Duratec SVA and weigh-in

Glen H

Yeah, c'mon. We're interested from a scientific point of view. We won't take the p***, honest.

Well, we might, a bit.......  :0  :D

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• conibear

• Nick M

• Glen H

• adhawkins

I will post the weights etc on completion, unless my claims are found to be incorrect of course  :D  :D  :p

Need we say more ??..........  :devil:  :devil:  :D  :D

Right then,

Unfortunately I connot remember the excact weight per wheel/corner of the car, the car was weighed with & without driver, I can remember that the scales totalled it to 647kg with driver (84kg on the day) giving a weight of the car @ 563kg.

What I found hard to believe was that even without the driver in the scales indicated that the rear offside wheel was approx. 30kg heavier than the rear nearside wheel ???  ???

I did question this as I can't see any reason why this should be, I know the exhaust is on this side but surley it doesn't make this much difference to this corner. can anyone explain this??.

I should receive the full breakdown of the weights before and after adjustments in the post any day and will post them on arrival.

Meantime I am hoping that  I can get to Curborough on Sunday afternnon and see if Adrian has his scales still set up as I would like a double check on the weights per corner as I can't understand the rear-offside weight and still find it hard to beleive that the SVA scales are that far out ???

Let the p*** taking commence

All weights on the cars transfer across a diagonal so usually for example the front offside and rear nearside will be the heaviest of each axle (or visca versa), and just because there are heavy things on one side of the car doesnt mean that a corner on that side of the car would be heavier.

Imagine it to extremes, jack up the front offside and rear nearside suspension as high / hard as it will go, and soften / lower the opposite corners. In this state the vast majority of the weight will be on the high / stiff corners, and the car will almost rock across the diagonal because the soft / low corners cant support the weight of the car on a flat surface.

Another anomoly is that sometimes a corner (usually the nearside front in a Caterfield) might be lighter WITH a driver on board than without. When I first cornerweighted mine, the front nearside wheel was about 5kgs lighter once Id jumped in!

Anyway a proper flat floor setup should dial out the excessively heavy corners and get it all pretty balanced.

Chris

All weights on the cars transfer across a diagonal so usually for example the front offside and rear nearside will be the heaviest of each axle (or visca versa),

I was also told this by the operator at Northampton Motorsport, however to throw in more confusion / doubt the opposit corner, front nearside was the lightest of the lot ???  ???

Some attention to the spring pre-load/height adjuster (call it what you will) should see most of that dialled out, I reckon. It's not a massive concern for a road car, although getting them as close to even as you can across the diagonals will definitely help with the fine balance of the car.

563Kg's eh? More than I thought, TBH. I was thinking that 540 would be the ball park figure, based on Conibears claims for his car.

How much power, Glen? Power to weight is the next question, although I reckon you'll have less power to weight than my narrow Cossie car :p:p

Sorrry :down: Couldn't help meself......

Just as a datapoint, I had my car weighed yesterday at registration here in Sweden (very accurate scales with daily calibration): Came in at 701kgs with half a tank of fuel and 115kgs extra weight (76kgs of lead and 14" steel wheels and spare wheel are "extra" plus some extra silencers etc). That puts it at 586kgs exactly. Spec is VX engine with normal Ford 5-speed trans and heavy CDS rollbar (I guess in the neighborhood of 15kgs). So maybe the ~560 is a good weight for similar spec but alu engine.

When we took the all aluminium 2.2l Ecotec engine out of the VX220, and weighed it, compared to XE engine, it was 19kgs lighter without ancillaries (just block and head incl flywheels and clutches).

Race line claim 5 kg's more than a K serries but whats the spec

When I had my Duratec in bit down to its last nut and bolt I weighed the block and crank and posted the weights [go find it Blatters thats a good searcher   :D  :D  :D  ]

when I have some more bits back on and in the engine I will weigh those bits

Glen, I cannot believe your car weighs as much as 563kg. I as Blatman thought it would be about 540kg and I still do.

I don't care what anyone else says, weighing devices such as that at the SVA centre's and council weighbridges are not accurate and should be ignored. I've witnessed not just on my car differing weights at weighbridge's.

My Duratec car at SVA weighed over 770kg accordinging to the information I witnessed and 500kg on corner weights. This weight has been confirmed since all the argy bargy on here. Although my car is road legal, stripped and in a lightweight spec, but it can't be 60kg less than yours. Don't get too excited about it because all these measuring devices cannot be calibrated the same and there is a lot incorrect information around about bhp and weights. Irespectively of what i've said, IMHO I think my car probably weighs a maximum 520kg, yours 550kg.

If in doubt get it done again, should only cost £20.00

IAN

Glen...........Don't be down about the weight. The c2c showed that it definitely aint slow!! And it looks the dogs

My Duratec car at SVA weighed over 770kg accordinging to the information I witnessed

Not if you didn't ask the nice SVA man to make his computer do the necessary sums... probably would have come out at around 540 - 550Kg, which to be honest sounds about right, not what you want to hear I know, but so it goes.

My Duratec car at SVA weighed over 770kg accordinging to the information I witnessed

Not if you didn't ask the nice SVA man to make his computer do the necessary sums... probably would have come out at around 540 - 550Kg, which to be honest sounds about right, not what you want to hear I know, but so it goes.

you what john, complete nonsense and your view.

don't start again  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Before you go getting all defensive again, remember that Glens weights were done not by the SVA man, but by the chaps at Northampton Motorsport. IME, their equipment is accurate, and used by competent technicians. I'd be far less inclined to argue with these results, although I am surprised that it weighs more than 560Kg's.