Car Lift - Options

Tom Frankland (T3OMF)

Oops, “it’ll buff out”!

4 hours ago, Martin Rice (Sparkymart) - Cornwall AO said:

They are made by CJ Autos I get them on a show special price and I think it was £1000 all in for the for of them 

Martin, I took a quick look at their website and found that they appear to do a few variants that look remarkably similar ie Super Low Hydraulic, Hydraulic Drive-On, Heavy Duty Scissor Hydraulic. The only difference appears to be the weight capacities. Do you know if this is the case or are their more 'features' separating the models?

3 hours ago, Robert (bombero) said:

Martin, I took a quick look at their website and found that they appear to do a few variants that look remarkably similar ie Super Low Hydraulic, Hydraulic Drive-On, Heavy Duty Scissor Hydraulic. The only difference appears to be the weight capacities. Do you know if this is the case or are their more 'features' separating the models?

There is a difference between the closed height and the max lift but the main difference with the one's I got is that it's a straight up lift so no room is needed at the front or rear of the car. But a couple of points to note is the max lift isn't the  real max working hight as once they are at their maximum height you slide a locking bar into them and lower the ramps down so the bar takes the weight and not the hydraulics so it slightly lower than stated. Also I've got the westfield carbon silencer fitted to my car and it to low to slide the rear ramp in front of the rear wheels so you need to put the ramps behind the wheels and reverse onto them, No real problem. Once the car is in the air you can remove the lead on ramps and once the locking bars are fitted you can disconnect the hydraulic pipes. Another slight thing to watch out for is when you disconnect the quick release hydraulic fittings a slight bit of oil leaks out which might be a problem if you are using them on your drive. Also they weigh approximately 50kg each ramp so not the easiest thing to move around but completely possible by yourself . One nice point is that you are able to lower each ramp independently so if you are doing brakes etc you can lower the car onto a axle stand and then remove the ramp which then leaves the wheels free to remove 

Hi Martin, cheers for your quick reply! Coincidentally, I just opened the Club mag and lo and behold, your story on the ramps is in it 😄

Thanks for the info and I'll be taking another look at all their ramps, wondering if there's others (ie slightly cheaper) that'll fit the bill. Although, the heavy duty like yours aren't hugely expensive. As you said though, the straight lift of the heavy duty model is probably advantageous! 

Yeah, hydraulic leakage is common as I used to work with hydraulic rescue gear which always spat a little oil out. A rag around the coupling whilst disconnecting helped 😉

I feel a group buy coming on 😂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/06/2020 at 15:15, the stoat said:

I keep looking at this, Costco lift@Tom (T3OMF) - Cotswolds AO they are in stock at the Bristol branch if you wanted to pop down the M4.

Massive thanks to @the stoat for picking these up for me.  Used them tonight for the first time fitting a Genuine JCW Exhaust on the Mini.  The lift is really well make and gets the car plenty high enough to get under the car (they weren't at the top position), well impressed tbh for the price, all less than £1k.    

20200629_194453.jpg

20200629_170549.jpg

20200629_170536.jpg

20200629_170326.jpg

20200629_170310.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
43 minutes ago, Steve8888 said:

Hi, looking to purchase a lifter please can someone give me the opinion which is best for the Westfield?

I think @tex might have bought one specifically for his?

• 2 weeks later...

i bought a scissor lift from Kris - its been very good.

bear in mind these type of lifts dont automatically fit westys due to the nose taper. you get round it by using 2in square box iron across the gaps.. then make a few pads to suit where you want the lift point

Kris McGough

Managing Director

Rise Elevators Limited

07929 167193

ref 'UpWesty' for discount of which i dunno..

Rise Elevators

Screenshot_20211211-175439.jpg

Two post lift in the garage makes life so much easier. 
If you have a solid enough concrete floor, there's just no excuse for not having one.
This particular German company makes a shorter 'Garage' version with posts as short as 2.4 metres. It cost me ~£1400 delivered. 
It will lift anything up to 1.6 meters off the ground, including my Volvo XC90. 

Image01.jpg.17d03eab55c0e3fea21a91785117f3fa.jpg

Image02.jpg.7b8d0e98e5cf31dd7ead6ec02f989b1c.jpg

Image03.jpg.5dda1d2e83b4f73b0b01da5ee26674d1.jpg

Image04.jpg.66745d4d9a7d0903447cb6d736f9d465.jpg

I'm glad you stress that the garage floor must be solid Backo, because if the posts are not very securely bolted down they will collapse - one or both - inwards towards each other. A two post lift is terrific, but the picture below shows what can happen. Lifted from Health and Safety Executive web pages.

indg434-fig2.jpg

Has anyone got a 4-post lift in their garage?  I guess that would get around the issue of the quality of the concrete floor.

Also, how are these lifts powered? Do you need to run a dedicated 16A circuit into the garage?