Is a Mondeo a good idea ?

nice_guy

45 minutes ago, shrops-paul said:

It didnt come with a duster though Chris?

😄

Haha no, I’m not too good at that sort of thing. Gets dusted every service by Mr Honda 😁👍

• Haha 1

Having seen all Chris's Glamping gear disappear with ease into the Honda, even the biggest camp bed I've ever seen! I can attest to it's Tardis like dimensions. A very impressive estate car.

I've got a MK4 (2009), the built quality is pretty poor and i've heard from plenty of people than whilst quite a nice looking car, the MK5 is worse. Ford have this tendency to build all of their cars using plastic clips, which then snap off and leave your trim in a right state. On the mechanical side, the suspension is made from pressed metal sheets instead proper solid parts, they work, they're solid enough (when new), but it's just cheap and makes it really hard to find anywhere to place a floor jack.

Mk3 Mondeo is HUGE, almost Granada sized.

My 55 plate 2.0 TDCI Focus is only about 8 inches shorter than the S reg Mk2 Mondeo it replaced. Cars are getting bigger...

If it was me, unless I needed the size/space, I'd look at the last model Focus before they changed to the current shape. I will be going for this option later this year, probably a 2015 plate diesel that passes the ULEZ requirements. If the later Focus is anything like my current one, it'll cost nothing to run (my current 108000 miler still returns 40+ MPG with me driving it like I stole it and with the A/C on all the time. On a motorway run I can get close to 50mpg. I expect a modern 1.5 TDC to beat that and with more power on tap as well!) and servicing and parts are cheap. And you can still work on a lot of it yourself in the way that you always could on a Ford...

23 hours ago, pistonbroke said:

Had a Mondeo Estate for 6 years , Great cars but not as good as the Skoda Octavia estate I run now ( IMO )  better all round , ride handling comfort economy .

Also got an Octavia Estate - love it. I’ve had a few mondeo hire cars, a nice steer but the interior quality is crap. 

3DEBD423-503B-48A9-9248-3F494D76B743.thumb.jpeg.84d7e96c447bb4e439ad8e8f2a75c624.jpeg

Beast!

2 hours ago, Blatman said:

Mk3 Mondeo is HUGE, almost Granada sized.

My 55 plate 2.0 TDCI Focus is only about 8 inches shorter than the S reg Mk2 Mondeo it replaced. Cars are getting bigger...

If it was me, unless I needed the size/space, I'd look at the last model Focus before they changed to the current shape. I

Hence why I suggested my current ride, the civic tourer. Bigger load space than a Mondeo (and MUCH bigger than a Focus) yet much smaller car with better mpg. Best of all worlds!

On 06/08/2019 at 21:52, Blatman said:

Cars are getting bigger...

Yep. You're getting a postcode instead of a vin these days...

On 06/08/2019 at 21:52, Blatman said:

If it was me, unless I needed the size/space, I'd look at the last model Focus before they changed to the current shape.

That's my first target, but the lady said "oooh, that looks niiiiice" seeing a mondeo, so, I try to find out if that's worth the extra cash and extra meter of car... but I'll stick to petrol engine.

22 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Hence why I suggested my current ride, the civic tourer. Bigger load space than a Mondeo (and MUCH bigger than a Focus) yet much smaller car with better mpg. Best of all worlds!

Would not meet none of the WAFs. 

If you're going for a mondeo, especially around 2017 build, be wary of a saggy dash. If it's saggy, you'll be able to see the foam between window and dash in the centre. I bought one without realising, it doesn't bother me, but if I wanted to get it fixed it needs the window removing.

On the positive, it's a very comfortable car to drive long distances and gets good fuel economy (combined 50mpg). The heated windscreen is a brilliant bonus in the winter on a frosty morning. 

8 minutes ago, Andrew (Fat_chap) said:

If you're going for a mondeo, especially around 2017 build, be wary of a saggy dash. If it's saggy, you'll be able to see the foam between window and dash in the centre.. 

Like, a bright beige sliver of foam right in the middle of your field of vision ?

8 minutes ago, Andrew (Fat_chap) said:

gets good fuel economy (combined 50mpg).

I assume it's a 2.0 diesel powerplant ?

The foam is black, so it's not too noticeable. It's in the centre of the dash/windscreen, so not directly in the driver's view. See the picture

Yeah, it's the 2.0l diesel, 150bhp. It is quick enough and pulls nicely at 70mph +

20190813_192215.jpg

Edited by Andrew (Fat_chap)
Picture added

On 12/08/2019 at 23:41, Andrew (Fat_chap) said:

The foam is black, so it's not too noticeable.

Can't even notice it...

All in all I'll put the big ford on the list for "when disaster strikes". (well, it'll be a cambelt probably)