Q plates?

RobC

If you don't buy the whole car (who wants a whole sierra anyway :D ) you need the v5 and enough parts that came from a sierra to meet the requirements for your westy to carry the same reg as the sierra did.  Just make sure the engine number on the v5 matches the one on your engine if you choose to have the engine as one of the required major components.

Yup, If you can't afford new parts this is the way to do it. Personally I wouldn't mind having a Q plate if I had to, but would much prefer a normal reg. For a start you can't get a personalised plate once it's been issued as a Q but you can if you can use a donor vehicles registration number.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• RobC

• perksy

• Blatman

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem I'd have with a Q plate is not being able to put my private plate on it but it wouldn't stop me from buying one...

Shame really as I think the B7 *** plate would look quite good  :p

the good thing (as per cidersurfer)about Q's is due to the engine not being 'dated' it is a visual smoke test for the mot.This means you can run as wild an engine as you like and not have to sweat at the annual test.The only downfalls is that some recovery firms won't touch you( daft as my car is far more roadworthy than many a ****pile on the roads),so use one that does and the transfer of plates,of which I'd rather spend a grand on a cam change than a few numbers telling me I have more money than I know what to do with.

It's the quality of the car that matters... Q plate or otherwise is neither here nor there. Just had my MOT last week and it is nice not having to worry about emissions :D

I know this has been done before, but: -

To a prospective new Seven owner with no background of our cars, would a Westfield with a current 04 plate be worth more than a Q plate if up for sale right now ???  ???  ???  ???  ???

Ian

Who cares!  No one would get rid of a westfield unless theyre CRAZY ;):p

Or they wanted a faster Westfield ;)

Andy

I know this has been done before, but: -

To a prospective new Seven owner with no background of our cars, would a Westfield with a current 04 plate be worth more than a Q plate if up for sale right now ???  ???  ???  ???  ???

Ian

I'd have to say yes and even with some knowledge of them I would stilll be inclined to buy the 'properly registered vehicle'

I'd have to say yes and even with some knowledge of them I would stilll be inclined to buy the 'properly registered vehicle'

Even if the spec of the Q plate car was better than the "properly registered" one ??

To the novice buyer a "proper" plate would probably appear to be safer, in much the same way that they might prefer a factory built car.  However, that would leave them missing out on a lot of well built, high spec cars which, for the sake of something like an engine which the builder reconditioned or put together themselves, cannot get an age-related plate.

Is this an example of the superficial-ness of people when buying new stuff, I wonder? No-one bothers to look beyond the shiny new reg number... :bangshead:

Blimey, that was deep for this time of the morning. I haven't even had a coffee yet...

*Locks office door*

*Strolls to canteen*