Any Stargazers Here?

SootySport

That's some picture from a phone! I know it's on a 'scope but even so, that's very cool.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blatman said:

That's some picture from a phone! I know it's on a 'scope but even so, that's very cool.

Yes, it’s quite amazing technology 👍

Oh wow. That’s remarkable. It’s exactly how it looks in my imagination ;)

Did the phone do the tracking or the ‘scope?

I did look at making a phone adapter for my ‘scope but never got round to it. Perhaps I really should.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corsechris said:

Oh wow. That’s remarkable. It’s exactly how it looks in my imagination ;)

Did the phone do the tracking or the ‘scope?

I did look at making a phone adapter for my ‘scope but never got round to it. Perhaps I really should.

Be good if we could see it like that wouldn’t it?

This was taken through a scope on a tracking mount. You need a tracking mount as the app stacks the subs but doesn’t correct for drift. It just has to be a basic alt-az, no need for an equatorial mount.

This was the rig I used when taking the image, bit of overkill but it was the easiest Goto mount to get set up.

To use the Pixel phones, they have to be perfectly still to enable the Astrophotography mode, so they need to be properly mounted to the eyepiece. I have a few different phone mounts, even some of the cheap ones can work very well.

19FDE1FE-1499-4F06-9621-4FAEBC7D1CCC.jpeg

• Like 2

I’ve got a Meade ETX 125 with a GoTo mount which should do the job. A while back I designed and printed a mount for my old phone but never actually used it. I’ll see if I can make on for the new phone and give it a go. 

No stacking on my phone though, have to see if there’s an App for that… ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, corsechris said:

I’ve got a Meade ETX 125 with a GoTo mount which should do the job. A while back I designed and printed a mount for my old phone but never actually used it. I’ll see if I can make on for the new phone and give it a go. 

No stacking on my phone though, have to see if there’s an App for that… ;)

That will do the job. Which phone do you have? There is an app called NightCap which I don’t use but plenty of people think is good for longer exposures. There aren’t any stacking apps that I know of, although Nocturne is worth looking at for phone only shots of the Milky Way etc

iPhone 14 plus, not Pro, so no Astro mode.

I'll look for some apps.

👍

4 hours ago, corsechris said:

iPhone 14 plus, not Pro, so no Astro mode.

I'll look for some apps.

👍

I use an app called ProCam 8 on my iPhone, which is good for the Moon and Planets. Managed this one of Jupiter with a shadow transit of one of its moons (the black dot is the shadow) a little while back.

01D8D3CF-DC11-4FBF-82CA-FCF47AD1FF64.jpeg

• Like 4

The Sun is very busy at the moment, lots of active regions on show. Currently there is a huge sunspot which is large enough to be visible even just through eclipse glasses so worth a look if you have some. Just check they have no holes or damage before looking.

Obviously never look at the sun through a scope unless it’s got proper protective filters on it and you know how to use it safely.

These are a couple of smartphone shots through mine. The views are much better than this but they give an idea.

6EAA76D9-2645-4061-9CE1-DC67D064DA6D.jpeg

90CE424D-371F-464A-A751-18D9B9846449.jpeg

0A3322B5-4B73-4695-8BD4-8A2EDB85DC22.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ISS tonight. 

Time: Tue Jan 24 5:30 PM, Visible: 7 min, Max Height: 53°, Appears: 10° above WSW, Disappears: 10° above E

• Like 1

3 hours ago, corsechris said:

ISS tonight. 

Time: Tue Jan 24 5:30 PM, Visible: 7 min, Max Height: 53°, Appears: 10° above WSW, Disappears: 10° above E

Saw it last night doing a bright pass right overhead. Always enjoy seeing it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, corsechris said:

ISS tonight. 

next 7 nights as well !

thumbnail_IMG_0706.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely views of the crescent Moon this evening.

35F0D1E0-B95E-470B-8087-D3C3D2EB1241.jpeg

• Like 3