Is a Mondeo a good idea ?

nice_guy

I did a short test drive on a focus 1.0.

The engine is brilliant. Very quiet. An engineering success. Torquey as a big diesel lump. Very, very quiet. Stop/start unnoticeable. Very smooth. Utterly boring.

It adds speed without fuss, but it's like taking a train.

I searched remaps online, but I fear I adds grunt instead of gut...

Out of interest, was it 125 or 100PS version (the 100PS has no torque overboost)? 

36 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Out of interest, was it 125 or 100PS version (the 100PS has no torque overboost)? 

Ah, thanks for the reminder. It was the 125. Come to think of it, could not feel any surge of power, either by flooring it in gear or from standing traffic light.

Don't get me wrong, it's a VERY competent engine, but I drive pre-usb cars, that have a certain amount of jerk (the engine characteristic), this little engine hides its capacity in an astounding way, but besides a bit of drone up the rev counter you'd better rely on the clocks than on the seat of your pants to have an idea of the progress you're making.

Ain't no wooshing rally rep. Very straight torque curve, very linear rev adding through the range, little turbine lag.

Makes my old daily rusty nail feel positively Hennessy in comparison (and it's NOT a fire breathing c63 by any means)

As an engineer, you'd probably be interested in the amount of closed loop torque control that manages the lash crossings and damps the jerks that you're missing. Turn that all off and it's as rough as a pre-USB car... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

As an engineer, you'd probably be interested in the amount of closed loop torque control that manages the lash crossings and damps the jerks that you're missing. Turn that all off and it's as rough as a pre-USB car... 

Oh, I do believe most of the smoothness in reccipropistonwobblinging masses is mechanical, the jerk I mentionned was the variation in power delivery. Some may call it character, it's to some extent inefficient but I like the sensations.

An engine with no low grunt that suddenly gets into its strides at a certain load / rpm has some variation in power across the range. This lil' 1.0 has none, and I believe it's part wanted outcome (friendly engine) and partly to have very controlled fuelling / emissions.

(That's also why I like to some extent carburetted engine, """imperfect""" fuelling make the power delivery less linear)

The 3 pot stays Dr Jeckyll forever, and I like that because it has achieved near optimal characteristics, and I don't like it because there is no hope through the range that it'll suddenly come alive at 4500 rpm. Maybe that's just the way it stays quiet, but even when the "vrrrrrrrrr" becomes more audible inside it did not feel accelerating with more urge. Then you see the speedo and, well, that's no slouch.

Maybe my taste was shaped in the previous century, and I don't see the good things in evolution. Or maybe I've been married too long to enjoy perfection ?

Well it's certainly true that the flat torque curve from 1500-4000rpm is intentional and the engine does run without overfuelling below about 4500rpm.

The 140PS 1.0 is a little more exciting, but not in Focus unfortunately where you need to go to the enormous 1.5 3-pot for more power. The 155PS 48V hybrid is better still, but you'll have to wait for the Puma to try that one... 

Oh, I don't want more power, I just would like it to be a bit odd shaped. I guess I'll have to rely on music to provide entertainment onboard... and I'll probably get used to it eventually.

On 02/09/2019 at 00:59, nice_guy said:

I did a short test drive on a focus 1.0.

The engine is brilliant. Very quiet. An engineering success. Torquey as a big diesel lump. Very, very quiet. Stop/start unnoticeable. Very smooth. Utterly boring.

It adds speed without fuss, but it's like taking a train.

I searched remaps online, but I fear I adds grunt instead of gut...

Mate of mine is an RAC patrol and has suggested that once these get to about 70,000+ miles, they are to be avoided...

4 hours ago, Blatman said:

Mate of mine is an RAC patrol and has suggested that once these get to about 70,000+ miles, they are to be avoided...

main-qimg-9e35a580223bb0c256099a1bcce533

Drat.

What's the failure pattern ?

For balance, keep in mind that Fiesta and Focus are amongst the highest selling cars in the UK, with the 1.0 engine most popular. There will be failures, of course, but it meets all the same durability tests as every Ford engine, which have excellent reputation. 

Don't be swayed either way by random comments on a chat forum. 

On 05/09/2019 at 23:00, Kit Car Electronics said:

For balance, keep in mind that Fiesta and Focus are amongst the highest selling cars in the UK, with the 1.0 engine most popular. There will be failures, of course, but it meets all the same durability tests as every Ford engine, which have excellent reputation. 

Yep, but I'm in uncharted land regarding this """daily""" car I have to renew.

What I was knowledgeable about is gone, emissions make such engines are not welcome anymore (Common rail, non variable geometry turbo, and if possible non of the swallow-your-own-fart valve). Now diesel as well as petrol piston engines are very dense with modes and complex contraptions, hurting reliability by mere mathematics.

The logical step would be a very simple vehicule with few components, but I'm not ready to put tesla money in... a tesla. (my therapist says it's going to improve with time)

The more logical step would be not to own but to rent when needed, but the model is not mature yet.

So in the next decade I'll be torn between the good old inexpensive (t)rusty nails that will be banned from about everywhere, and the nice but pricey electric automotive dream.

Among this torment maelstrom was that island of downsized known value, the 3 pot ecoboost. Not something I lust for, but let's call it the least violence path.

I guess it's the bane of any great paradigm shake, the "good old proven" is unavailable for some time. You have to take a breath and hope that you will not regret your choice...

9 hours ago, nice_guy said:

main-qimg-9e35a580223bb0c256099a1bcce533

Drat.

What's the failure pattern ?

Don't remember. I'll ask next time I see him.

On 05/09/2019 at 22:00, Kit Car Electronics said:

When Ford technical told my dealer to fit a blanking plate to the purge/evap control to fix a MIL on my 3 month old focus 1.0 125 (2019) I lost a lot of faith in that excellent reputation. Aside from being an illegal modification it would never have fixed the problem and showed no regard for my time in travel to/from the dealer (which would have been required soon after to remove said blanking plate).

Made me an 'awkward customer' for refusing that 'repair' apparently. I have to admit my reaction has been to start researching alternative cars.

3 hours ago, RichK said:

When Ford technical told my dealer to fit a blanking plate to the purge/evap control to fix a MIL on my 3 month old focus 1.0 125 (2019) I lost a lot of faith in that excellent reputation. Aside from being an illegal modification it would never have fixed the problem and showed no regard for my time in travel to/from the dealer (which would have been required soon after to remove said blanking plate).

Made me an 'awkward customer' for refusing that 'repair' apparently. I have to admit my reaction has been to start researching alternative cars.

Hi Rich, please PM me details and I'll investigate (in my 'official' Ford capacity) 

Cheers, 

Mike

5 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Hi Rich, please PM me details and I'll investigate (in my 'official' Ford capacity) 

Cheers, 

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'll PM you this evening.

Cheers,

Rich

• Thanks 1