• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

SEiGHT

V8 Animal

Hi,

im looking for advice I’m considering a V8

I have owned a 2.0 engine westie.

There is a difference with the chassis as a rolling car but that’s all I know.

Cheers

Paul

Don’t know what to say really. Just didn’t want you to think we were not answering!

My first and only Westy is a V8 and I obviously think it’s fantastic but I haven’t driven any others. 
The sound is brilliant and it is easy to drive as it is forgiving if you don’t want to be forever changing gear but obviously you can put your foot down and go - really go. 
Normally come with a ‘long range fuel tank’ which takes about £30 to fill and will last all day. 
May I suggest a trip to ToyBox as they are likely to have a range so you can check out all the different types?

Otherwise, in normal times, an area meet. 
I presume other members will join in and champion their engine choice...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, V8 Animal said:

Yeah I’m thinking of calling into see these guys at the weekend as I’m going to derby.

You’ll need to book in to make sure he is there. 

• Thanks 1

Hi.

Yes, V8 models had chassis with a bigger transmission tunnel to accommodate the bigger gearboxes the Rover engines came with, compared to the normal four cylinder Ford engine gearboxes.

It also uses the pendant style pedal box, not floor mounted pedals. Once upon a time, the SEiGHT chassis had more bracing, I think, too, but to be honest, so many of the chassis now have the extra bracing, I’m not sure if the V8 is actually different anymore.

SEiGHT kits used to be only available with the paneled, wired, plumbed chassis, as the factory was paranoid about the extra power in a chassis not done well.

As Andrew said, the long range tank is normal, as the standard one empties too fast with a V8, also due to lack of room under the bonnet, the battery was usually at the back of most SEiGHTs, uniquely, amongst other Westfields.

People love SEiGHTs with Cobra style side pipes, but actually, the underslung exhaust, exiting at the rear generally perform as slightly better than standard side pipes.

The soundtrack of a good V8 Westfield is insane, and deeply addictive!

• Like 2

Oh hell yeah!

• Like 1

Looks Like a nice early 90’s version 

Great colour! Incidentally same colour as mine so not biased 😀

Please make sure you understand what a Q plate means. 
Can’t see any heater supplies from the engine bay so probably not installed. 
Normally would suggest getting a local club member to take a look if serious but at present this may be asking too much of someone. 
Check out historical mot’s on internet as this will give brief history and give you confidence on mileage. 
Initial impressions are good for the money and age. 
Andrew

I love mine (don't we all though). Effortless driving as @AndrewBClarke says although no way will one long range tank last me a whole day (2 or 3 on a road trip) however I wouldn't swap. Just love the sound track. I'd try and get  injection over carbs and check the chassis  for known problems. Nice simple engine to work on with upgrades available. 😁

20200312_073245.jpg

• Like 4

Effortless driving as @AndrewBClarke says although no way will one long range tank last me a whole day (2 or 3 on a road trip) however I wouldn't swap.

@kenton depends on how you drive it! I can fill up here (mid Lincolnshire), drive to the Peak District meeting point, do a trip eating our way around the Peaks and then home on one tank. Mind you I don’t like running it dry or taking a risk so normally fill up enroute. Also ‘only’ 3.5ltr!
Nice engine photo so here’s mine!

F600FDD8-657B-4F60-BFBC-D93B8BE28460.thumb.jpeg.8bf8111febaa636b2c0a3a5350254404.jpeg

Rover 3.5ltr with carbs. 2009

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AndrewBClarke said:

Effortless driving as @AndrewBClarke says although no way will one long range tank last me a whole day (2 or 3 on a road trip) however I wouldn't swap.

@kenton depends on how you drive it! I can fill up here (mid Lincolnshire), drive to the Peak District meeting point, do a trip eating our way around the Peaks and then home on one tank. Mind you I don’t like running it dry or taking a risk so normally fill up enroute. Also ‘only’ 3.5ltr!

Hi @AndrewBClarke you've clearly forgotten how much time is spent in the Peaks, kicking tyres, eating pie, cake and drinking tea. :d

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That car looks like it's had some serious time, money and skill spent on it, I'd say the intire interior, with the exception of the seats and possibly some of the carpeting, is a bespoke, one off, including the dashboard, (it's not a Westfield Contour Dash), obviously photos can be deceptive, but from the pictures, it looks a well planned and nicely executed interior, with plenty of nice, thoughtful touches, and a cohesive integrated design, from either a professional, with a lot of skill and experiance, or an owner with a real eye for it and a lot of natural talent.

Once upon a time, I'd have only looked at fuel injected V8's on an ecu; then I got to regularly hear Andrew's carb fed car, (and drive it), as big a fan of modern injection etc as I am, if going V8, I neeeeeeeeeeeeed Andrew's carb fed soundtrack, gives you goosebumps at 50 metres, like nothing else!

• Like 1