Coy Carp ponds

dombanks

On 21/01/2021 at 12:49, dombanks said:

My house has came with a pond that has some of these coy beasts in

I haven’t asked yet but I can’t help it - why are your fish shy?  Maybe you should approach them quietly and spend time praising them to build up their self-esteem.

• Haha 2

You know what they say on here it doesn’t exist if there is no photos plus if they are 20 years old they are going to be quite valuable.   

On 22/01/2021 at 15:37, Scott Young said:

I haven’t asked yet but I can’t help it - why are your fish shy?  Maybe you should approach them quietly and spend time praising them to build up their self-esteem.

there's always one .... and its most likely you ... lol :) 

• Thanks 1

It is usual for coy carp to be very sluggish in the winter and hardly move. They dont fees when the water temp is below 8deg and conserve energy by moving very little. 
not a good idea to see if they can move by proding them as they can go into shock and die.

the more you feed them in the summer months, the more they will get used to you and start coming to the surface when they see you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They stay on the bottom in winter because the water is warmer at the bottom koi ponds are at least a meter deep so that the water stays at a more constant temperature if you have a submersible pump you can lift it up in the winter. 

no way in the world this is a meter deep. I doubt it was even considered when originally out in. If its got a leak then ill put a more suitable liner in but given their age, they have been in it for years, and its bleeding cold, im guessing its best just to leave them be. 

On a related topic (well, this is the internet), for when the weather is warmer and we are allowed out again, I can recommend the Coy Carp in Harefield.  It's situated on the Grand Union canal and River Colne.  The food are drink are excellent, and there is a nice outdoor area over-looking the water.  The car park is good, so it's a good destination for a drive-out.  It's best to book, as they do get busy.

https://www.vintageinn.co.uk/restaurants/london/thecoycarpharefielduxbridge

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geoffd said:

On a related topic (well, this is the internet), for when the weather is warmer and we are allowed out again, I can recommend the Coy Carp in Harefield.  It's situated on the Grand Union canal and River Colne.  The food are drink are excellent, and there is a nice outdoor area over-looking the water.  The car park is good, so it's a good destination for a drive-out.  It's best to book, as they do get busy.

:laugh: Sorry, is this to eat the Coy, or look at them? :suspect: :o :getmecoat:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, geoffd said:

Near Denham Aerodrome? Seconded, a favourite spot of mine for a “customer meeting” (when I had a job). 

"Sorry, is this to eat the Coy, or look at them?" 

I'm not keen on sushi!

"Near Denham Aerodrome? Seconded, a favourite spot of mine for a “customer meeting” (when I had a job)."

That's the place.  Denham to Harefield is but a blink of an eye in a Westfield.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, geoffd said:

"Sorry, is this to eat the Coy, or look at them?" 

I'm not keen on sushi!

As the Bavarians eat Carp.... deep fried in a very thin crispy batter.

Yum, yum!!

4 hours ago, geoffd said:

That's the place.  Denham to Harefield is but a blink of an eye in a Westfield.

Depends how much of the road is blocked to accommodate the HS2 works that are going on by the lakes...

6 hours ago, Blatman said:

Depends how much of the road is blocked to accommodate the HS2 works that are going on by the lakes...

Don’t get me started.  High Expense 2 will run about 5 miles north of where I live and the main road to the east is closed for NINE MONTHS thanks to construction work.  They had originally agreed to build a temporary road but three weeks prior to work starting, they changed their minds.  The diversion adds 20 minutes to the journey. 🤬🤬🤬

10 hours ago, Scott Young said:

Don’t get me started.  High Expense 2 will run about 5 miles north of where I live

I know it's not a competition but the line is going to run close-ish (but under ground) to the garden of a friend of mine in the Chilterns. Estate Agents, keen to make a killing keep saying that the property value has plummeted. My response is that there is no way the trains will be audible or will cause the ground to shake at that range, which is about 150 meters away and many 10's of meters under ground. I've stood on enough train platforms to know that ground-shake, even a few feet away is rare, even when an Inter-City 125 goes barreling through, to say nothing of TGV's heaving by when I'm stood on platforms (train, not shoes) in Holland. 

On the other hand, this is a government project so one can never rule out corner cutting that leads to... lets call them "shortcomings"... in the execution of the work...

1 hour ago, Blatman said:

Estate Agents, keen to make a killing

The owners of Stoneleigh Show Ground are rubbing their hands in glee as the HS2 line runs straight through the front gates and through the place.  They’re very much “in the money”.  🙄