Cobra 427 Build

KugaWestie

My understanding about the link pipe is that you get a sound like this.

I only say this as I asked why it sounded like it did and I was told that it was because of a link pipe.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

44 minutes ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

My understanding about the link pipe is that you get a sound like this.

I only say this as I asked why it sounded like it did and I was told that it was because of a link pipe.

That's totally different @Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO

The two sidepipes on the Westfield are totally separate and not joined by an H or X pipe. The article link posted by TJ above explains it

A crossover/link/X pipe is worth considering if you can. It makes it sound better (aguable of course)  but more importantly, it increases torque. I didn’t have one on the fake snake I built way back, but if I was doing it now, I would. The Marcos didn’t have one either when we got it, but I grafted one in and it lifted torque and made it sound nicer and a bit quieter too.

It’s a bit more faff and expense, but well worth considering.

3 hours ago, corsechris said:

A crossover/link/X pipe is worth considering if you can. It makes it sound better (aguable of course)  but more importantly, it increases torque. I didn’t have one on the fake snake I built way back, but if I was doing it now, I would. The Marcos didn’t have one either when we got it, but I grafted one in and it lifted torque and made it sound nicer and a bit quieter too.

It’s a bit more faff and expense, but well worth considering.

When you did your crossover pipe, what style did you do? H or X?

From what I've seen of the American big v8s the concensus is now the x pipe is preferable. Why? No idea, but would hazard a guess at not slowing the flow as much? It's something I've looked at with the v6, if I did it, it would obviously be a longer link pipe between the 2 pipes so I'm not sure it's of as much/any benefit?

32 minutes ago, KugaWestie said:

When you did your crossover pipe, what style did you do? H or X?

Replied via mail, but for the collective...a crude link pipe was all I had space for. Did work though, but an X would be better.

Or checkout the episode on Engine Masters on Motor Trend on Demand if you want to see the dyno impact. Worth a watch.

5 minutes ago, BCF said:

Or checkout the episode on Engine Masters on Motor Trend on Demand if you want to see the dyno impact. Worth a watch.

Already watched it :yes:

I have now got the chassis up on ramps so I can lay underneath to start looking at the exhaust as I will need some bits to start mocking up, then while I wait for them to arrive I can drop back on the fuel system.

So I have ordered a couple of bends to connect to the header which will get me to a horizontal position under the car, and I have also ordered an X pipe

Today my nice new custom fabricated radiator arrived. Many thanks to @CL290005 for organising and ordering this from the same company that made his C Type rad.

We worked on the design between us, well I said to Chris it needs to go there and he did the rest :laugh:

It is certainly a big piece of kit and I am sure it will sufficiently cool the engine no problem. 560mm wide x 448mm high x 74mm thick 3 core.

The Kenlowe fan I picked up a couple of weeks ago looks a good fit as well, it needs some mounting brackets making up but that looks pretty straight forward

IMG_3409.thumb.JPG.9d68d8a0a87e5d779ca9e6f040334129.JPG

While Chris was over having a look and dropping my Rad off, we had a look at the rear section of the exhaust, and it looks like the cherry bomb centre section and the rear silencer/tailpipe section are going to fit pretty well without much alteration, which is a great result.

The cherry bomb section looks like a nice fit from the gearbox through to the front of the diff

IMG_3411.thumb.JPG.9c2e18107cac1f8bc460942bfe1c5702.JPG

The rear section will then run under the centre section of the diff between the wishbones (inside the arcs of movement) and then kick out to the side of the car under the boot and the tailpipe looks about the right position hanging out of the back

IMG_3412.thumb.JPG.b11e3b6a015bc7db231f34a4f75c846d.JPG

Exciting!

I can’t wait to see and hear the exhaust in position, it really looks like a great purchase:yes:

That’s really the cherry on top when it fits so well without mods

cracking work and love following your build

If I bought an exhaust like Gary, for a car, I would end up with it not fitting one bit. Some people are jammy on getting things to work more than not. :angry:

8 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

If I bought an exhaust like Gary, for a car, I would end up with it not fitting one bit. Some people are jammy on getting things to work more than not. :angry:

It still needs a fair bit of work TJ ;)

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.