• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Any Stargazers Here?

SootySport

Only one I can find is this one, is it the same fitting ?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264392666526

All the other suppliers are waiting for stock except one, but they are asking £229

It looks like it should fit....but I wouldn't want to swear to it.  The ‘legs only’ bit is slightly worrying/ambiguous. i’d want clarification that what you get is everything shown in those images top yoke and spreader etc.

I’m just off out to collect a trailer, then off for the IVA retest so can’t spend any time on it today, but can you search on the Skywatcher EQ5 mount (which it lists as compatible) and get any dimensions for the fitting, then compare with what you have?

Apologies for hi-jacking, my son 12years, is selling his Orion  Observer 11 telescope. He has a number of accessories available too. If anyone is interested. 

Orion Observer II 70mm Equatorial Refractor Telescope Kit

Works well but he has lost interest as it takes time to set up!

Andy

Whilst idly looking for something interesting to learn, I came across an amazing thing that I am sure lots of people already know, but I had no idea... The OU offer free courses! They're not long or in depth but none-the-less, they're free. Why am I saying this in here? Well in the Science Maths and Technology section there are several astronomy based items that could well be worth a look.

The full list of all the options is here.

Click on a banner and wonder at the sheer amount of free learning available. Why this hasn't been broadcast from the rooftops, especially during lockdown, is beyond me. But that's a whole other discussion.

I've had to start a new Bookmark folder in my browser...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Blatman said:

Whilst idly looking for something interesting to learn, I came across an amazing thing that I am sure lots of people already know, but I had no idea... The OU offer free courses! They're not long or in depth but none-the-less, they're free. Why am I saying this in here? Well in the Science Maths and Technology section there are several astronomy based items that could well be worth a look.

Click on a banner and wonder at the sheer amount of free learning available. Why this hasn't been broadcast from the rooftops, especially during lockdown, is beyond me. But that's a whole other discussion.

Will have a looksie athat, thanks

OT drift on/

I started my BBC career at the OUPC as was (Open University Production Centre). One day would be fun with high power lasers, the next was Shakespeare, although one task I had at one stage was dubbing batches of three 1 hour programmes onto 90 minute 2” tapes for transmission in the wee hours....that got pretty dull at times given we did 12 hour shifts. Only thing keeping you on your toes was wrangling the Ampex VR2000 2” quad VT machines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadruplex_videotape

Proper dark-arts stuff keeping those beasts in line :)

OT drift off/

10 hours ago, Blatman said:

I had no idea about this either! Myself and my daughter are both going to enrol on a level 1 course fairly soon! Thanks Blatters! 👍

• 1 year later...

Just digging this one up as it is Astro related.

For anyone interested, Mars is at its closest approach tonight and is very close to the full Moon right now. At about 5am it will pass behind the Moon (called an occultation), so this mad person will be setting his alarm to go out and have a look 🤪😴

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fatblokestu said:

Just digging this one up as it is Astro related.

For anyone interested, Mars is at its closest approach tonight and is very close to the full Moon right now. At about 5am it will pass behind the Moon (called an occultation), so this mad person wil be setting his alarm to go out and have a look 🤪😴

Likewise, although I am still up looking at it now so I may just stay up all night 😄

• Like 1

Very close to the equator at the moment and noticed Mars was bright and close to the moon last night. Will see if it’s visible again later. 

Colour not apparent here, but it was distinctly ‘ruddy’ to the eye. 

5E051A5B-9C94-44A2-90A7-354BC149913E.thumb.jpeg.e4a0ce2c90656ffc19fcf7a53ef71f53.jpeg

• Like 1

In Bristol last night approx 1830hrs you could see Moon, Mars, Uranus (very feint) and Jupiter in a line from Moon @ 7 O'clock to Jupiter @ 1 o'clock - my kids loved it!

Went to get tripod and headed out to 'dark hill' but cloud front had swept in - booo no pictures 

• Like 3

SWMBO still using the telescope now and again.  Some strange views of the moon this year, seems larger and closer to the earth than ever before.

3 hours ago, SootySport said:

SWMBO still using the telescope now and again.  Some strange views of the moon this year, seems larger and closer to the earth than ever before.

Same distance as ever, varies a little for the so called Super Moons when it’s a bit closer but nothing too dramatic. Always looks huge when it is down low near the horizon but that is an optical illusion.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bought myself a Google Pixel 6 Pro recently, specifically for the Astrophotography mode. This takes 4 minute exposures when the camera is held perfectly still ie tripod mounted.

I gave it a go the other night, looking though my 4” scope. Pretty amazed by the results on the Orion Nebula!

A4C4053C-BDB1-4EF0-95A1-F953B24769FD.thumb.jpeg.9c8433a30c9563d3050850d2a3af0f74.jpeg

47606D57-58BB-44AC-A165-8FACD838EFFA.thumb.jpeg.e08eb8368ec5c71ecaf7e626de32de55.jpeg

• Like 8