Car Lift - Options

Tom Frankland (T3OMF)

On 11/12/2021 at 18:10, tex said:

i bought a scissor lift from Kris - its been very good.

bear in mind these type of lifts dont automatically fit westys due to the nose taper. you get round it by using 2in square box iron across the gaps.. then make a few pads to suit where you want the lift point

Kris McGough

Managing Director

Rise Elevators Limited

07929 167193

ref 'UpWesty' for discount of which i dunno..

Rise Elevators

Screenshot_20211211-175439.jpg

Can't seem to find any info for that lift on their site. Just seems to be installation and maintenance.

On 13/12/2021 at 22:16, RobP said:

Has anyone got a 4-post lift in their garage?  I guess that would get around the issue of the quality of the concrete floor.

Also, how are these lifts powered? Do you need to run a dedicated 16A circuit into the garage?

You would need much larger garage to fit four post lift in it. And equally strong concrete to prevent posts collapsing inwards. 

My two post is run by hydraulic pump that's about 2.4kW single phase, so no issues wit power feed. 

If in any doubt about strength of concrete floor you can easily install a reinforced concrete ground beam into the existing floor. Make it in a large "H" pattern and it will support the point loads according to which hoist type you select.

I have done these modifications for quite a few garages where the floors were too weak/unreinforced being a cheap and sound result.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/12/2021 at 15:39, clansman said:

Can't seem to find any info for that lift on their site. Just seems to be installation and maintenance.

Give Kris a bell directly... You'll not be disappointed

Kris McGough 
Www.rise-elevator.co.uk
Kris@rise-elevator.co.uk
Managing Director 
Rise Elevator Limited

Ref :- ‘UpWesty’ for discount so I know it come from forum.

Screenshot_20211211-175439.thumb.jpg.2488a238b24853759c95d268f048edbf.jpg

• Like 1

On 01/01/2022 at 13:30, tex said:

Give Kris a bell directly... You'll not be disappointed

Kris McGough 
Www.rise-elevator.co.uk
Kris@rise-elevator.co.uk
Managing Director 
Rise Elevator Limited

Ref :- ‘UpWesty’ for discount so I know it come from forum.

Screenshot_20211211-175439.thumb.jpg.2488a238b24853759c95d268f048edbf.jpg

What sort of price do these lifts come out at ?

55 minutes ago, Mike424u said:

http://bhrepairs.co.uk/

Mid lift scissor lift, 240v 

I did come across these will searching for lifts. £1,585  plus delivery or collection

Good find Mike, though I'm not sure a Westie would be able to drive over this without timbers though.

5 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Good find Mike, though I'm not sure a Westie would be able to drive over this without timbers though.

Ian

Yes it is a bit high for a westie, but using a scaffold plank either side seems like a good solution, unless you can dig a bit of a sump to lower it in so that's is level with the concrete floor.  Good lift capacity though.

• Thanks 1

I looked at similar ones to them but.... There's a huge hydraulic ram in the centre right where you want to work... Na.... If your going to get one that lifts the car why not do it right. Cheaper yes but a lot more restrictive. I can get my megabusa on mine. I made 2 ramps from timber, then put some checker plate on top.

Also found these, 3 versions depending on weight and length required

They start with 

QuickJack Portable Automatic Car Lift System Jack (1,587kg Capacity) - Model BL-3500SLX

£799 including delivery 

QuickJack Portable Automatic Car Lift System Jack (2,268kg Capacity) - Model BL-5000SLX

£1,099.00

QuickJack Portable Automatic Car Lift System Jack (3,175kg Capacity) - Model BL-7000SLX

£1,199.89

https://www.costco.co.uk/search?text=car lift

image.png.3ebd8bda91db4ca92b2c498f37dc5b3c.png

Good prices Mike. I have watched these for several years, but at first they had no EU approvals and couldn't be sold here. Now they have a CE mark and a European agent and the prices have become keener I may look again. The one thing that bothers me though is the lateral stability. The 'footprint' of each ramp is quite narrow and when fully raised it worries me that a bit of enthusiastic tugging sideways could topple the whole lot. The manual is fairly scanty on this but does say not to unbalance a raised load. All fine if you fully understand, but if not... :ghostface:

6 minutes ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Good prices Mike. I have watched these for several years, but at first they had no EU approvals and couldn't be sold here. Now they have a CE mark and a European agent and the prices have become keener I may look again. The one thing that bothers me though is the lateral stability. The 'footprint' of each ramp is quite narrow and when fully raised it worries me that a bit of enthusiastic tugging sideways could topple the whole lot. The manual is fairly scanty on this but does say not to unbalance a raised load. All fine if you fully understand, but if not... :ghostface:

I think I might be inclined to add in axel stands if was going to do some serious work under it. just as a safe guard.

1 hour ago, Mike424u said:

QuickJack Portable Automatic Car Lift System Jack (1,587kg Capacity) - Model BL-3500SLX

£799 including delivery 

After all the feedback I ordered one and it arrived on Tuesday evening , hopefully I'll have it up and running tomorrow if the weather allows.

It's worth looking at Quick Jack's UK website and watching their videos on setting up and choosing size etc.  The 3500 should be good up for Westfields through to family hatchbacks (A Class in my case).

25 minutes ago, jonjh1964 said:

After all the feedback I ordered one and it arrived on Tuesday evening , hopefully I'll have it up and running tomorrow if the weather allows.

It's worth looking at Quick Jack's UK website and watching their videos on setting up and choosing size etc.  The 3500 should be good up for Westfields through to family hatchbacks (A Class in my case).

Just make sure you follow the instructions.

And don't do what this guy did. 

• Haha 2