Any Stargazers Here?

SootySport

Can anyone recommend a beginners telescope for watching the moon, local planets etc.  Budget £500 -£1000.  

Christ! For that budget you could get a potentially professional telescope! I paid £60 for mine and its great for moon gazing! 🤣 I consider this to be a beginners telescope! 

16121014376813170008670704394794.thumb.jpg.a016ad63001fd77c6dfcfaf7086138b5.jpg

Although it would benefit from a better tripod, but this would cost about £100 for a half decent one. Didn't want to go too mad until I'd tried it out first. 

Save some budget for a couple of decent eyepiece lenses.

Some decent advice here I think:  https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/xmas-telescope-buying-guide.html

It's a very chicken & egg thing though, as different instruments have different strengths and suit different activities better. Don't spend too much at first....but don't spend too little either or you'll be disappointed and possibly disillusioned with the whole deal.

Another thing you have to come to terms with is the you will never see with your naked eye anything even close to the images you'll see on the internet. But, there is no way even the most stunning image can compare with actually seeing the planets for yourself.

Too many years ago to confess, my first 'scope was a Tasco 66TE, back when they were made in Japan, and my eyes worked. Sadly, that name isn't worth what it was these days, so avoid the cheap ones.

I did look seriously at Skywatcher Dobsonian GoTo scopes at one point, but ended up buying a used Meade ETX125 from a friend. It's pretty decent for what I want, which is very occasional ad-hoc usage. It has GoTo tech, but I rarely use it.

A big mirror reflector on a simple mount, with a couple of decent eyepieces would be a good start IMO.

Good start fellas, looks like I don’t have to fork out as much as I thought. It’s the Mrs who wants one and She likes the idea of the wireless versions.  We’ll go through Harrison’s catalogue, lots of info there.

Hi, I was bought a Skywatcher 130M a few years ago with a few different filters and lens adapters. Very much an amateur and it can do far more than I know what to do with it (same as the westy on track!) Next would be a camera mount but with the scope and a mobile phone you can get nice and close to the moon 

image.png.635d732623bad2c01929ee0656c3de50.png

• Like 3

Actually, @SootySport if you wanted to ‘dip your toes’ into this for next to nothing, I bought a ‘travel scope’ some years ago to take on holiday. It’s only a 90mm Newtonian reflector but it’s surprisingly decent given how cheap it was.

If you’ve any interest, I’ll dig it out and get some details. 

• Like 1

It's not quite what I thought..it's better. It's a 90mm Maksutov.  A Skywatcher MAK90EQ/TA   Very much like this apart from it has a table-top mount, not a full size tripod.

http://www.skywatcher.com/product/bk-mak90-eq1/

Manual here:

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Sky-Watcher-Sk-Mak90-Eq-Ta-4150355.html

It is in as-new condition, everything present and correct (2 eyepieces, 10 & 25mm, prism, Barlow lens, red-dot finder scope, equatorial table-top mount) and also comes with a DIY adapter I made so I could use it with a full-size ENG camera tripod I used to borrow from work from time to time.

Offers??  (There's one on eBay at the moment, with the tripod at £125 - hint, I don't want that much).

As I say, I bought it for holidays, but there was way too much light pollution at one of our favourite destinations, and the baggage allowance to our other favourite won't allow for it, so it got used once in Florida and that was it. If I could have taken it to the Maldives, the viewing would have been superb.

The scope that Chris is offering would be an excellent place to start any stargazing hobby with! It's a shame I've got a rolling road session booked next month otherwise I'd be very interested (giving @SootySport first dibs obvs...) 

10 hours ago, corsechris said:

It's not quite what I thought..it's better. It's a 90mm Maksutov.  A Skywatcher MAK90EQ/TA   Very much like this apart from it has a table-top mount, not a full size tripod.

http://www.skywatcher.com/product/bk-mak90-eq1/

Manual here:

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Sky-Watcher-Sk-Mak90-Eq-Ta-4150355.html

It is in as-new condition, everything present and correct (2 eyepieces, 10 & 25mm, prism, Barlow lens, red-dot finder scope, equatorial table-top mount) and also comes with a DIY adapter I made so I could use it with a full-size ENG camera tripod I used to borrow from work from time to time.

Offers??  (There's one on eBay at the moment, with the tripod at £125 - hint, I don't want that much).

As I say, I bought it for holidays, but there was way too much light pollution at one of our favourite destinations, and the baggage allowance to our other favourite won't allow for it, so it got used once in Florida and that was it. If I could have taken it to the Maldives, the viewing would have been superb.

That should do to start with,  can you pm a price and do you reckon it’s ok to post. 
Thanks Chris.

8 hours ago, SootySport said:

That should do to start with,  can you pm a price and do you reckon it’s ok to post. 
Thanks Chris.

I’m sure I can pack it well enough to ship safely. It came in the post originally but I can’t recall how well packed it was. I’ll get a shipping estimate then PM you a price.

I’ll do a few pictures of the actual device too, don’t expect anyone to take my word for anything!

32 minutes ago, corsechris said:

I’ll do a few pictures of the actual device

As always, we do love pictures... 😁

As a tease, this is my Meade ETX125AT

ETX125.jpg.c9bb9e90e7bffde3862e74b9e278d4ff.jpg

A 125mm Maksutov/Cassegrain with Autostar GoTo.

Like everything it seems, this one was made in the US, but since about 2011, they are all made in China, and apparently, the current 'Meade' is the same optical tube as the factory makes for Explore Scientific and Bresser. That said, it's supposed to be OK.   Anyhoo, I digress, as usual.

I really must try printing a phone mount to try some of these moon pictures with my ETX.

Pics of the Skywatcher in a bit.

• Like 2