Scottish Lowlands Navigation Mystery Run - Sat 1st August

BigSkyBrad

27 minutes ago, Buckles23 said:

Yeah it’s Lanark so just down the road for me.. do I need to do anything or pretty much just turn up on the day ?? 

jamie 

If you go to page 8 on this section and halfway down is the report on last years one that explains a lot

but yes basically turn up, desirable are a navigator, clipboard, tripometer and a sense of fun... it’s a really great day

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just booked a double room at Barony Castle Hotel through Hotels.com (via Trivago) - £84 incl. brekkie, cancellation up to 30/07 (£75 without cancellation, but with a zombie apocalypse possible...). Get in quick at these prices.

40 minutes ago, BigSkyBrad said:

Just booked a double room at Barony Castle Hotel through Hotels.com (via Trivago) - £84 incl. brekkie, cancellation up to 30/07 (£75 without cancellation, but with a zombie apocalypse possible...). Get in quick at these prices.

Hey Brad, Is this place close for the start as well as the finish?

Thanks for message Brad, 👍🏼  booked in for Saturday night ( £90 incl cancellation ) going to try to find something near Services at start if not will prob book for Friday nights as well. 

@WoodyAlan There's Moffat to the south of the start (1/2 hr) for pub-hotels. There is a Days Inn at the services 10mins south of the start, but the carpark is the services car-park - don't know I would sleep so well.

• 2 months later...

I'm feeling positive and confident that we can still make a go of this. Perhaps not with the overnight if hotels aren't back open (fingers crossed they are), but if the rules are relaxed a little, and with sensibility, at the very least it can be a day run - it's eight weeks away, a lot can change in that time.

The route has been down on paper (maps) for months, so on Saturday we packed a picnic and went on a social distancing drive in the tin-top (Westy sorned til yesterday) to prove the route, only a couple of tweeks needed. The route book will now be written up, and then a second run to test that in the Westfield.

Just short of 200 miles, with a good mix of A, B and single track roads, elevation ranges from 150ft to 1490ft, and any roads used last year are in reverse this time to keep it fresh. A few more loops included this time too, so that you bump into your fellow participants along the way and wave them by, and  maybe have you second-guess your route book reading!

So, put it in your diaries for Sat August 1st (details at the front of the thread), Clan McWesties and any tribes from south of the border too more than welcome - the more cars, the more fun it is as you cross each others paths. This could be the only decent run of the year for some of us, given the year we've all had so far - fingers crossed we can make it happen in one form or another!

• Like 3

👍  It's not the end of the world if you don't have a nav, Brian was doing well on his own 'til crazy white van lady took him out. All the navigation runs I did in NZ were on motorbikes, so it definitely can be done solo, it's just a little bit more stop-start is all.

My Westfield won’t be back on the road before then, regrettably, so I can either go as a service barge in my tintop or, @judder, I’d be happy to be your nav 🙂

My Westfield suffered a lot of damage last year when white van wummin ran into me. A lot of the repair work has been done, but the coronavirus lockdown has impacted on the planned work - some of the work was delayed by businesses being shut down, Westfield took ages to supply some parts, it has taken 6 months to get the replacement harnesses, and the company I’d asked to fit a set of new carpets has been busy making face masks. Getting there slowly, but it’s fairly clear that my car won’t be running till later in the year, or next year. Ah well ... 

Looking forward to this event though 😁

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 1

And how about the Lancs, Mancs, Yorkies and Geordies? It might be a long day, but it'll be a really good day! Bring your pens and clipboards and be prepared to be frisked at the border!

image.png.ee09a859692fca99a1eb8276570eb4bf.png

• Like 1

I’ll be there but looks like I’ll be on my own as Trina is stuck stateside until travel opens up properly 

hope the hotel’s are open by then if not it’ll be a long long day

• Like 1