sim card newbie

Richard (OldStager)

Didn't think they were, or there would be no piont in anyone selling/buying or using gloves with fingertips that are touch screen compatible... 

7 minutes ago, Blatman said:

Didn't think they were, or there would be no piont in anyone selling/buying or using gloves with fingertips that are touch screen compatible... 

Well this one seems to be and a test has confirmed it won’t work with normal gloves but will with a pair I got today that are touch sensitive. Also I can’t use something like a pen top or plastic scribe as that does nothing either.

I also have stupidly dry skin and this also may have an effect?.

No my new gloves were dry and I would say my skin is drier  . Would be handy if I could use the plastic scribe thing that came with my old satnav to type with, which led me to think this screen is heat reactive 

well i ended up googling this

seems its not heat but capacitive touch, and senses the electrical impulses in a finger, hence why a solid plastic thing does not work, also why overly dry skin acts the same as a my scribe

will try to make one this week, the links says it's an alloy body and rubber tip, can't be standard rubber though.

my new gloves might have to lose a finger...

as an experiment, a pen pushed down one finger of the glove and it actually works... with my hand out of the glove obviously.

Okay,  I have moved on a bit tech wise.

Today I was given an iPad as well, so just set that up and on it now. This is far better than the phone to type on.

From binning off Win XP only a few months ago, I find my self in Appleland 😆.

• Haha 1

I appear to be missing something though, how do I import my contacts from the phone and into this, this says it’s signed into my qApple account but no contacts show , I am sure it’s a silly setting I have missed can you help?.

Does this help.

The Solution: iCloud 

If you want to keep the data on your iPhone and iPad in sync, use Apple iCloud to keep all your devices in sync at all times. As long as both your devices connect to the internet and have the same iCloud settings—and you access them using the same Apple ID—they'll stay in sync.

Here's how to set up iCloud:

Open the Settings app on one device, tap your name to open the Apple ID screen, then select iCloud.

Turn on the toggle switches next to every category of app and content that you want to sync between the iPhone and iPad. Repeat this process with the second device.

The settings must be set identically on both devices for the sync to work.

Go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts and ensure the email accounts are set up the same on both devices.

Go to Settings > iTunes & App Store and turn on automatic downloads for Music, Apps, Books & Audiobooks, and Updates on both devices by moving the toggle switches next to them to the On/green position.

After you set up iCloud on both devices, they'll remain synced. This approach keeps the majority of your information identical across both devices. The iCloud is accessible on iOS, macOS, and Windows devices, and it keeps your data secure when it is in storage and when it is in transit.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup) said:

The Solution: iCloud 

If you want to keep the data on your iPhone and iPad in sync, use Apple iCloud to keep all your devices in sync at all times. As long as both your devices connect to the internet and have the same iCloud settings—and you access them using the same Apple ID—they'll stay in sync.

Here's how to set up iCloud:

Open the Settings app on one device, tap your name to open the Apple ID screen, then select iCloud.

Turn on the toggle switches next to every category of app and content that you want to sync between the iPhone and iPad. Repeat this process with the second device.

The settings must be set identically on both devices for the sync to work.

Go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts and ensure the email accounts are set up the same on both devices.

Go to Settings > iTunes & App Store and turn on automatic downloads for Music, Apps, Books & Audiobooks, and Updates on both devices by moving the toggle switches next to them to the On/green position.

After you set up iCloud on both devices, they'll remain synced. This approach keeps the majority of your information identical across both devices. The iCloud is accessible on iOS, macOS, and Windows devices, and it keeps your data secure when it is in storage and when it is in transit.

Thank you, I now see where I am going wrong then, I had wrongly assumed that once logged into Apple it would access the data. I do have iCloud on the phone already,so just need to configure this too.

Thanks again 👍

That’s why I said earlier, to just use iCloud to keep all your devices in sink, yes, it’s a little more hassle to set up initially, but once done, it just works seem less in the background.

So take a photo on your phone, then while browsing the forum on your iPad, the picture will be there in photos on the iPad too, and you can use it to post on here, etc.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

That’s why I said earlier, to just use iCloud to keep all your devices in sink, yes, it’s a little more hassle to set up initially, but once done, it just works seem less in the background.

So take a photo on your phone, then while browsing the forum on your iPad, the picture will be there in photos on the iPad too, and you can use it to post on here, etc.

Yeah I get it now, I still have an issue which I will look into tomorrow, the ipad is connected to the cloud as I can see the photos of the car I took today, but is still won't access my contacts from it despite it being access from the phone, which would be useful for messaging. I can see all my contacts on the PC here , so it should work on the ipad. It will be a simple permission setting, but to be honest after todays drive and emotional roller coaster ( uncle with dementia not expected to see Christmas and having seen him today I would concur) my mind isn't really in a techy place.

• Sad 1

Yep, not the time for sorting techie stuff like that out. 

Thoughts with you at such a difficult time. (Sadly, been there, got the T-shirt. Dementia is a loathsome, terrible thing.)

• Like 1