CH4 to show Final F1 race live Sunday

XTR2Turbo

My take on this.

Max on the soft tyre's should have blasted away off the line and led at least the first 10 laps, but he didn't.

At turn 5 (?) Lewis was taking a normal racing line and Max left his braking so late and stuck his nose up the inside that Lewis had to go off track to avoid a collision and kept his position, did he give enough back? maybe, maybe not. Then Lewis put in fastest lap after fastest lap and pulled away from Max, even though Max had faster tyre's.

Then Perez got involved and helped Max close within 2 seconds of Lewis, but again Lewis pulled away, the race was in Lewis's bag and there was nothing Max or Red Bull could do about. Lewis was going to be champion.

Then Latifi and the stewards got involved.................

What a ridiculous finish to a multi million pound high tech sport :bangshead:

• Like 2

A finish behind the pace car was what should have happened. Boring, yes, but not the first time that has happened.  LH had won that race and MV was not going to catch him. The choice was to let ALL the lapped cars pass or none, not just a few to fabricate a result. The rule is quite clear. Those cars are also supposed to rejoin the back before the pace car is called in.

Masi decided that result.  Yes, RB made a great call (they had nothing to lose) and MB made the only one they could have, but ultimately, the result was massaged by the race director (not the stewards), and not the first time this season either.

I don’t see the MB appeal getting anywhere frankly, but I think Masi has blotted his copybook once too often now.

• Like 3

I bet Masi won't be race director next season.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Paul Hurdsfield - Joint Manchester AO said:

I wont be watching if he is... no point

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul Hurdsfield - Joint Manchester AO said:

I was listening to Martin brundle afterwards and he asked a question of who would be there to replace him? As far as I understand he was serving his "apprenticeship" under Charlie and then was dropped into the hotseat after Charlie passed away? 

I am pleased in one respect that mercedes grip on the sport has been broken. But it's not the way it should have happened.

After this epic season we shouldn't all be talking about the ref. 

Don’t forget Mercedes won the constructors championship! I’m glad to see they had to work for it though.

For me, the season has been characterised by two things overall - Max performing endless dodgy ‘sends’ with little regard for his competitors and inconsistent Stewards decisions & race direction.

Someone needs to point out that the job title is Race Director, not Results Dictator. As for who should do it, no clue, other than it shouldn’t be Masi. Maybe Flavio Briatori would consider it?? He’s got the credentials based on the performance Sunday.

Anyhoo, next year will be interesting with the rule changes and the winter break should be full of exciting litigious events…… (I jest). 

I think the approach of Mercedes to the "sport" of F1 can be summed up by the fact that they took a barrister to the Middle East with them!

56 minutes ago, corsechris said:

Masi. Maybe Flavio Briatori would consider it?? He’s got the credentials based on the performance Sunday.

:oops: :d :d :d 

I am glad Max won but already there is the undertones doing the rounds that he cheated his way to the championship, which is unfair.

This year Max has had an inferior car, all the experts accept that and he has had some decisions go against him which seemed to be as a result of Toto throwing his weight around.

I think LH benefitted from that level of intimidation from Toto as some penalties were not applied to him when they were to Max, but others need to decide if they feel the same way. LH is undoubtedly the best driver in the current era but he has had the best package for most of that time.

I read before that many drivers gave Schumacher, Senna and Prost extra room either in deference or fear as they were winners. What has happened this year is Max has shown he fears no one not even LH and over the season has been the best driver,

As Djm said the fact they had a barrister on the team on hand to go to the stewards shows something in the way they operate when things do not go their way.

In all sport the ref's decision is final only in F1 as I can recall has there ever been so much litigation used after the race or competition is over. This will run and run I fear

Next season with the new rules it will be interesting as Red bull are good at aero and the bigger question will be about George Russell. If he is allowed to race he may well take wins off LH. Bottas was often faster but was often kept from winning. I would be great if the cars are even and we see Max win again it vindicates his position, if LH wins then it reinforces his legacy

1 hour ago, djm said:

I think the approach of Mercedes to the "sport" of F1 can be summed up by the fact that they took a barrister to the Middle East with them!

It is BIG business. Also, my understanding is that he was there as one of many guests, not in anticipation of needing his advice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally, I think that any further appeal by Mercedes is doomed to failure. The rules weren't followed by all accounts, but neither driver and neither pit crew broke the rules. So if an appeal tribunal found that the race director broke the rules, then who can the tribunal meaningfully penalise? I would argue that neither team and neither driver can reasonably be penalised for a mistake by the race director. In effect, the race director's decision is final, for good or bad.

Yes I agree with you Jeff especially about Toto throwing his weight around. It was interesting yesterday when Perez (RB) made it difficult for Hamilton to pass he said it was "dangerous" driving and Toto was straight on to the stewards. Yet earlier in the season when Lando Norris (McClaren) did the same Hamilton praised him as a good driver!