sim card newbie

Richard (OldStager)

hi

as some might know i dont currently own a mobile phone, however with things not going at all well on the wirral with my uncle, a trip down there is needed next week and i need one in case of breakdowns etc . a family member has an old iphone which they are sending me this week but it needs a sim card. i looked on a few websites and they want to know which size i want, there appears to be many versions size wise.

so

can anyone advise what size i need for an iphone, i was told its a iphone 5 if that helps.

thanks all

richard

It's a nano SIM Richard.  But most if not all these days come as a full size SIM from which you can push out a micro or a nano

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wow, fast replies, thank you so much, just shows what a newbie i am i wasn't aware it was an apple product 👶. off to the websites again.

thanks again.

17 minutes ago, OldStager said:

i wasn't aware it was an apple product

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (I laugh in admiration for you, not at you! Would have been so nice to have missed the Apple publicity behemoth, but not possible in my line)

• Haha 1

to be honest i only wanted a simple 1990's type mobile, the ones just meant talking to folks on, seems today, talking on a phone is perhaps the least of its uses.

a chat with my cousin last night revealed this spare iphone, so that is arriving today or tomorrow - i know it's an old model, that's fine it will have a old new owner, it's previous owner being 69....

besides which i drive a car based on one conceived in 1957, so i am not exactly a modern man 😅

30 minutes ago, OldStager said:

to be honest i only wanted a simple 1990's type mobile,

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/nokia/105-v5.deal.html?cid=PAIDSEARCH_Google_SC - Shopping - Nokia - Nokia 105 - Sim Free_SC - Shopping - Nokia - Nokia 105 - Sim Free ad group_pla-1436926415196&gclid=Cj0KCQiAweaNBhDEARIsAJ5hwbd_qAP4hIp9tYji-ZP683yvu9rPRezESEQrd7Tef8CqzQKaIFDifT8aAn51EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#!propsId=21788145

Loads more like that if you look on Google. All brand new but look and feel like the old 1990's phone you want.

"SIM Free" means you can use any SIM card from any provider with this phone. I ALWAYS make sure the phones I use are SIM Free.

• Thanks 1

if i dont get on with the one that's coming , that's a handy link thanks. i have just ordered a sim from giff gaff, which most of the family and some friends use , hope it works for me.

16 minutes ago, OldStager said:

if i dont get on with the one that's coming , that's a handy link thanks. i have just ordered a sim from giff gaff, which most of the family and some friends use , hope it works for me.

Assuming the phone is "unlocked" and you can use any network providers SIM card or that the phone previously had a giff gaff sim. If not, you have options; a) get the phone unlocked by a local tech/phone shop; 2) get a SIM from the provider that the phone is locked to.

• Like 1

ah, i knew it was all sounding a bit easy - i have no clue if the phone arriving is that type, maybe i should have just gone into town and gone to a shop instead, see what arrives anyway.

as long as i have something i can talk on by next tuesday then all is good.

• Like 2

Oh dear...slippery slope now I'm afraid! Once you get the taste for 'apps' and all the other uses you'll never go back (probably).

I use my phone as a SatNav in the Westy & Midlana and on occasion in the car, as the one MB provide is a total blithering idiot at times. (If I'm lucky that is, as on occasion it is positively evil. I'm pretty sure I'm on an MB ****list after setting the Ombudsman on them and the nav is their retribution.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't get chance to read the whole thread, but all sims are shipped ready to be "pushed out" tot eh size you need.

Nem......

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

I didn't get chance to read the whole thread, but all sims are shipped ready to be "pushed out" tot eh size you need.

Nem......

cheers, i have since posting this morning learnt that, so i assume that the sites requesting what size you want just pre-select the size for me before dispatch.

also some good news in the last hour, my cousin tells me the phone was purchased sim free, as she went with her mum to buy it i think, so that's one less thing to worry about.

41 minutes ago, corsechris said:

Oh dear...slippery slope now I'm afraid! Once you get the taste for 'apps' and all the other uses you'll never go back (probably).

I use my phone as a SatNav in the Westy & Midlana and on occasion in the car, as the one MB provide is a total blithering idiot at times. (If I'm lucky that is, as on occasion it is positively evil. I'm pretty sure I'm on an MB ****list after setting the Ombudsman on them and the nav is their retribution.)

i suspect you may be right, as per usual, richard turns up to the party late once again. been meaning to get one for months now, but there had to be a really good reason why first.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

just to finish up this thread

woohoo

sim card arrived and all working, finally richard gets into the 21st century....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well it’s taken me while to work out how  I work  the internet  on this thing hopefully this will post

• Like 2