Aeroscreen

Danny

Danny.

With regards to mirrors and MOT, you have to have two mirrors, and one of them must be a drivers side mirror. So no you dont need a centre mirror if you have two side mirrors fitted.

Glen.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• timd

• Nick M

• Bananaman

• Major Stare

Ive got the small SPA mirrors with convex lenses holding down the sides of the screen, can see all I need to and less holes in the bodywork :)

Tim

Did you figure out the best mirrors for the Cadge ?????????

Andy

Got Cadged to fit a bracket on front of cadge for Racetec convex mirror, could do with some side mirrors now.

I was thinking of attaching them to the cadge.???

Jubilee clips and a small 2" x 2" piece of 3mm ali to mount the mirrors to.  If you just put the mirrors straight on to the jubille clips (by drilling a hole in the clip) then you won't be able to get the Allen key in to tighten and adjust the mirror.  Hence the 2 (or 3)" square plate to push them back slightly from the roll cage. (Thanks for that tip go to Magnum)

Jubilee clips and a small 2" x 2" piece of 3mm ali to mount the mirrors to.  If you just put the mirrors straight on to the jubille clips (by drilling a hole in the clip) then you won't be able to get the Allen key in to tighten and adjust the mirror.  Hence the 2 (or 3)" square plate to push them back slightly from the roll cage. (Thanks for that tip go to Magnum)

Dickie

Got any Pic's of this fixing meathod?

Your side mirrors look to be located quite high op, any reason for this?

Andy

Your side mirrors look to be located quite high up, any reason for this?

so he can see what's behind him  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :D  :devil:

sorry - seriously you can see more  ;)  ;)  and further  ;)  :D

Nana's - the word cage doesn't have a "d" in it  :D  :D  :devil:

cadge means to obtain something for no payment  :D  ;)  :devil:

Nana's - the word cage doesn't have a "d" in it  :D  :D  :devil:

cadge means to obtain something for no payment  :D  ;)  :devil:

Well it was quite a bargain... ;)  :D

Sorry to but in.....

I like the look of Aeroscreen, but:-

-Is a helmet required for all trips?

-Wind bufeting with a "normal" screen is bad...is it worse with an Aero?

-Is the weight saving noticable...removing screen, wipers, wipermotors,  washbottle and jets?

-Will it mess up my wife's hair?

Sorry to but in.....

I like the look of Aeroscreen, but:-

-Is the weight saving noticable...removing screen, wipers, wipermotors,  washbottle and jets?

In order:

i.   Not for all - but impact glasses/goggles are a must. If I'm going more than 10 miles or so I wear a helmet to keep the noise down.

ii.  Less buffeting with an aero - you can breathe!

iii. Any weight saving (must start that diet!;) is helpful and the screen etc. weighs a lot. But the biggest reason for doing it is it makes a measurable difference to the aerodynamics. That's why there is a seperate class for Aero screens in the club competitions.

iv. Yes - but who cares? :devil:

Nah - advisable for motorways as there is a lot more crap thrown up, but having gone at ridiculous speeds without one, just make sure you have good glasses. Oakley M frames - look pants but work great.

Yes - acceleration and top end greatly improved both by loss of weight and aerodynamics

Yes - but without side screens on it probably did already. With an aero the wind is straight at you with the normal is buffets round the side, I find it much more comfortable.

:devil: Go on you know you want to!

Tim's is well good!!! :D

You don't get the wrap around vacuum affect with wind seemingly coming from behind with an aeroscreen.

Cheap way to try it out is to get some polycarb and do this

aeroscreen.jpg

Weight saving isn't as much as you'd think (or not as much as I thought anyway! ) :D

Screen, pillars, mirrors, screen fillet, complete wiper system, and heater (dry) only added up to 13.05kg on my kitchen scales. Ok there'd be a bit extra for the water in the heater, but it wasn't exactly a massive saving. I think the main performace gain is removing the dirty great plank of glass from the airflow - it's an aero thing rather than a weight thing.

FWIW, the JTO aeroscreen is the lightest I've seen so far at 300g (lighter than the smaller, carbon, Caterham one :t-up: ) The Westy double bubble screen was iro 2.5kg for the GRP one.