• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Any Stargazers Here?

SootySport

Fliiping heck ya get called a peeping tom with a small drone around here in barnsley

Wats that guna get ya round here in barnsley

6 month i presume  officer😂

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Barnsley John said:

Fliiping heck ya get called a peeping tom with a small drone around here in barnsley

Sorry off the topic  but we need cheering up

And i get out in 5 month

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Barnsley John said:

I’ll be able to keep an eye you from Essex so be a good boy.

On 04/02/2021 at 11:55, corsechris said:

Some pictures.

IMG_2546.thumb.jpg.75ad94372a3fca66923fb1bf70a9821c.jpg

IMG_2551.thumb.jpg.15c6685af0483d0da6cd4b6a1c255839.jpg

IMG_2547.thumb.jpg.335dff194e6838535df8b5925971979e.jpg

IMG_2549.thumb.jpg.ec0541e1273a88ff4b50ae6a74ab90ac.jpg

IMG_2550.thumb.jpg.963154f52747640dcb3bb417e4f5eb73.jpg

Nice carry case as well👍
Going to be a surprise present for her indoors, haven’t told her yet.  

51 minutes ago, SootySport said:

Nice carry case as well👍
Going to be a surprise present for her indoors, haven’t told her yet.  

I tried that with Mrs D and she was less than impressed... :getmecoat:😂

If you have an iPad, Star Walk HD is pretty good for finding your way around the sky too.

Right, off to the loft to find suitable packing materials....

Used Stellarium myself. Quite enjoyed it, especially the night vision mode. Very handy...

• Like 1

My telescope arrived safely today👍 thanks to @corsechris super packaging skills.  Think I need Dr. Brian Cox to put it together or it’ll take as long as a Westfield build😀

C5F51EE4-F45A-4980-8F0E-0D3310941C32.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Glad it arrived in good order Bernie - happy stargazing :)

I was in two minds about including the bodged DIY Sachtler adapter but though 'why not', it might come in handy.....just don't try making it fit the Sky-Watcher bits or that'll be a really puzzler ;) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/02/2021 at 13:40, corsechris said:

Glad it arrived in good order Bernie - happy stargazing :)

I was in two minds about including the bodged DIY Sachtler adapter but though 'why not', it might come in handy.....just don't try making it fit the Sky-Watcher bits or that'll be a really puzzler ;) 

Hi again, we’ve being doing a bit of moon watching and find the telescope shows really good detail.   I want to buy a full size tripod as the table top version is a pain to use out in the garden.  I don’t really know what to buy and what would fit, been trying to call Harrison’s and other suppliers but as they are closed they only answer emails.   
Can I just remove the table legs and the part they screw into then fit onto the full size tripod?  Looks like the screw fitting is a 3/8” camera tripod screw,  so is there an adaptor to fit on a camera tripod or is it better to buy a proper telescope tripod?   I’ve been perusing the suppliers websites but now confused on which EQ mounts fit my telescope.   

FC9C1AF2-F834-46F7-9EB8-4633FBECBCFF.jpeg

This one looks decent:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/sky-watcher-38-stainless-steel-tripod.html

It accepts the mount you already have, so there's that. Alternatives including the EQ mount are going to be a lot more expensive, but do give you options for future upgrades I suppose...at a price of course.

The extra bodged monstrosity I included was to fit the existing EQ mount, using that thread in your picture, to a professional ENG camera tripod like this one https://www.visuals.co.uk/camera-support/brands/sachtler-tripods/14343-5386.html

That’s probably more than you’d want to spend!!

If you do go for a tripod that includes a new EQ mount, there are a few fixing options on the mounting of the optical tube you have so you should be fine with pretty much any you pick.

It’s upgrade-itus in a way. You can easily spend £5k on just a Vixen EQ & tripod.

Given the weight of the tube and EQ mount you have, a typical SLR style camera tripod isn’t going to be up to the task.

TBH, a DIY solution might be worth looking at. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/sky-watcher-38-stainless-steel-tripod.html
It’s out of stock.  Did try my camera tripod but only one 1/4” screw so not stable and difficult to find the target.  The above tripod would be perfect, just to find one now.

• Like 1

Good luck with the hunt.  The Skywatcher one I linked to is apparently a decent upgrade on the one they supply with most of the cheaper scopes.