Covid Vaccine Poll

Captain Colonial

Covid Vaccine Poll  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's a strange one. I tested positive aswell as my daughter. My wife is still negative although she decamped into the spare room on Monday as she's working this week. And yet the 3 of us spent all weekend together at close proximity including 2 hours in the car together Sunday. 

I have zero symptoms at all. Daughter had minimal symptoms briefly on Monday. I only tested her to rule it out and I only found out because of that.

I can only assume there are far more asymptomatic cases where people genuinely are unaware. But then I always thought asymptomatic people didn't transmit as readily? Or has that changed with omicron aswell?

2 hours ago, corsechris said:

Latest figures from REACT-1 are suggesting that neither vaccination nor previous exposure is reducing the viral load, meaning that being vaccinated or not has no impact on how contagious one is when infected with Omicron

I haven't seen, and can't find, any react studies measuring viral load, I thought they were just tracking levels of infection in the community - I would be very interested in a link. 

1 hour ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

It's a strange one. I tested positive aswell as my daughter. My wife is still negative although she decamped into the spare room on Monday as she's working this week. And yet the 3 of us spent all weekend together at close proximity including 2 hours in the car together Sunday. 

I have zero symptoms at all. Daughter had minimal symptoms briefly on Monday. I only tested her to rule it out and I only found out because of that.

I can only assume there are far more asymptomatic cases where people genuinely are unaware. But then I always thought asymptomatic people didn't transmit as readily? Or has that changed with omicron aswell?

Interesting. As it happens, my family had a very similar experience.

Grandson caught the virus; his father (my son-in-law) spent about 3 hours in the car with him (admittedly with windows open and masks on) and didn't catch the virus. Yet my daughter did catch the virus, and my grand-daughter didn't. All living in the same house, and daughter and son-in-law sharing a bedroom! So how could that happen? 

I should add that both parents were fully vacinated, grandson had 2 jabs and awaiting his booster (he's 19) and grand-daughter has had 2 jabs, aged 16.

I've been living with my daughter and wife both have had covid for the last two weeks between them,both mild symptoms, cough loss of taste,headaches,tiredness etc.

I'm un vaccinated and haven't really isolated from either of them and never caught it🤷🏾‍♂️

5 hours ago, jim_l said:

I haven't seen, and can't find, any react studies measuring viral load, I thought they were just tracking levels of infection in the community - I would be very interested in a link. 

I got that from here @11:45 ish,

but must apologise as I mis-spoke a critical point, it was in children 15-17 where the viral load showed no difference.

A serious clanger I dropped there, sincere apologies. Cock-up, not conspiracy to mislead.

Would that suggest that mask wearing in schools should have continued, or do we just get on with it and accept everyone is going to get exposed to Omicron? Probably time to accept it’s becoming endemic, vaccinate wherever possible when risk/reward is appropriate. 

21 hours ago, jim_l said:

Don't follow this link if you want a happy day today: 

https://gero.usc.edu/2020/12/08/century-covid-pandemic-risk/

what are their prospects for long and healthy lives, we will begin to find out, and may still be finding out in decades to come. 

Told myself I wouldn't post in here again... but in the interests of interesting discussion...

I looked up what drugs were used to treat the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, and their side effects.

Is it possible that the long term effects mentioned in the above link could be attributed to the drugs and not the disease?

See half way down this page for list of treatments. If you pop the name of the drug followed by 'side effects' into Google, you get some interesting results: https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/fluscimed.html

For example:

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-93171/epinephrine-intramuscular/details/list-sideeffects

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/acetylsalicylic-acid-side-effects.html

https://www.rxlist.com/consumer_sodium_bicarbonate_baking_soda/drugs-condition.htm

I doubt all of these side effects will have been known at the time of administering the drugs, and many of them are consistent with the sort of long term health issues discussed.

Which brings me onto a second point - what are the prospects for those who have taken up all the Covid jabs, will we still be finding out the side effects in years to come?

I do appreciate the medical profession has come a long way in 100 years, and a lot of people have put a lot of research in - but we have no long term data for them at this time.

