why dont

wrightster

So which is woorse the non-indicators or the middle lane hogs on the 3 lane motorway ?

My solution is to ban all lorries from any lane but the slow one........

Reason is that they are all limited to 56 mph + or - a bit so it takes 3 miles for them to pass each other, meanwhile all the traffic has built up in the fast lane  :angry:

Bring in undertaking (a la USA/Canada) where the person being over/undertaken is responsible for keeping an eye out. How many times have you followed a wakner in the fast lane doing a steady 70 bottle necking the traffic.

Some ******s undertake (dangerously) but I`m afraid I`m an old fart who waits (impatiently) for them to pull over  :blush:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• Blatman

• DickieB

• Martin Keene

Top Posters In This Topic

A polite use of headlights usualy wakes them up enough to pull over, I usualy accompany it with a friendly wave too.

Scruffy

Is that a one finger wave Scruffy?

Richard.

There is a roundabout near where we live that raises several questions on both signalling and 'lane discipline.

Coming from the West the single carriageway widens into two clearly marked lanes just before the roundabout. Turning left or right you join a dual carriageway, continuing straight on ( East ) you join a single carriageway. At leat once a week Steppenwolfess ( coming from the West, stays in the left hand lane, not indicating as she wants go straight on at the roundabout ) gets almost driven off the road and then beeped and shouted at by drivers alongside her in the outside lane cutting across the front of her and TURNING LEFT onto the right hand lane of the dual carriageway!

I believe that she has driven correctly, staying in the left hand lane to go straight on?

However, IF she indicated right this would indicate that she was NOT turning left but remaining on the roundabout for a while and then she COULD cancel her right indication when on the roundabout and then indicate left just before her turning which, as she is now on the roundabout, is technically a left turn despite the fact that it is 'straight on' from her original direction.

For the record, rightly or wrongly, I do not indicate when entering this roundabout but DO indicate my intention to turn off it.

Steppenwolf.

Sounds like you take the right course of action re signals.

If the lanes on the roundabout approach are not marked with turn arrows then you should use the left hand lane of the roundabout approach to go straight on unless you feel it is safe to use the right hand lane because vehicles in the left hand lane are all signalling left.

That's my view anyway

Logically, a roundabout is a curved one-way street with a number of roads entering and leaving on the left. That being so, it is logical to only ever indicate left at a roundabout. Current practice, though, seems to require a right indicator on approach if you're going to exceed 180 degrees rotation, or leave at any exit after exit two on a four way roundabout. Whatever, as long as everybody knows the code and stick to it all is well. As far as Steppenwolfess's roundabout is concerned there appears to be a local habit and these can be pernicious, especially to the stranger in the district. Roadcraft and the Highway Code support her actions. The left lane of two is for left turns and straight ons. The right lane is for third exit leavers who, after exit two, must indicate left and change lanes ready to leave at exit three. Straight ons MAY use the right lane where conditions dictate but must stick to the lane throughout according to the slightly ambiguous Roadcraft dictum.

Drivers who indicate right on approach to a four way roundabout at which they intend to go straight on MUST wear a trilby, drive an Allegro, and have a sticker proudly announcing their nationality within the UK and maybe even a county crest. A pretty cushion on the back shelf is optional.   :p

I never could get the hang of Friday's.

Oh, hang on, wasn't that Thursday? b******* :arse:

Andy

:D

Hilux wrote

You should consider living in Germany, that's what they do there (except at quiet times)  Lorrries are also banned completely on Sundays.

Road markings don't help.  Re Steppenwolf's mail above, a large roundabout near us (under dual carriageway) also has two lanes clearly marked.  However, on one main exit the left hand lane is marked to exit left (OK of course) but the right hand lane is marked straight on e.g. stay on roundabout or left.   These markings are on the road surface and consequently easily missed in heavy traffic. So you get plenty of locals in the right hand lane who know the rules and indicate/turn left, hitting others in the left hand lane going straight on in the belief that they are obeying the normal rules.

A bit of consistency would help, even on the same roundabout!

John

:oops:  :oops:

Usually too busy hanging onto the steering wheel to indicate!

If you have time to indicate then your holding everyone up!

You should consider living in Germany, that's what they do there

Doesn't always work.  Most of the autobahns in the north are only 2 lane so you can be cruising at 130 mph (as I used to for 4 years of living there) in the outer lane, and suddenly a lorry will pull out to overtake another one - slam on the brakes, deploy the parachute, and watch the lorry get bigger and bigger in your windscreen.   ???  Still there is an advisory 80 mph speed limit, so if you crash at more than that speed it is automaticaally your fault!

Dickie