Favourite album of all time...

GaryD1971

48 minutes ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

Me too,

Why I like this sort of thread.

Me too! 

I've broadened my musical horizons far more in the last few days than I have in the past 20 years! :laugh:

• Like 1

@Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO @Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO If you like Tash, then Fingers Mitchell Cullen, Xavier Rudd and the John Butler Trio are fellow aussies of a similar cut and use looping, but with a more distinctively indigenous influence, and heavy on the electro-acoustic guitar.

I love covers that are arguably better than the very famous original, like...

Far Corporation - Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin)

Iron Horse - Rocket Man (Elton John)

Jimmy Barnes and Joe Bonamassa - Lazy (Deep Purple)

Faith No More - Easy  (Commodores)

Stereophonics - Don't Let Me Down (Beatles)

:popcorn:

6 hours ago, BigSkyBrad said:

...I love covers that ARE better than the original,

like....

Civil Wars - Billy Jean

Johnny Cash - Hurt

37 minutes ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Much as I love NIN - this is just so much more atmospheric than Reznor’s original

Like has been written elsewhere in the thread I reckon the music we like is contextual e.g. university, apprenticeship, first job, getting married, first kids etc will each have music we were playing at the time as favourites, but having written that there are three albums that I just can’t shake off; all from around the end of school, sixth form and pre-university summers - seasonal working, sixth form parties and racing driving “hot” minis round darkest Dorset.

Eagles – Greatest Hits 1971 – 1974
Meatloaf – Bat out of Hell
Fleetwood Mac – Rumours

Gary

20 minutes ago, GaryH said:

Meatloaf – Bat out of Hell

I used to love that when I was a teenage kid in the early 70’s  - but absolutely loathe it now! 

For me the 70’s was all about heavy rock (not metal) and prog rock. So Uriah Heep, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Lizzy, Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Camel, Soft Machine etc. But then punk arrived a blew away the cobwebs. Now I can only listen to Zeppelin and Floyd the rest I find a bit annoying. Give me Underworld or 65daysofstatic any day now

Funny how how we change 😁

Added on from this - best live gig?

Now I’ve seen a few in my time so it’s once again difficult to pick out one. 

Some amazing gigs have included the likes of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Roy Harper, John Martyn, The Damned, the Pixies, Neil Young, Marylin Manson, Arab Strap, Isis, underworld, Orbital and a load more I can’t recall - it’s an age thing. 

But the ones that really stood out for me personally were:

Mogwai - in a side tent at Leeds festival, have seen them maybe 10 times since

Sensational Alex Harvey Band - to see him perform ‘Next’ live was worth the trip to Scotland

The Prodigy - Newcastle arena - my eldest son’s first gig and we fought our way to the mosh pit - epic. (Red Snapper as support were brilliant too)

65daysofstatic - at the Archer pub, there were maybe 10 people there with 5 of those seeing the support act (British Sea Power) - the lads played their heart out as if it was a full stadium gig. Awesome. Now one of my fave bands. 

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Newcastle Uni - unbelievable performance sending shivers down my spine. Their albums are full of way too much dirge driven indulgence, but live they are stunning. 

There’s so much more but that’ll do for now!

2 hours ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

like....

Civil Wars - Billy Jean

...and Chris Cornell's version for that matter.    And have you seen the guy on youtube that plays all the instruments for Billie Jean just on a ukelele?!

Best gig?  Samantha Fish, three weeks ago. I've waited years to see my most favourite artist live, and given the venues she filled for her European tour, got to see her in the smallest. Three people back from the stage in a 110 people capacity room. It's hard to beat an international artist in a wee venue/pub - it's like you were invited there. And she's so approachable, always has a meet'n'greet after a small gig (as she flogs merch of course!). Loved the opening band too, already downloaded some of their songs - Curse of Lono.

1 hour ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Some amazing gigs have included the likes of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Roy Harper, John Martyn, The Damned, the Pixies, Neil Young, Marylin Manson, Arab Strap, Isis, underworld, Orbital and a load more I can’t recall - it’s an age thing. 

Sensational Alex Harvey Band - to see him perform ‘Next’ live was worth the trip to Scotland

The Prodigy - Newcastle arena - my eldest son’s first gig and we fought our way to the mosh pit - epic. (Red Snapper as support were brilliant too)

65daysofstatic - at the Archer pub, there were maybe 10 people there with 5 of those seeing the support act (British Sea Power) - the lads played their heart out as if it was a full stadium gig. Awesome. Now one of my fave bands. 

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Newcastle Uni - unbelievable performance sending shivers down my spine. Their albums are full of way too much dirge driven indulgence, but live they are stunning. 

It does seem to be natural progression on from the original thread! Nicely done @Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO!

I haven't seen as many live gigs as yourself, but my list would include Thunder, several times (Probably the most underated live British rock band ever), Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Guns n roses, Terrorvision, King king, Status quo, Scissor sisters, Dodgy, Ac/Dc, Iron maiden, Motorhead, and a few others that I've probably forgotten for good reason!

The one band that stood out a mile for me though, was Train. I wasn't over bothered about going down to London to see them, but the wife is a big fan so I accompanied her. They were absolutely brilliant! Really old school type of gig! Would love to see them again.

Probably add a few more when i remember them...

Just before Christmas 2017, I saw 4 bands at the first direct areana in Leeds, Elvis with the Royal Philharmonic, James Blunt, The Killers and Queen with Adam Lambert. Queen were the best. 

Status Quo 3 times, twice before Rick Parfitt died and "Aquostic" without him. 

5 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Same music tastes as me, well back then in late sixties early seventies. Seen all the first bands you mention as well.  Best live band for me was The Who,  Live atLeeds, can you hear me shouting in the background?  

I wouldnt go and see any big live concerts now, too expensive and you’re about 1/2 mile from the stage. Don’t recall ever paying to see these bands either, always found a way in for free,  great memories from back then.

No ones mentioned Yes yet.   See them at my local youth club soon after Yes Songs was released, again free entrance and the support band was East of Eden, remember them?

Im dissapointed with most of the new solo singers,  most of them called James something,  they all have squeaky/girlie voices but refreshingly l like George Ezra, great voice.

3 hours ago, SootySport said:

Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd,

Oh Yes I did!

So you did,   Perhaps we were at the same gigs😀 and did you pay for any?

Haha -  I paid for most of them but do recall seeing Zeppelin at Knebworth for free - most of the rock gigs were 76-79 after that I changed tack and went more “alternative” styleeee