0VX

what will the 1800 do? 0-62 a respectable 5? and as long as it will pull a good 120 im happy. i want to upgrade to a busa i think eventually.:angry:

Would be more like 6, but I've had 120 on a back road. Make sure you test drive a BEC on the road as I've heard their more of a track car and need a lot of revving to pick away without stalling. Im sure someone will disagree soon.

Good place to start your Westy ownership would be Vx or Zetec. If you go Zetec go for a 2000cc if you can get one. With around 165-175bhp from the Vx/Zetec with just carbs on should be fast enough for the time being. My Zetec Westy is 210bhp and last time I checked on an AP-22 G meter it was doing 0-60 in 4.3 seconds so quite quick.

So Perksy you have run out of steam? Bit like a Zetec then!:D Get a vauxhall:) :laugh: