2019 Trackday chat

Andrew

17 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Yeah Blyton is definitely a very good track to learn on with loads of run off pretty much everywhere. 

I'll check it out bit it's probably a little too far away. I'd be driving there and back. No trailer. Not even got a towbar to pull a trailer on any of my cars. Yet. 

You’ll need a Jerry can. Better not to have a very full tank as it’s less likely to accidentally escape and get you black flagged. 

There are always idiots! 

As for Mallory not done it but tracks that are tight on a bike would feel better in a car in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Ruttager said:

I'll check it out bit it's probably a little too far away. I'd be driving there and back. No trailer. Not even got a towbar to pull a trailer on any of my cars. Yet. 

Just stop over at the black horse for £55 and as Blyton is reasonably priced it’s still good value 

Done Mallory a few times. Great place for a westie and relatively low speed to get used to the car, but challenging to get your skills honed. Watch out for fuel starvation through Gerrard.  Keep the tank topped up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

You’ll need a Jerry can. Better not to have a very full tank as it’s less likely to accidentally escape and get you black flagged. 

There are always idiots! 

As for Mallory not done it but tracks that are tight on a bike would feel better in a car in my opinion. 

I wouldn't discount Mallory I'm just a bit sour about coming off. It got busy on the track as it's fairly short and that doesn't appeal but if it's organised well then that shouldn't be a problem. I'll keep an eye for any good deals. 

I've got most of the bits such as Jerry cans, from before. 

Best track for thrill and less risk is Anglesey.  It's a trek for you but massive run off, high speeds and challenging parts to master.

Oulton is my local track and my favourite or Cadwell but a bit tricky for a first one unless you can curb your own enthusiasm....

You need a lot of power at Anglesey 

Donnington is of course local too and high speed.

I would add the cost of an overnight stay and do some tracks that are best for a westie if you don't want just the nearest.

I do remember car track says are more expensive than bikes though.

Whilst it's never a good plan, an oops moment in a westie might leave you red faced and needing a moment to reduce your heart rate,it's less likely to hurt you. 

Enjoy

I drive my car to circuits and usually drive home again, fully loaded up even as far as Anglesey (5hrs each way for me)

I usually reckon on 60-80 litres on a good day. Some circuits have fuel but more convenient and cheaper to take your own. 

1 hour ago, 6carjon said:

Watch out for fuel starvation through Gerrard.  Keep the tank topped up.

Yes if you don’t have a swirl pot then it’s a fine balance between over filling (potentially forcing out of breather depending on setup) and not enough in the tank!

i nearly got rear ended when mine spluttered and lost power after a series of sharp corners once. Now I have a swirl pot I can run with just a few litres in if I have to. 

• Like 1

Yes i have a drop tank in my fuel tank to fix that now

Its a good point if you want a track westie to get a swirl pot equipped one or a drop tank for fuel pickup on the actual fuel tank.

4 hours ago, Ruttager said:

I've done many track days on a bike but never in a car.

If you know your way round a circuit on a bike, I cant imagine the lines will be much different in a car. Its a good starting point. :yes:

I see the car your looking at has twin webers. (It looks a great spec for a track car btw) I run webers on my car, and .. touching wood.. I've never suffered fuel surge anywhere.. including Mallory. My understanding is the carbs have built in fuel reservoirs .. float chambers? 

Good luck with the purchase and I'll hopefully see you on track sometime. :)

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Andrew said:

If you know your way round a circuit on a bike, I cant imagine the lines will be much different in a car. Its a good starting point. :yes:

I see the car your looking at has twin webers. (It looks a great spec for a track car btw) I run webers on my car, and .. touching wood.. I've never suffered fuel surge anywhere.. including Mallory. My understanding is the carbs have built in fuel reservoirs .. float chambers? 

Good luck with the purchase and I'll hopefully see you on track sometime. :)

It’s quite different in my experience. Braking and corner entry/exit change. I recall getting some instruction in an Elise at donny before I bought the Westy and after two corners the instructor said “your a biker aren’t you...” 

as for carbs, yes the float bowls will act as reservoirs and go a very long way to stop surge issues. 

Just now, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

after two corners the instructor said “your a biker aren’t you...” 

Maybe it was when you opened the door and put your foot down when you stopped Chris. :laugh:

• Haha 3

:laugh:

Yep, easy to tell a biker... turn in too early and early on the brakes, but not scared of speed and very smooth on the controls!

Forgot to turn the fuel pump on for a session in my old car with a 919 Blade engine (carbs), got all the way to Wiggler at Blyton before it cut out!

Thanks all. 

It'll certainty be interesting to do tracks that I'm familiar with on the bike. Silverstone was close and I loved going there when I lived in Northampton. Reading some of this thread there are concerns about the long straights? Is that just topping out due to the gear ratios? 

I'll probably see what's going on in here and tag along to one of the closer track days if that's OK. 

47 minutes ago, Ruttager said:

I'll probably see what's going on in here and tag along to one of the closer track days if that's OK. 

I can only speak for myself, but this is such a friendly club I’m certain you will be welcome to tag along with any of us.