• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

Oil, cooling and fuel systems on the way, good progress. Keep up the good work, looking forward to that first fire up!

Ooh, V8 first start! Definitely need the speakers turned up for that one! 

Exciting progress Gary. Little way off a start Gents :d. Not seen much wiring on the engine yet, but thats immaterial as we have lumpy bits going together, quite quickly. Ball pein hammer for the win on making gaskets . 

Great stuff Gary :t-up:

Thanks chaps.

This evening I managed to fit the fuel tank and complete the fuel Pipework at the rear of the car.

I decided to take the fuel outlet from the tank from the drivers side of the car. This then feeds into a 100 micron filter pre pump (its blue, you can just see it to the right of the pump). Then filter to pump. Out of the pump and 90 degrees towards the front of the car, with a 30micron filter fitted under the fuel tank (you can just make it out in the second photo, it is black) then into the copper pipe and off up to the front of the car.

IMG_3370.thumb.JPG.7d5c4a43d61d01eb0e36ed8ae3023280.JPG

IMG_3371.thumb.JPG.0bf4c0f9e97658e16fa76878b76e86d1.JPG

IMG_3372.thumb.JPG.75aaf936df5515de3c5cdecbea3f807f.JPGThere is also a return pipe back into the fuel tank, which feeds into the bottom of the fuel tank on the passenger side.

I finished off by marking up my copper pipes in the engine bay with flow and return to make the next stage easier.

IMG_3373.thumb.JPG.1b75e49ecab265a347c8231c16fc77f4.JPG

Now before you all tell me there are a few jubilee clips in use and that is bad practice, I KNOW :).

I ran out of proper fuel pipe clamps and also need a couple that are the next size up for the fuel pump barb connection. So there are some on order and these will be swapped over when they arrive.

Gary are you going to protect the fuel pipe passing the rear disc , as that just looks a bit close in the picture and to stop any stones etc from flinging off the driveshaft/ disc areas ?

18 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Gary are you going to protect the fuel pipe passing the rear disc , as that just looks a bit close in the picture and to stop any stones etc from flinging off the driveshaft/ disc areas ?

Eventually I will cover them with spilt conduit

I started having a look at the fuel injection system tonight, no photos though to keep you all in suspense :devil:

I was more interested in throttle cable routing and bracket arrangements really. 

Anyone able to recommend a decent throttle cable supplier? @AdamR maybe?

Last time I had cables made (about 2003!) I used Listers...but I think they are called Cable-Tech now: http://www.cable-tec.co.uk/Products/tension_hp_cables.asp   I needed the cable to be bomb-proof really as it was a mid-engine layout and I didn't ever want to have to replace the cable. I went with a teflon coated stainless inner cable with a heavy duty polypropylene (IIRC) outer - even with it wrapped round on itself about 3 times you could still push & pull the inner.

What is listed on that page as a 3 series cable.

Should be a bit more straightforward with a front engine though :)  Always worth having a good quality cable though - makes a huge difference.

I have been procrastinating over the exhaust system for a good couple of months now. I spent a fair bit of time looking at some Cobra cars at Autosport International looking especially at exhaust systems, and I finally made my mind up.

Since early December I have been keeping my eye on a used exhaust system on EBay that I thought might be worth a punt. It would need some alteration work, but at the right money it could turn out as a bargain and good solution.

So after Autosport I decided to take the punt after a bit of negotiation on the price.

Here it is now safely in my possession

IMG_3395.thumb.JPG.41457f35da29d122cacedcaf92b2dba7.JPG

IMG_3396.thumb.JPG.f80d982696ce71549818ea65c0598ea4.JPG

It has come off a TVR Cerbera. Unwrapped for a quick initial inspection and it looks to be in pretty good order. It will need alteration and the front pipes will need lopping off just in front of the joint bracket.

The appeal was that it will be an underslung system which is the original AC Cobra design as well as being a bit more civilised when driving but hopefully still a great sound from what is a performance V8 exhaust system, and I do like those 3" diameter polished tailpipes :love::devil:

Once the front of the fuel system is finalised this will be next on the radar

I do prefer the cobra exhaust coming out the back than the usual sidepipes. Gives cleaner lines in my eyes. Great decision Gary. The only thing I can question is are you putting a link pipe across the system, as the Cerbera runs a flat plane engine, as if it was 2 x 4 cylinder engines. Just a question really as sidepipes are obviously not linked . 

1 minute ago, Thrustyjust said:

I do prefer the cobra exhaust coming out the back than the usual sidepipes. Gives cleaner lines in my eyes. Great decision Gary. The only thing I can question is are you putting a link pipe across the system, as the Cerbera runs a flat plane engine, as if it was 2 x 4 cylinder engines. Just a question really as sidepipes are obviously not linked . 

Thanks

Funnily enough I was discussing that very point with @CL290005 this morning. I am not sure it is necessary really and I like trying to keep things simple. So at present the answer is no unless someone can educate me on the benefits (assuming there are some?)

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.