Scottish Lowlands Navigation Mystery Run - Sat 1st August

BigSkyBrad

If Scotland is behind with accommodation stay just over the border in England and pop over

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigSkyBrad said:

@Jim cunliffe I phoned the campsite. They said they didn't have a date for re-opening yet but keep checking the website for updates, but when they do it will only be for tourers and motorhomes.   https://www.rosettaholidaypark.com/coronavirus-travelling/

Thanks for the info, I’m sure we’ll find somewhere to park 

1 hour ago, tex said:

If Scotland is behind with accommodation stay just over the border in England and pop over

We have used the large car park in Hawick before but we were hoping to be in Peebles for a drink or two Friday / Sat !!

Have just booked Jen and I into the Barony castle hotel for the Saturday night.

If you book via OYO its on offer at £77 for a double room inc brkfst etc, with free cancellation up to 2 days before.

(We may all have to have a social distance meal, but thats a small price to pay).

Jen and I did Brad and Diane's tour last year - and its highly recommended - treat yourself!!

Dave.

Most Scotland hotels are opening from 15 July (provisional).

• Like 2

@WoodyAlan Just spotted your pic over on the 'recent pic' thread - your car doesn't appear to have a hood frame fitted. Scottish weather can be fickle - do you have any, or all of the following - hood, half hood, doors and/or wind deflectors? (for on the day and for towing). Are you coming up just for the run, or making a bigger trip out of it?

2 hours ago, BigSkyBrad said:

@WoodyAlan Just spotted your pic over on the 'recent pic' thread - your car doesn't appear to have a hood frame fitted. Scottish weather can be fickle - do you have any, or all of the following - hood, half hood, doors and/or wind deflectors? (for on the day and for towing). Are you coming up just for the run, or making a bigger trip out of it?

Hi Brad, have hood frame, hood, full doors and a storm cap at the ready just needs frame refitting lol coming up Friday till Sunday booked into Barony Castle both nights 👍🏼👍🏼

• Like 2

Those who have joined in, and those thinking about it, here's a wee update and check-list of things you'll need.

A clipboard and pen.

I made one out of two, so that there is a clip at the bottom too, to save the route book flapping around in the back-draught. And, if you're running without weather protection, you could take the staple out of the book and put the pages in (4) poly-pockets so that you don't end up with papier-mache.

20200621_121318.thumb.jpg.aa1eb4a224305fd277ed6d52ac4accbf.jpg

Trip-meter. (something you'll defo want to sort and test before the run)

In the spirit of the event, you should be using the trip function on your speedo, and most of us have the same VDO speedo. However, not everyone's speedo works, as we found out last weekend while checking part of the route - our mileometer was spot on but the trip was irratic.

There are alternatives.

a) On one of the motorcycle navigation runs I did back in NZ, the bike I had at the time had a dodgy speedo, so I rigged up a bicycle computer to good effect. You just need to make sure it can cope with speeds greater than a bicycle, mine is good for 80+. The cable needs extending for a car, but its a simple twin core wire to solder.

20200621_123411.thumb.jpg.06ec3dea71f022a056c794b0476c1978.jpg

b) A GPS tripmeter app could also be used on your ios/android phone, but they can be problematic if you lose satellite signal. Most are over-complicated and a dead-ringer for you choking your navigator in frustration - you'll want a dead-simple one that just shows the trip and running total mileage. The android one I found is 'Offroad Tripmeter 4x4', but it's almost £5. Has big trip counter and reset touch-screen buttons, and a separate reset for the running total - mind you change from kms to miles in Settings.

image.png.5b61328cf40767488cba29df1d1a76a9.png

• Like 1

Really keen to join in this year but as I'm so far away it all hinges on hotels/campsites opening up soon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, neptune said:

Really keen to join in this year but as I'm so far away it all hinges on hotels/campsites opening up soon.

Yeah, it is tricky, but fingered crossed you can make it.

While googling about for tripmeter apps, I discovered that the UK Porsche Club hold a yearly 'tulip' navigation run around the Cotswolds. Costs £35 for members-only to enter, sells out the limited number of entry slots each year and they get to do 80+ miles 😲 in the luxury of their tin-tops! Here's us 'ard b'stards doing 200 miles scraping our arses on the ground in glorified go-karts! For free!

• Haha 4

Way hay , had the nice lady from the barony hotel phoning me this afternoon asking what time I would like breakfast and dinner Saturday night

so I’m 7am sat and 8am Sunday any thoughts on time for Saturday night?

theres social distancing in the dining room 

So it’s all systems go folks 😁

As long as it’s earlier than the 9:30pm that I got there last year 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gary Taylor - Scotland AO said:

So it’s all systems go folks

A shame it's distancing in the dining room but that comes with the territory at the moment, hopefully it could be a bit more informal in the bar - I promise I won't lick anyone. Those staying in Peebles outwith the Barony Castle Hotel should reserve a dinner table sooner than later for Sat night if you're  joining in with the after-match bun-fight.

Perhaps we can see some more joining in on the run now. Last one who booked in at the castle was Dave for £77 (Sat night) - damn good for a 4-star spa hotel. But remember, you can also just do it as a day-run if you wish. The more cars, the more fun it is.

:westy::white-westy::orange-westy::dg-westy::yellow-westy::purple-westy::black-westy::lg-westy::lb-westy::db-westy::silver-westy::westy::white-westy::dg-westy::purple-westy::silver-westy::black-westy:

For the newbies -  if you're wondering about the map-reading, there is no map-reading – well, not until you get lost and have to open the emergency envelope that has a map of the area with waypoints to get back on track, and the destination.

The whole route is navigated using ‘tulips’, like what the old-school rally cars used before pace-notes (and still use for the touring sections between stages).

Each instruction box contains a ‘tulip’, which is a plan-view of the approaching intersection with you as the  ‘bulb’ at the bottom approaching it. The number in the RH top white box is the distance to that intersection from the one last one, and the yellow-boxed number is the running total on your tripmeter when you’re at the intersection you’re approaching (zero’d back at the start). There may be references to a road sign found at that intersection, to further confirm you are at the right intersection.

image.png.60bb3a56c27b2a744efc5ada4a770229.png

So…

Instruction 45 – A dog-leg T-intersection (right-then-left), 0.2 miles from the last instruction, 18.2 miles from when the speedo was last zero’d, and there is a sign at the intersection that says Edinburgh (but not necessarily where you’re heading).

Instruction 46 – T-intersection, turn right, 0.9 miles from Instr.45, tripmeter now says 19.1 miles.

Instruction 47 – Turn right onto side road/slip road, 1.3 miles from Instr.46, tripmeter now says 20.4 miles.

Simples!  Don’t worry, it will all be explained at the crew brief at the start on the day.