New Mega S2000 Owner

Brewster

Prior to my S2000 Westie, I've had 3 Impreza's. The last being a 350BHP Spec  C T20. The S2000 is more rewarding and more fun. With the Standard Honda single inlet and circa 227BHP, it still felt quicker than the Spec C. The Omex throttle bodies add another lump of mid range torque and a great sound track!

Let's see what your rolling road session shows!

Perhaps your expectations where a little high but they are deceptively quick on road, it may not feel like it but you can be well in excess of the speed limit in the blink of an eye if your not careful.

I also had mine mapped, all be it running throttle bodies but it made a big difference to power delivery getting rid of a bit of a flat spot mid range.

• Like 1

I have only just got mine on the road and was in the same boat. Didn’t feel like the Vtec was kicking in right. I am getting a big slug of power at 7k. I wired up a test light to the Vtec relay and it checked out just fine.

I am going to get the map looked at and cleaned up for my engine and put my mind at rest.

I think the fact that your low down and stable makes it seem slower than it is, as a few times I have looked down and been surprised just how fast it was going.

And note a load of us have Cadwell booked for late September..would be a good day to meet some people..and of course very local to you!

Also if it's as wet as the other week we were they I am sure the 200 hp or whatever you do have will be entertaining enough!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tom (T3OMF) - Cotswolds AO said:

This is a copy of my power runs back from 2016 with the standard Honda TB and 2017 with the OMEX TB's 

BTEC Power Run - 2016.pdf 175.23 kB · 2 downloads BTEC Power Run with TB - 2017.pdf 391.59 kB · 2 downloads

Hi @Tom (T3OMF) - Cotswolds AO I've not seen those before. Have you any from Omex for comparision, given your car's been there a few times? Also, why didn't they take it to the 9000rpm redline? 

Here's my Omex run for comparison with 48mm Throttle bodies.

image.png.484b02fd24ded477d52b6696e6b1343e.png

You can just see a small blip in torque at 4500, not so noticeable on yours due to resolution of the dyno plot.

Had it on the rollers today. The lambda was a bit rich across the whole range and with the ECU being locked by Omex he couldn't look at the timing, but he expects it is also a bit on the safe side like the fuelling. He says it needs some throttle enrichment to do away with the pop/kick when rolling back onto the throttle. 

It pulled 213bhp today which isn't that far off and if he could map it he thinks there's a bit more in there. The VTEC is clearly operating, although I'd done some testing over the weekend which made me confident it was. I'll do my trackday at the end of the month at Blyton then look to send the ECU back to Omex for unlocking. I'll book back in for a tweaking across the map once it's back.

It looks like I was being a bit unfair to the car. I guess I haven't been driving it as Honda intended on the roads too. It'll be far easier to keep it up in the revs around a track. If the map tweak and a few trackdays don't blow me away then I might have to ask Santa for some TTS vouchers...

IMG_3248.jpeg

westfield.png

• Like 4

Not the result you may have wanted, but the power value is respectable and confirms all is working well etc. The shape of the curves match Tom's Honda TB ones too, though the air temp was higher on your runs today.

I think most of us will accept Rolling Roads can all show differing results, if you took it to where @CosKevgets his done it would have been well over 300bhp :p

• Haha 3

I wouldn't expect to find a lot more power with an ECU tweak. I had my ECU unlocked and spent considerable time playing with fuel and timing and was able to gain about 3 ft/lbs in the mid range but that was it.

As long at this engine remains normally aspirated it will not produce a lot of torque - it will always be a spinner and make its power higher in the rpm range. The key to making more torque/power is to allow it to breathe better. The exhaust side is pretty well optimized and this just leaves the intake side. I fitted Omex ITB's and they added real power and midrange torque but they don't make it feel like a V8 with that big slug of low RPM power. One needs to let the engine spin and not fear seeing the tach in the upper part of the range much of the time. It's happy there and doing what it's designed to do.

dave

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

I think most of us will accept Rolling Roads can all show differing results, if you took it to where @CosKevgets his done it would have been well over 300bhp :p

How easy it is to keep with your 🙄alleged 240bhp car makes me think mines somewhere near 😉😁

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, CosKev said:

How easy it is to keep with your 🙄alleged 240bhp car makes me think mines somewhere near 😉😁

So easy.......

boy-fish.jpg.2cae51fae97ba2f69c94ad2d72391e25.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Following the RR sesh I was feeling a bit more confident about the car. The next day was warm and sunny and I had an errand to run about 20 miles away with some fabulous country roads between so I took the car out, completely sure I would be back within the 3 hours I needed to be for a meeting. I was 6 miles from home on the return journey when the engine just died. I managed to coast it into a junction just off the 60mph B road I was on, before realising it was the entrance to a working limestone quarry.

50246521372_12c2548f7d_b.jpg

I had power to the Dash2, but with ignition on the fuel pump wasn't priming. Checked all the fuses and they were fine. Swapped the fuel pump relay for the VTEC one - no dice. Rolled around on the very limey tarmac to find the cutout switch, but despite feeling like it clicked when pressed I still had no fuel pump. 

Feeling a bit dejected I sent a message to Ian K just to see if there was anything obvious I was overlooking. He called me back and delivered the bad news that it was very likely my Omex ECU had fried itself, a common issue with the early Omex 630s for this car/engine. He said he'd call Omex to see what could be done and I called the RAC and asked for a low loader. 

While waiting for the RAC the MD of Omex called me and was very apologetic for the problem I had. Said to send them the ECU and they'd repair it with updated internals that have surge protection built in and install the latest map for the S2000 engine.

3 hours passed since I called the RAC when a mobile mechanic called to say he was half an hour away. I asked of he had an Omex 630 ECU with an S2000 map in the back of his transit. Amazingly he didn't, but said he'd tow me home with the towbar frame he had. I declined his offer and called the RAC again, rather miffed that they hadn't listened the first time. They said it'd be another hour before a low loader would come. An hour passed when I decided to call the recovery company I know they use from previous experience. They had not been called by the RAC yet so I bit the bullet and paid the £100 to them directly to get towed home.

Once in my workshop I plugged my laptop into the ECU and confirmed it was as dead as a Python parrot. Took it out and put it in the post to Omex. It arrived back today and after a bit of jiggery-pokery with some TPS settings and some electrical gremlins it runs again. Took it for a quick spin before the rain hit not so sunny North Lincs and it seems to run a bit smoother, especially when rolling back onto the throttle. I've got a bit of oily dampness on the diff casing to investigate but I'm pretty much ready for Blyton on the 30th now.

A massive thankyou to Ian for his advice and especially his help with Omex. It's so refreshing to be part of a helpful forum and club again. 

50246312886_32d846ec2c_b.jpg

• Like 6