New Mega S2000 Owner

Brewster

Hello Guys,

New Westfield owner inbound. I've bought the red Mega S2000 from Toybox. I have a few cars but fancied a track day car and this fitted the bill.

Unfortunately I'm not blown away by the performance so far and I think there may be a fuelling and/or VTEC issue. I've spoken to Toybox about it but didn't get too far. I'm trying to communicate with the OMEX 630, but missing the GIN file apparently. Hopefully Omex tech support can help when I can get through to someone.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of silly questions over the coming months. Cheers!

westfield-other-models-all-models-S4249247-1.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome @Brewster  

I guess it’s Honda single TB std intake? I have this config and am toying with the idea of a map tweek. 
check basics first. Plugs  PFR7G-11S, full throttle achieved prior to throttle pedal stop, fuel is fresh.

The guys will advise on Omex config. and how to talk to the ecu

Enjoy, epic engine.

Andy

I can send you the GIN file over, if you advise e-mail address (You may not be able to send PM's with your trial membership, though). 

What are you hoping to see in the ECU? Vtec is engaged at 4600rpm with throttle >28% as standard in a Westie, hence it's not as noticeable as in the original Honda. This is intentional to prevent the slug of torque sending you sideways through the greenery! 

In a Westie the engine is dual nature. You can drive around in 30's in 5th gear and it will still pull. Yet, when you want to ring it's neck and take it to 9000rpm in each gear, it delivers!

Enjoy your new toy. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Surprised Toybox aren't being helpful. Normally buyers report excellent after sales service....

Thanks guys. I'm in North Lincolnshire a short drive from both Blyton Park and Cadwell park. I have a trackday booked at Blyton at the end of August.

The car isn't slow but the fuelling/ignition doesn't feel right over 5k revs. It could be that the VTEC isn't kicking in (yo?) as it should. I hotwired the solenoid with the engine not running to check it's making a clicking noise. There's a sensor on the side of the solenoid with a brown plug that isn't connected on mine too.

I've just spoken to Omex who have confirmed my ECU is factory locked, however they've offered to unlock it and update it for me if I send it back to them. They're sending me a file to communicate with it, although changes will be limited with the lock. At least I can hopefully see I/O information to check what's what.

Today I've just replaced the sparkplugs with brand new PFR7G-11S and given it some fresh 5W40 Castrol Edge. I was surprised the coilpacks didn't have a positive click onto the spark plugs, but I guess they're pushed up against the internal springs and held down with the bolts. It doesn't miss low down either so I'm loathe to believe there's an issue there.

Another quick question since you're both S2000 owners. The water temperature on the dash tends to read about 75C when warm which seems a little low, however, if I leave it idling and it hits 80C on the dash the fan cuts in and cools it down (quickly, which is a relief.) Does this seem right? It crossed my mind that if it was running cool it might be overfuelling, but I don't want to replace the stat if it's just how the dash reads.

Thanks again.

My water reads 87/88 when hot but thats as much down to the cofig formula in the dash2 as it is actual temp.

28 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

This is intentional to prevent the slug of torque sending you sideways through the greenery! 

I thought it was an S2000 engine? 😄

• Haha 2

Welcome from sunny Scotland it’s a nice looking car and hope you get your teething issues sorted and get plenty of fun from her

4 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

My water reads 87/88 when hot but thats as much down to the cofig formula in the dash2 as it is actual temp.

Cheers. If the fan wasn't cutting in at 80C I'd be tempted to think there was an issue, but I imagine the temp is where it needs to be and it's a calibration thing to do with the digi dash. I've not looked into what controls the fan yet. If it's the ECU then I can see what temperature it thinks the engine is and get a better idea. If it's a thermostatic switch then I can't imagine it would set to anything other than 90C.

9 minutes ago, Brewster said:

Thanks guys. I'm in North Lincolnshire a short drive from both Blyton Park and Cadwell park. I have a trackday booked at Blyton at the end of August.

The car isn't slow but the fuelling/ignition doesn't feel right over 5k revs. It could be that the VTEC isn't kicking in (yo?) as it should. I hotwired the solenoid with the engine not running to check it's making a clicking noise. There's a sensor on the side of the solenoid with a brown plug that isn't connected on mine too.

The the Honda VTEC oil pressure switch which isn't used with the Omex. 

I've just spoken to Omex who have confirmed my ECU is factory locked, however they've offered to unlock it and update it for me if I send it back to them. They're sending me a file to communicate with it, although changes will be limited with the lock. At least I can hopefully see I/O information to check what's what.

Yep, you'll be able to see water temp, air temp TPR etc.

Today I've just replaced the sparkplugs with brand new PFR7G-11S and given it some fresh 5W40 Castrol Edge. I was surprised the coilpacks didn't have a positive click onto the spark plugs, but I guess they're pushed up against the internal springs and held down with the bolts. It doesn't miss low down either so I'm loathe to believe there's an issue there.

Another quick question since you're both S2000 owners. The water temperature on the dash tends to read about 75C when warm which seems a little low, however, if I leave it idling and it hits 80C on the dash the fan cuts in and cools it down (quickly, which is a relief.) Does this seem right? It crossed my mind that if it was running cool it might be overfuelling, but I don't want to replace the stat if it's just how the dash reads.

It all depends who set up the Dash2. As above, once you've got the ECU unlocked and talking you can see the Omex figure for the water temp.

Is your oil pressure reading 0 when the engine is off. Is your fuel tank scaled in % where empty =13% and full= 110%.

I've improved the readings on mine and happy to share. My fuel reads 0-5.7 Gallons and has a low fuel alarm at 1 gallon and below.

Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, Brewster said:

Cheers. If the fan wasn't cutting in at 80C I'd be tempted to think there was an issue, but I imagine the temp is where it needs to be and it's a calibration thing to do with the digi dash. I've not looked into what controls the fan yet. If it's the ECU then I can see what temperature it thinks the engine is and get a better idea. If it's a thermostatic switch then I can't imagine it would set to anything other than 90C.

Fan is controlled by a stat in the radiator normally. 

• Like 1

Thanks Ian, I'll take you up on the offer of improving the dash calibration. The car was a factory build if it makes any difference with regards to how it was set up.

The fuel does read 110 when full and I was told not to take it below 20. I can't remember if the oil pressure is zero with ignition on but not running.

22 minutes ago, Brewster said:

Thanks Ian, I'll take you up on the offer of improving the dash calibration. The car was a factory build if it makes any difference with regards to how it was set up.

The fuel does read 110 when full and I was told not to take it below 20. I can't remember if the oil pressure is zero with ignition on but not running.

Power up your car whilst holding down the down arrow key (of the 4 dash2 menu buttons) and the firmware version should be displayed on power up, briefly. I'm expecting it to be V9.7. Let me know the version and I can send across the correct file for you to download.

• Like 1

I haven't been brave enough to press any of the four buttons to the right of the dash yet. There's no labels on them and I was worried one might be a self destruct or ejector seat 😄

Which one is the arrow button?...