• Like 1

@AdamR I don’t think there are often clearcut answers to these questions. I’d imagine the “we don’t know what we don’t know” line works well both in 1918 and now. Back then, they could see people dieing so did what they could with the knowledge they had. The alternative of do nothing was no more valid then than it would be now. 

We don’t know NOW what the long term effects of the vaccination or the infection will be. We’ll find out. In the short term, vaccination IS saving lives.

Just my view.

• Like 2

I have a dilemma myself regarding the booster jab. I was double vaccinated with AZ, no problem. I have an allergy risk that means I've been referred to the (not-so-local) hospital allergy department for my Pfizer booster - I've been told to buy a particular anti-histamine and take it before and after the booster.

I've avoided catching Covid so far despite both of my children and wife having it at times (or I've had no symptoms) - I'm seriously questioning why I'd want to risk the allergic reaction to a booster that appears to have a limited time effectiveness and no benefit to others around me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdamR said:

Told myself I wouldn't post in here again... but in the interests of interesting discussion...

Nice to hear from you again mate,  I am finally packing and organising for some time in the sun, so will have to avoid getting into detail on this one with you, though it has progressed the discussion and is interesting. 

1 hour ago, AdamR said:

what are the prospects for those who have taken up all the Covid jabs, will we still be finding out the side effects in years to come?

My point was, when we balance illness vs medicine, we must not only count deaths, but account for frequency and severity of adverse effects on both. We will never be able to refer to the future for guidance, only the present and the past, so what do we know that might enable us to predict what might happen? 

In the history of vaccines, some harm as been done, on rare occasions a vaccine has done more harm than good, mostly though they have done tremendous good.  I believe the current vaccines gave us a year of our lives back, and saved 200,000 lives. The science of what is in these vaccines and their mechanisms has concluded they are highly unlikely to do severe or lasting harm, which I agree doesn't make it impossible. 

Viruses, and the Cytokine storm of an Immune overreaction to them, however, are known to be devastating to body and mind. The mechanisms are fully understood and can be predicted, and they are increasingly being linked to cancers and chronic diseases.  I am not going to list them , someone suggested my last post was 'terrifying' and I don't want that,  It is emerging science , some concrete links have been established, many are at the hypothesis stage. 

I will give you one example:

A Danish study (61,000 people) concluded that "people who were diagnosed with the flu were 73 percent more likely to be diagnosed with Parkinson’s more than a decade later than were people who’d never had a flu diagnosis" 

University of Utah neurobiologist Jason Shepherd - he finds a connection between viral infections and neurodegenerative conditions such as Parkinson’s to be plausible, because “anything that can trigger an inflammatory response in the brain can be a trigger for subsequent neurodegeneration.”

I could fill a book with this stuff, it wouldn't be a great read, but as I have said, we are all backing a horse here to some extent. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AdamR said:

Which brings me onto a second point - what are the prospects for those who have taken up all the Covid jabs, will we still be finding out the side effects in years to come?

We will all be long gone when they release the details in 75 years🤦‍♂️🙄👎

55 minutes ago, CosKev said:

We will all be long gone when they release the details in 75 years🤦‍♂️🙄👎

I thought the same thing TBH. No way I'm living long enough to see long term effects of a vaccine, should they occur!

• Like 1

While I'm in a sleep deprived loquacious mood....a general thought.

Plenty of folk knowingly eat, drink and inhale things that shorten their lives, most of us do it with glee. Seems a bit churlish to be endlessly picking holes in something, that's intended at least, to save and/or extend our lives and reduce our risks of ill health and complications. 

How many of us would be here if modern medicine didn't do what it does? Ironically, given my own world-view, I think it's been something of a wasted effort tbh - just look at what we do with the gift of life, but that's a whole other topic.

3 minutes ago, corsechris said:

Plenty of folk knowingly eat, drink and inhale things that shorten their lives, most of us do it with glee

Indeed,  yet we don't tend to vilify those people in the media on a near daily basis. What a two faced species we are.