Isolated - is it going well?

Jude - The Mad Widow

Listening to my brother this morning I'm guessing he will be isolating himself away from his wife soon, she's driving him nuts.  I'm home alone, no one to argue with but...

..how about you? Have you fallen in love all over again!? Are you indulging in a second childhood with your kids? What's happening in your house. Spill the beans, we are all friends here. 🏡

Bizarrely, it's almost life as normal for us. My work is open as normal (bike shop), we are a small team and each of us staying away from others outside of work.

Jane and I don't see many people outside of work, usually spend a fair bit of time walking together, I do quite a lot of mountain biking, we do some gardening... The only thing that's really changed is I am riding solo and Jane is making phone calls to friends / family instead.

I am really enjoying the general calmness that seems to have been brought about by this. Quieter roads, fewer people in town when I do have to shop, and nature seems more prevalent - just in the last two days I have seen deer, heard owls, woodpeckers, and seen a mouse in the wild for the first time ever! Perhaps it is the time of year and weather improvement, but either way I'm not complaining.

#spottheintrovert 😁

I am really enjoying the general calmness that seems to have been brought about by this. Quieter roads, fewer people in town when I do have to shop, and nature seems more prevalent - just in the last two days I have seen deer, heard owls, woodpeckers, and seen a mouse in the wild for the first time ever! Perhaps it is the time of year and weather improvement, but either way I'm not complaining.

Totally agree Adam, despite WFH being a nightmare for me (trying to run engineering teams remotely) I'm loving the change in tempo outside - as much as I'm missing being able to drive the WF, I hope it makes everyone realise we really don't need to be travelling around in the car every spare second and can enjoy our own company a little more. 

• Like 1

It's all very strange, I've worked on an off from home for a long time, it can sometime become very lonely when there is no social interation. One of the reasons I changed job 15 months ago was to get the WFH working on client sites a little more balanced. We an IT company and still busy but working from home so we have an optional team video call each lunch time to join and talk about non work related things.

Surprising how much it alleviates the isolation.

My wife has been busier and in work this week more than normal, she works in admin for a company deemed essential, so almost all the staff are working from home or not working but with out a few in the centre they can't function at all so there are a few of them in (maintaining good social distancing of course), When she gets home we do go out for a walk, last night popping into a local Tesco Express to pick up some shopping for her 83 year Aunt which we then delivered. It's surreal how quiet it is and generally how well behaved people are crossing the road to avoid getting to close or stepping back into a drive to let some one pass, the roads are that quiet that joggers seem to just jog down the road to pass.

will life ever be the same again ?

ive come to realize my daily life isnt that much different to isolation. i got to the same factory and do the same work, i only work with 4 other people and we are eaisliy 2 meters apart. we have taken precautions but its not really much different. i actually had a week holiday booked for this week to get some plastering and bits and peice's done around our house but cancelled those due to my son being ill with chickenpox and tonsilitis at the same time. i still had the week off and have a had a great time in the garden with my lad and ive also been looking over my westy that i aquired shortly before all this. back to normal next week to see what interesting thing ive gotta machine (not)

I’m on the Premium Deluxe 84-Day Stay In The House & Don’t Breathe Plan.  Is it bad?  To be honest... it’s not great, especially the keeping 3m away from SWMBO at all times and sleeping on my own in a different bedroom.  I can go out to the garden but that’s it.

The worst bit by far is not the lack of freedom to move about, it’s being a burden to SWMBO, my neighbours and my friends, who have all stepped up to do the proverbial heavy lifting while I sit on my backside.  I hate it with a passion.  They’ve been trying to reassure me and say it’s only fair after all I’ve done for them, but it doesn’t stop the guilt. :(

Meanwhile, I’m comfortable but I’m also bombarded by terrible news whichever way I look.  Two of my friends have died this week (not of the virus) and when you’re in the extremely vulnerable group with 1.5m others, you start feeling very mortal.  My mental health is okay but not top notch right now.

I’m sorry if this sounds like a whinge.  I didn’t mean for it to sound like it.  It’s just that I’m dreading three things: getting it, the next 80 days of house arrest, and the fear it could go on even longer than that.

I’ve stooped to asking Alexa to tell me jokes - heaven knows how much further I’ll go.

Stick with it Scott and remember this will end. I understand what you mean about feeling at risk or mortal but thats just a physiological reaction to the situation we are facing. Try to distract yourself with something all consuming like tracing family history etc. We are here for anyone who needs to talk or just help get through the day so call me whenever you need. 

• Like 1

Thanks Terry. :) 

When it starts getting bad, I think about the incredibly brave and selfless people in the NHS and emergency services who are out there, risking their lives and giving their all to save and protect us.  Confining myself to home for 12 weeks to protect them by doing what I can to avoid becoming a burden to the system seems little enough by comparison.

Keep at it cc. 
we have been “working from home” since the beginning of last week which for me has resulted in being in the building everyday!! It’s difficult for my techs they need to be in to do their work so we have had to rethink quickly what they do. My cabin fever will set in next week. I specifically avoid working from home as I’m so bad at it so expect to have a clean car, cleaner house, sorted garage, winter tinkering, tidied garden done by Wednesday!

totally agree with NHS sentiment. All things being equal we should start making hand sanitiser in the labs next week. 

Are you doing the whole 'separate cutlery, and eat at different tables/times' thing in the edict Scott? I admit that we've cherry picked the rules a bit by using separate bedrooms and towels etc., but we eat together but separately at opposite sides of the table. As neither of us is more exposed to the outside world than the other it seems a trifle OTT. 

16 hours ago, Jude - The Mad Widow said:

Listening to my brother this morning I'm guessing he will be isolating himself away from his wife soon, she's driving him nuts.  I'm home alone, no one to argue with but...

..how about you? Have you fallen in love all over again!? Are you indulging in a second childhood with your kids? What's happening in your house. Spill the beans, we are all friends here. 🏡

At moment all going amazingly well🥰

However I am fortunate to have been able to set up an isolation centre in the ex workshop and this keeps the romance alive🙉.

Also have discarded hearing aids as need service so ignorant bliss.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Are you doing the whole 'separate cutlery, and eat at different tables/times' thing in the edict Scott? I admit that we've cherry picked the rules a bit by using separate bedrooms and towels etc., but we eat together but separately at opposite sides of the table. As neither of us is more exposed to the outside world than the other it seems a trifle OTT. 

Pretty similar.  We sometimes eat together but at different ends of the table.  She washes her hands more than Howard Hughes.  Only one bathroom in the house but we keep it extremely clean.  She’s not exposing herself to those in the outside world at all but still has the two dogs to walk every day, and she makes sure no strangers pet them.  Separate beds and no physical contact is the worst part, haven’t slept well all week.

Part of me wishes we’d get a minor dose of the bug and recover instead of another 11 weeks of this.

Yeah this self isolation is not too bad.

0CA5F213-152F-457B-88A1-B23609C6427D.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paul Hurdsfield said:

Yeah this self isolation is not too bad.

0CA5F213-152F-457B-88A1-B23609C6427D.jpeg

No T-shirt?  Doesn’t count, Slasher 😛 😄 

• Haha 2

Wrong thread cap’n

• Haha 1