why dont

wrightster

why is it that the majority of drivers  :arse:  dont indicate ? is it that they are too lazy,arrogant,cant be  :arse: ed or just that they dont know what those stalks/flashing lights on their car are !!!!!?????????  i think people who dont indicate are narrow minded to55ers it only takes 1 person on a motorway not indicating to cause a major pile up , the police are obsessed with catching people speeding whereas at least 50% (if not more) of todays drivers are incapable of driving safely at 10mph !!

thursday morning rant over  :D

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• Blatman

• DickieB

• Martin Keene

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's just laziness. Someone once asked me why I was indicating my way around an otherwise empty roundabout. My response was 'Why not?'. What exactly do I gain by not moving one of the fingers on my left hand to operate the indicators?

I also disagree with the IAMs approach of teaching that you only indicate where necessary (i.e. you've used your fantastic observation skills to determine that there's nobody nearby that needs to know what you're doing).

Personally, I think that's just asking for trouble. I was travelling home from work the other week at my usual 85mph or so, looked in my mirrors and blind spot before indicating to pull out into the third lane to overtake. As I usually do, I checked the mirror while actually moving only to find some nutter in a Scoob tearing up behind me at a rapid rate of knots (must have been doing well over 100). God knows what would have happened if I hadn't indicated before pulling out...

Andy

In many cases, such as BMW drivers, it is because they did not ask for the optional extra - the indicator pack.  Apparently it is normally linked with another optional extra - mirrors.

:D

Peterborough drivers are a nightmare, I swear they all have the indicators disconnected at the city limits...

or they use them but have no clue how to use them properly... I followed a peugeot 405 the other week and the woman driving kept indicating right at roundabouts (when in the left hand lane of a dual carriageway) and the carrying on striaght ahead... and she didn't do it once I followed her through 6 roundabouts...

...and yes she was blonde :D

PS: No offence meant to Blatgirl... I'm sure she's a fine driver :D

In many cases, such as BMW drivers, it is because they did not ask for the optional extra - the indicator pack.  Apparently it is normally linked with another optional extra - mirrors.

Er, Dickie....what car did you have before you bought your current MINI (yes the BMW one)?

I think the nation should be told.......  :p:p:D:D

PS: No offence meant to Blatgirl... I'm sure she's a fine driver

Nice save......  :D:D:D

Blatters

Yes my last 2 cars were both Beemers, both fitted with working mirror and indicator packs.  But then I was living in the land of BMW then so what else could I drive on an autobahn and be taken seriously?  Certainly not the Vauxhall Nova I had when I first went out there!!!!!

Dickie

I also disagree with the IAMs approach of teaching that you only indicate where necessary (i.e. you've used your fantastic observation skills to determine that there's nobody nearby that needs to know what you're doing).

OK, I take the bait.

The reality is that the Police approach (which is that of the IAM) is that if there is nobody there (or even potentially) that is going to benefit from your signal, then dont.

'Signal' is not just indicators but also Horn, lights and hand gestures. It is this conscious decision that makes the quality if signalling better and more likely to be understood by other motorists (good or bad).

The problem with signalling ALL the time is nowhere near as bad as not signalling at all it's just that the approach of the advanced driver is often dismissed as bad signalling by those who don't know or understand the thought processes behind it.

TAXI!

on Tuesday i was in the right hand lane of a roundabout taking the third exit of four.  to the left of me a BMW X5 which I assume (as they are indicating left) that they are taking one of the two exit before mine.  half way round and they cut across me and start indicating right.  Fortunately i manage to avoid them, but i had to jump on the brakes to manage it.  a large hoot of the horn to signal my displeasure.

******s!

The reality is that the Police approach (which is that of the IAM) is that if there is nobody there (or even potentially) that is going to benefit from your signal, then dont.

What about the person that's there, but you didn't realise it?

You trying to tell me that there has never been an instance of you not realising another car was where you didn't expect them to be?

It's that situation (which admittedly is caused by poor observation and anticipation, but even to the best of drivers will occur) that becomes even more dangerous when you apply the 'ah, there's nobody there so I needn't bother indicating' argument. At least if you let the other guy know you're about to pull out in front of him, he has the option of taking any necessary avoiding action.

IMO of course.

Andy (not a member of the IAM, unlike Mr Studbuckle ;) ).

I have lost the point of indicating when, whilst indicating left to turn into my drive-way, a woman tried to pass me on the inside (undertake).  After the minor collision (she lost her door mirror) she said "I saw you indicating left, but I thought that you were going to turn right".  I mean, what is the fcuknig point!!!  ???

People like that should, in no circumstances, be allowed to drive a motor vehicle. At least, not on the same roads as me :)

Andy

So which is woorse the non-indicators or the middle lane hogs on the 3 lane motorway ?