2019 Trackday chat

Andrew

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

How was Oulton yesterday? 

Damp track in some areas until just before dinner,plenty of red flags😏

The longest delay was a V8 Westfield depositing a full tank of fuel around half the track on the third session of sighting laps,then running out before it got back to pits:ph34r:

First time I've used my car on track with the V6 in it,and struggled on the damp track, would wheelspin at random damp parts doing 70-80mph.

Swapped my wheels over to my 13's at dinner time as there was a dry line all the way around the track,felt much better then my clutch started slipping not long after,so didn't see out the afternoon😡

• Like 1

Ah, wondered why I didn't see you in the afternoon Kev, sorry to hear about the clutch!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CosKev said:

The longest delay was a V8 Westfield depositing a full tank of fuel around half the track on the third session of sighting laps,then running out before it got back to pits:ph34r:

That must have made quite a mess on a wet track! 😭

4 hours ago, AdamR said:

Ah, wondered why I didn't see you in the afternoon Kev, sorry to hear about the clutch!

Could hear you getting a fair few good laps in when it went quiet in the afternoon:t-up:

Been out this morning and I can not make the clutch slip,so thinking its heat related.

Could do about 3 laps then it would start slipping,wasn't a slight slip either, was full on loss of drive???

Not hot or burning smell,its a kevlar drive plate,anyone know/has experience of using a kevlar plate and if they are sensitive to heat?

Yeah I ended up staying out for at least half an hour towards the end of the day. Then got black flagged, again, for 'drifting', again 🤔

I have heard of clutches doing that in the past but no specific experience myself, hopefully someone can chime in :yes:

Here's a vid of one scruffy lap, trying out Nankang AR1s. Despite not many cars booked on I didn't get many clear laps at all, this was one of hte only ones! I'll put some more blurb in my build thread when I update it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AdamR said:

:laugh: There's actually a few decent shots of me, one I'm tempted to buy actually!

pic.jpg.dd250fbd17f183f273163ace2c955c9f.jpg

None of you drifting? :)

None! I have a feeling they ask the 'tog not to put those up, otherwise it might encourage sliding about...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, CosKev said:

None of you drifting? :)

Maybe the photographer was diving for cover? 😉

@AdamR From your Build diary.. don't want to clutter it up..

"One thing I did immediately feel though was that they ride kerbs much better than the Uniroyals, which seemed to kick the car violently despite their soft sidewall. Unsure why this could be - heavier wheel therefore less likely to bounce up? Stiffer sidewall transfers more load into the dampers (rather than it just flexing the sidewall), and thus the deflection is much more controlled?"

I have a theory.. :oops: .. not sure it fits perfectly with what you're finding mind. There's a corner at Knockhill with a kerb, not a particularly big one either.. if I try to use it, it kicks the car sideways. I've followed IRS cars through it and they don't appear to be affected as much.. my theory is as my car is a live axle, I'm imagining any lift on the inside rear wheel will alter the grip on the outer loaded rear wheel? i.e going from a nice flat contact patch to losing half the  contact area pretty much instantly?

Does that sound plausible or just a load of old row locks?

Absolutely plausible, and that's exactly what I put it down to at first. I agree a love (sic) axle will always ride kerbs 'worse' than IRS, both given half decent setups.

However, it was the clear difference between the road tyres and the Nankangs that made me ponder. Perhaps my post wasn't clear, apologies, it was commenting on the difference between the tyres, IYSWIM, rather than anything else.