Speeding?

Pete Collins

I have been done 4 times in the UK but have a squeaky clean licence (for) now. :D

I got stopped in Spain (Cataluynia) close to the town where my wife is from whilst driving the outlaws car by the catalan version of "Chips" for doing 80 in a 60 (KPH)

Things looked like they were going to get a bit nasty when they realised they'd got a gringo and demands for an instant Fine/Bribe were made.

Mags, my wife, then realised that the more senior of the two was an old school friend, the charges were dropped and replaced with an invite to dinner.

Fastest pull, 167mph (average    :oops: ) between two toll booths on an autoroute between Briev and Limoges (south of France) whilst chasing cloud shadows up the motorway :p

I'd actually seen an indicated 190mph and some of the cloud shadows were going faster still.

I tried to play dumb when given the speeding ticket untill I realised that the traffic cop spoke perfect English and seemed to be rather an earnest type of chap.

I figured I was going to get carted away away and locked when the "back up arrived" (two more cars and containing 4 more cops) so I thought I'd go for broke and told him what I'd been up to (and it may have helped with any later insanity plea)

I have never in my life seen five men laugh so hard for so long.

I got let off with a caution and followed to the next set of toll booths as "punishment"

I've still got the ticket, it's one of my most treasured posessions.

Chaz.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• david.c

• scruffythefirst

• Pete Collins

(when you were a Mod on a Lambretta decked out in chrome nearly every time you went out you got pulled for something)

Of course there were numerous other offenses/endorsments like no L plates and carrying passengers as a learner on the scooter.

Me too.  Simpler times, then, though.  First time I got pulled by plod on the Lambretta I was still a month short of my 16th birthday.  No license, no insurance, no L plates, bird on the back.  Gave my older mate's name and address, he presented his documents.  No problem.  There was also a plod in my village who definitely had it in for me - used to pull me up every time he saw me trying to get me for something.  Never did, and I had the last laugh - he pulled his police minivan in front of me to complain about my cut down L plate and forgot to put the hand brake on.  As he was having a go at me his van rolled off down the road.  I kept myself from laughing for as long as I possibly could, but he must have seen something in my face.  Watching him running down the street after an empty minivan doing about 10mph has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.  He hated me even more after that.  mr Hurdsfield, thanks for reminding me of that one.

As for speeding, 4 times.  But it's 10 years next month since the last one, so never been caught by a camera (touches wood).  Keep promising myself a decent detector.  Must get around to it.

6 points and £450 fine for undertaking an unparked police car on the A1 and then doing 120mph right in front of them.  Not one of my better days  :durr:

In my defence it was a clear bright day, no traffic and the 4 year old, dark red BMW 328 was sat in the outside lane doing 60mph with nothing on the inside lane.

Also got stopped once for "driving in a manner which gave him (the police officer) reason to believe the car was stolen."  One of my better days  :)

21 years driving....I've had five major bo****kings and never had a point on my licence....it's a bl**dy miracle and only a matter of time  :devil:

6 Times  :(

4 in the sixties

(when you were a Mod on a Lambretta decked out in chrome nearly every time you went out you got pulled for something)

1 in the seventies

1 in the nineties, 107 mph 2 week ban no points.

Of course there were numerous other offenses/endorsments like no L plates and carrying passengers as a learner on the scooter.

I was a bit of a mod in the 60's but preferred motorbikes and rockers music ,bit mixed up really,still am.However couldn't afford a scooter or motorbike so cadged a lift in my black mates anglebox with straight through exhaust and col. whatists airhorns.(0...60 in 20secs but we did'nt give a toss)

No money , no probs :t-up:

I'd actually seen an indicated 190mph and some of the cloud shadows were going faster still.

I'm guessing it wasn't a car from Ford or Vauxhall  :p  :p  :D

David

Twice in 27 years.

Once at 147 on the M69 in a 205 T16 (yes one of the homolgation specials).  It was in the very early hours of a Sunday morning - deserted road - I was on the way to Mallory.

Once at 34 in a 30.

Andy

I can't answer this poll, as there isn't a 'never' option

For 'never' read 'not yet'

Them that has and them thats going to :0

20 years ago was pulled by an unmarked patrol car in Ontario heading south towards Toronto at around 100mph (had stayed the night in a log cabin at Pow Wow Point).

Grey suited highway patroller gets out of car wearing a $150 smile. I open car door and make to get out so he unholsters his sidearm :oops:  

In best British accent Good morning officer, what seems to be the trouble? Smile narrows to $75

When are you leaving Canada?

Tomorrow, is that a problem? Smile disappears

Learn to speak English with a foreign accent, they really hate the paperwork  :D

Just got to my 5th bo*****ing in late October when i had just fitted an extension to the steering boss so that it would clear my knees from the steering wheel.  Went down the road for a test drive weaving from side to side just to see if its o.k. and had the blue lights flashing behind me.  In the end the copper said that he would take the Westy away from me there and then cus of dangerous driving!  The only reason that he did not was cus the other P.C was to FAT and would never get in it Was let of as they had another shout to go to and have never got any points:D :D:D

So far clean from speeding offences, however a few cautions for dangerous driving. To be fair they were deserved; we were trying to become the fastest flower delivery boys in the West Midlands.

Fastest speeds on the uk roads, 150 smiles per oeur down the A50 on a ZZR1100 (not to be confused by miles per hour)

Fastest legal speed - 145 around MIRA.

Total of 5 times in 31 years but clean (at the moment)  ;)

About 16 years ago I went to court as I had done 55 in a 40 but was trying to get out of the way of the git in a Rover on my rear bumper on a suburban dual carriageway ....turned out to be a police sargeant in an unmarked car  :arse: told the magistrate why I was speeding (and he confirmed with the officer that he was 'close' behind me) and got minimum fine and 3 points  :( then went on to a job interview where I got offered the job which ended up lasting 15 years and paying rather well  :cool:  :D  until my redundancy that is  :t-up:

once saw 165 on the clock (motorbike) on the A24 - can't try that anymore 'cos of all the bl**** cameras  :angry:  not that I condone it mind you etc etc  :D