Everyone needs a Spock button

Captain Colonial

57 minutes ago, jeff oakley said:

The EU could accept your qualifications, they did before but have chosen not to accept them now, why? If you were skilled before your are now.

My license Is recognised within all EU member states at present. In the event of a no deal there are no reciprocal agreements in place. So, skilled yes, licensed to certify, no. I'd have to start from scratch. In the case of an agreed exit deal everyone expects there would be a reciprocal agreement.

My industry is renowned for its peaks and troughs and it looks like it's on the cusp of a trough, in the past if it's got really bad I've had the option to work abroad to keep money coming in.

So selfishly yes a deal is a must for me personally. But mine is just one industry. How many others are being affected even now with just the uncertainty before it even happens? It's time everyone stopped puffing their chests out and got it done.

15 hours ago, jeff oakley said:

The EU could accept your qualifications, they did before but have chosen not to accept them now, why? If you were skilled before your are now

My brother lives in France and their politicians are basically still saying that we will be forced to vote again and if we vote to stay this time arond that every concession we have the other members will vote to remove. It is so sad we are at this point.

What is for certain Kenneth Clarke or Harriet Harmon are not the answer but I am not sure even if we locked everyone in a room they would still disagree

What we have is unaccountable politicians (UK and EU) who care nothing for their electorate and play with lives because they have a rule and want to stick to it regardless. Pragmatism defeated by dogmatism.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1164873/emmanuel-macron-france-news-yellow-vest-gilets-jaunes   "Macron crisis: Yellow Vest protestors attack MP’s office – ‘Very violent society’ ."

The 39th week of gillet jaunes protests/riots and still Macron thinks he's a success.  God save us all from deluded politicians.

21 hours ago, jeff oakley said:

Steve, I don't think anyone wants to have no deal but the problem seems to be that the deal on offer made no one happy. The EU is playing a very high stake game of poker.

The EU gave us a deal it knew would not get voted through parliament, they're still hoping for a 2nd referendum, a 3rd, a 4th, a 5th, until they get the result they want. I think we're going to have to force their hand, but the media has recently been promoting Corbyn again, after he lost favour some months back, we're seeing stories using Corbyn images where he's trying to look like a strong and capable leader, whilst seeing images of Boris where he's half way through speaking a word., or where they've managed to catch him looking angry.

Brexit is going to get much messier.

EU say current Withdrawal Agreement (their terminology) is the only one and CANNOT be reopened so what good would Ken Clarke's Brexit extension do?

Likely they will only negotiate properly once we have left and need trade to continue. Already a variety of measures have been agreed with the EU for post withdrawal trade etc. and these are not 'Deal' dependent.

Update.----Of course if trade is seriously disrupted and delayed at Ports and the produce of French farmers cannot be bought because it will rot at the dockside there is every likelihood that the French farmers would ensure Paris is in flames while the politicians have a rethink.

On 16/08/2019 at 11:06, Lyonspride said:

The vote was totally unprecedented in UK history,  and for the first time in god knows how long, the people on the lowest incomes, living in the poorest areas, with the highest crime rates, felt they could finally have a say. Millions of people who simply never vote, because they've always felt it pointless.

I expect the electoral commission or the ONS or some other independent or trustworthy body to have the numbers for this. Please show them. I'd like to have a read of that analysis.

On 16/08/2019 at 13:16, DonPeffers said:

Democracy as a precious thing, and relatively young in the UK. Youngsters are likely to imagine democracy has existed for many hundreds of years and cannot imagine its disappearance.

We've had democracy for a lot longer than most of the rest of the world. Sure there was all the things we dislike including voter intimidation back in the early days but never-the-less we've had a more-or-less functional democracy for well over a century.

At the end of the second world war (and assuming I remember correctly) there were just 11 democracies in the world.

On 16/08/2019 at 18:46, jeff oakley said:

My brother lives in France and their politicians are basically still saying that we will be forced to vote again and if we vote to stay this time around that every concession we have the other members will vote to remove.

So if we have a second referendum and vote remain, the EU will punish us for exercising free will by making seem as if we had actually left anyway? And there are people who still think staying in is a good idea?

On 16/08/2019 at 13:47, jeff oakley said:

Certainly the leaders of the last 25 years have all lied to us about everything

Not sure that's true. Cameron promised a leave referendum and he delivered one. Blair promised New Labour. He delivered. No-one voted for a coalition so that doesn't count!

As mentioned already we will still trade with Europe. I don't think they can afford to run the place without us, or more accurately, our money.

The politicians are doing politics and right now they are doing it badly. Businesses will find a way to trade in spite of this.