• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Democracy----You cannot be serious!

DonPeffers

https://www.thelocal.de/20200923/why-is-germany-doing-better-than-the-uk-at-fighting-a-resurgence-of-covid-19

"On Tuesday UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson was asked by opposition Labour MP Ben Bradshaw if "the reason Germany and Italy have far lower Covid rates than us" is because their contact tracing and testing programmes work. Johnson rejected the argument, adding: "Actually there is an important difference between our country and many other countries around the world, that is that our country is a freedom-loving country."

"If you look at the history of this country over the last 300 years, virtually every advance from free speech to democracy has come from this country. "And it is very difficult to ask the British population uniformly to obey guidelines in the way that it is necessary."

Let me get this right.......Italy and Germany are NOT democracy loving countries BUT we are.

Also I must be wrong in thinking the Greeks invented democracy over 2000 years ago as UK invented it 300 years ago.

This would be laughable if it weren't so serious.

What post-covid effects is Boris suffering from?

Disclaimer-----This is not meant to severely reprimand HM Government.

25 minutes ago, DonPeffers said:

Let me get this right.......Italy and Germany are NOT democracy loving countries BUT we are.

The German population, for certain, is more likely to obey government instructions. The same is true for several other countries, althiugh they are mostly to the east of the Greenwich Meridian. The Italians I'm not so sure.

27 minutes ago, DonPeffers said:

Also I must be wrong in thinking the Greeks invented democracy over 2000 years ago as UK invented it 300 years ago.

Boris says "every advance, from freedom of speed to democracy...". So he's not claiming we invented it, but he is claiming we "advanced" it. Whatever that means. A bold claim...

Boris' actual reply to Ben Bradshaw is       

"Actually there is an important difference between our country and many other countries around the world, that is that our country is a freedom-loving country."

"If you look at the history of this country over the last 300 years, virtually every advance from free speech to democracy has come from this country. And it is very difficult to ask the British population uniformly to obey guidelines in the way that it is necessary."

The phrasing does not indicate to me suggesting 'advancing democracy' especially when 300 years ago we were involved heavily in the slave trade which ended with the Slavery Abolition Act 1833 some 187 years ago.

2 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

The phrasing does not indicate to me suggesting 'advancing democracy'

I guess we read it differently. The modifier is dangling so it can be interpreted at least two ways.

23 hours ago, Blatman said:

Boris says "every advance, from freedom of speed to democracy..."

Blatters, your Freudian slip is showing me old fruit...

• Haha 1

I totally forgot to mention The Highland Clearances, less than 300 years ago, contribution to advancing to democracy.

44 minutes ago, DonPeffers said:

I totally forgot to mention The Highland Clearances, less than 300 years ago, contribution to advancing to democracy.

Yeah well I'm not as old as you... :oops: 

:getmecoat: 

I don't know about Italy, but Germany are extremely conformist, it's part of how Adolf Hitler came to power and why WW2 happened.
In Germany if your expected to do something then you do it, and the majority of German people are extremely intolerant of people who fail to conform, a prime example of this is their attitude to motorbikes and MCs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lyonspride said:

a prime example of this is their attitude to motorbikes and MCs.

Never experienced that in Germany, but then I ride a BMW...

They are conformist though and actually when working out there, I quite their conformist attitude in the workplace. Makes for a VERY safe environment and as I spend a LOT of my time around heavy(ish) industry, it is most welcome. 

Yea I worked in heavy industry too. Once visited a brand new production line in Dortmund and was astounded by the lack of guarding on conveyors. I asked. Answer was that if you tell a German not to put his hand in there then he won't put his hand in there. And it's true. 

The populations of some countries see it as being about responsibilities. Others see it as being about rights

10 hours ago, Stuart said:

Yea I worked in heavy industry too. Once visited a brand new production line in Dortmund and was astounded by the lack of guarding on conveyors. I asked. Answer was that if you tell a German not to put his hand in there then he won't put his hand in there. And it's true.

I was unfortunate enough to be at a body panel manufacturer when an “accident” happened.  They used a massive hydraulic press from the war updated with guards and a laser system that stopped the press if it wasn’t clear.  The men who operated it had to keep feeding it at a high speed or face disciplinary action.  In addition, if they didn’t get a piece of sheet metal in square and the pressing was defective, they were fined.

This predictably led to a perfect storm that day when they had a misfeed.  The worker had learned how to reach around the guard without tripping the beam and did so as the press came down and got his arm caught under the die.  His colleague pressed the STOP button but as it was an ancient press, it had no reverse.  Paramedics came, morphined the hell out of him, put a tourniquet around his upper arm and after two hours of torture, finished the press which messily severed his arm above the elbow.

I could regale you with dozens of stories similar to that and worse from the waste industry, where work to task creates hundreds of ways to make a hazardous and lethal working environment.  As mentioned, the Germans would never dream of risking themselves that way and have created working environments so safe that they have beer vending machines on site.

My favourite German training video - it gets really interesting about 3 minutes in: 😄