• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Any Stargazers Here?

SootySport

Our sky vanished just before 5 this evening as the fog rolled back in...

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Blatman said:

Hoping to see the Aurora Borealis in the next few days:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-64783923

Good luck. No chance for me as I’m tied to the house (Mrs Stu away, little one to look after) and there’s a rather inconvenient hill to our North! I normally count my astronomical blessings here, with a reasonably dark sky and a great southern horizon, but it’s no good for aurora spotting.

Jupiter and Venus are putting on a fine show at the moment though so I’ve been consoling myself with them. Wednesday was lovely, both near the crescent Moon. On 1st they will be very close together (0.7 degrees). Last night they were three degrees apart, looked more.

5A048FA2-180C-4A5F-A34B-C5400A609FDF.jpeg.0d8e4c48eaad88c0704ca47d1a0c3885.jpeg

0DCF8C55-02A2-4455-8C9C-87375D92BE2A.thumb.jpeg.5a1d735634227047d75240d1f793a793.jpeg

• Like 3

Isn't (or, wasn't) Neptune in the mix as well? Quite close to the moon so it was blocked out by the moons reflection but I think it was there.

There's been a great view of Orion over the last few days. Too much light pollution in London to see much detail elsewhere though. 

If it's clear tonight I might take a trip to a dark, quiet hill not too far away and see what I can see, Aurora Borealis-wise at least. Wandering around in the dark with a pair of binoculars can be a risky undertaking round here :oops: 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Blatman said:

Isn't (or, wasn't) Neptune in the mix as well? Quite close to the moon so it was blocked out by the moons reflection but I think it was there.

There's been a great view of Orion over the last few days. Too much light pollution in London to see much detail elsewhere though. 

If it's clear tonight I might take a trip to a dark, quiet hill not too far away and see what I can see, Aurora Borealis-wise at least. Wandering around in the dark with a pair of binoculars can be a risky undertaking round here :oops: 

Yes, Neptune was nearby, better places a week or so back but it’s pretty faint, needs a scope so nothing like as good as the naked eye planets.

Orion looks great at the moment, though heading past its best now I guess.

Be careful out there! 😱🤣

4 hours ago, Blatman said:

Take a dog... Nobody expects a dog owner to be a predator!

...I haven't got a dog...

'Dogging isn't walking the hound I discover... 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

A dog isn't just for a Friday night you know! :suspect:

You're right. There's Saturday morning too... :oops:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Blatman said:

You're right. There's Saturday morning too... :oops:

Not if you chew your arm off in time...

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

Not if you chew your arm off in time...

I see you've met me... 😄 

• Haha 1

From the safety of my own garden this evening 😉, I caught a nice long break in the cloud and saw the conjunction, naked eye and through the scope. Wasn’t expecting to see it, so was a nice surprise.

4FF5855C-F9CE-4448-969D-C03A26F089E9.jpeg

880CA5DC-DBC3-440B-B565-0FF58A78D8A3.jpeg

8EB5E800-6EB4-4B4D-BB82-5307D6BC17A4.png

9B219748-D1CC-4B80-8E55-DA53F28719BD.jpeg

• Like 1

This was the view here in Thailand, taken with an iPhone 11.E0C6603D-7A35-48EB-8E7E-097E0EBA97B0.thumb.jpeg.d86ad5daadf0c7403043741439015e2d.jpeg

• Like 1