Speeding?

Pete Collins

I'd actually seen an indicated 190mph and some of the cloud shadows were going faster still.

I'm guessing it wasn't a car from Ford or Vauxhall  :p  :p  :D

David

It was on my ZZR1100 David.

I guess it was actually 165-170 or so, I had the throttle wound round to the stops for about 3 minutes or so and the bike had stopped accelerating.

It was a massive rush but to be honest I felt rather shaky when I actually thought about what I'd done particularly when I discoverd during a fuel stop later at Limmoges that the rear tyre was breaking up.

Large chunks of rubber had peeled away from the centre part of the tread and the carcus was showing through in places.

Very scary indeed!!!!!

I don't think I'd attempt it again

After having a new tyre fitted I did'nt go much above 120mph for the rest of the journy back to Blighty.

Still it only took 12 hours to cover the distance from Barcelona to Le Harve even with the us-scheduled "tyre" stop.

Chaz.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• david.c

• scruffythefirst

• Pete Collins

Only the one in October '96... and I didn't to myself any favours with it!

I was driving down a road in Peterborough which is one of those bl**** annoying 30-40-30-40 etc jobs. A copper jumped out from behind a bush with his hair drying and indicated he would like a chat.

He says: Do you know how fast you where going sir?

I says: Yes, about 40mph (thinking I was in a 40 bit)

He says: You were doing 42mph (and shows me the reading on the gun)

I says: Yes...

He says: It's a 30 limit...

I says: OH ####!!!

3 points and £40 worse off... Touch wood nothing since, although a few people say I'm on borrowed time :(

Clean at the moment but been caught three times in 17 years,

last one was outside Prince Charles gaff when a Copper was told to slow the cars down to reduce the noise :angry: Got pulled on M5 at an average of 102mph but congratulated on lane discipline and let of with a fixed penalty at 95 instead. Got away scott free some years ago near Manchester airport, had driven from Bristol to deposit the dog at parents and everything that could go wrong had, going over M62 pacing with a Jetta GTI had not come below 100 all the way he peels of with a nice wave next second rear filled with range rover just as I hit roadworks still doing about 90.Drove through and pulled up as soon as safe jumped out of the car and told them to just give me the f***** ticket whilst I still had a remote chance of getting on the plane, mega bollocking but let off. Took all of two weeks for me and the wife to talk to each other without arguing. Now Jeanette tells me what time we need to set of for planes etc and we are always at least 3 hours early now

Once got pulled up in me Lada convertible .Copper showed me his badge and accused me of speeding.I told him to take a look at my badge on the car.He did and came back and said "sorry sir it seems I made a mistake"! :)

Quality photo  :D  :D

is that you driving windy

Lotus carlton :love:  :love:

Can I have a job at your place  

pleaasee............................

:D  :D  :D

As far as the speeding goes twice,

once overtaking a car who had overcompensated and braked for a speedcamera that he saw and I didn`t  :arse:  :arse:

second 62 in a 30  :(  10:30pm on a sat night accelerating towards a national speed limit sign :(  :(

Didn`t help when I tried too shake off the unmarked police car on the country lanes that followed :durr:  :p  :p  :D  :D

I get out plenty, average about 20000 miles a year in the tin-top, and 5 or 6000 in the Westy.

I stick to any speed limit of 50 or below (those ones are there for a legitimate reason usually, so I respect that), but anything above that is fair game IMO. Someone picked an arbritary number for the national speed limit years ago and it has never been re-assessed.

Andy

That means its cornering at 170 mph

You were easing off the gas then Windy  :D  :devil:  :D  :D  :devil: