Stuff to watch over the winter.

Thrustyjust

Boats turned corners as quick as a Westfield which is amazing for a water Bourne vessel.

Not so amazing if you think how much denser water is compared to air :t-up:

13 minutes ago, pistonbroke said:

Boats turned corners as quick as a Westfield which is amazing for a water Bourne vessel.

Not so amazing if you think how much denser water is compared to air :t-up:

Both tarmac and rubber are even denser! :o

7 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Both tarmac and rubber are even denser! :o

Agreed but the boat has to displace a whole load of water before it can slip , whereas the westy is governed by the amount of friction btw tarmac & rubber :p

1 hour ago, pistonbroke said:

Agreed but the boat has to displace a whole load of water before it can slip , whereas the westy is governed by the amount of friction btw tarmac & rubber :p

As a sufferer from motion sickness I can tolerate only a couple of laps of a circuit as a passenger in an enclosed car or a smooth crossing of the English channel or from Pembroke to Rosslare. A combination of violent direction changes and a water borne vehicle would, I suspect, guarantee 'feed-back' on a pretty quick return! Oddly, though, as a passenger in my Westfield I have never had a problem. My son's Z4M is a proper puke-inducer as would be one of those power boats. However, I digress... :getmecoat:

Another nice build project of a Ferrari F355 engine and box in an S1 Elise and is a 'proper' track car. Sadly not seen running but some nice fabrication and CNC stuff to boot.

Bit disappointed there's no GT or TG Xmas special this year.....although the new TG team of Flintoff, McGuiness and Harris may turn out to be an improvement...

@Man On The Clapham Omnibus @pistonbroke

Those sprint boats draw less than 6 inches up on the plane, however the hull is riddled with strakes and chines so they are pretty grippy. But when they let go, they let go, hence the rollcage. The pivot point is not much aft of centre so they are almost turning on themselves.

If that course was tarmac, there is no way a Westfield could beat the boat times. Those boats are full throttle the whole way, they are cornering at the same speed as the straights speed - if you lift the throttle you sink off the plane and bog down because the effective plane footprint is relatively tiny. The G's must be huge, but luckily only momentary - but the brain slosh inside the skull would be disorientating the first time.

Much like aerobatics. Anyone done any of that? My dad used to have a wee aerobatics plane (Bolkow 208 Junior), and when I was in the RNZAF I was very lucky to do a second-seat 2-hour low-level (250ft most of the way) bombing run in an A4-K Skyhawk through the mountains of the South Island! So far, I've never been air, sea or car sick, and I've been in some big sea too - was once on the ferry between the North and South Island, which is the notorious Cook Strait. It's normally a 3.5 hr crossing, but after 4.5 hours we were only halfway across so it turned back - the boat absolutely reeked of vomit!

Interesting Brad, thanks! I might vomit playing a computer game! :blush:

Brother Peter ( aka Pistonbroke2 ) owns a replica of ex PM Ted Heath's  Sparkman & Stevens 34 used to win the  67 Sydney Hobart race , considered to be one of the toughest events n the boating world .

My dream wish would to have been on board :rolleyes:

sydney hobart

Some years the attrition rate can be as high as a fifth of the fleet, especially when the Roaring Forties are in full-hell blowing up from Antarctica.

Just been introduced to Assetto Corsa on VR. OMG...

Just pricing up some Fanatec gear. I could buy a real car for the money this stuff costs but the VR version is pretty good and the running costs are much lower!

MotCO, have a sick bag nearby :oops: 

46 minutes ago, Blatman said:

Just been introduced to Assetto Corsa on VR. OMG...

Just pricing up some Fanatec gear. I could buy a real car for the money this stuff costs but the VR version is pretty good and the running costs are much lower!

MotCO, have a sick bag nearby :oops: 

Is the Vive significantly better than the Rift, do you know?

No idea. I'm at "bluffers guide" level right now. The Occulus Rift does seem to be very popular though. There is also the fanboi element to be considered. Occulus Rift Vs Rive at the moment to me looks like Apple Vs PC, Caterham Vs Westfield type discussion :oops:

That car looks to be a bit of a handful considering the road is apparently dry. Given that the surface seems a bit slippery the driver is being a bit 'bold' on an open public road. Hard to judge on screen, but grip doesn't seem to be the car's best attribute.

:barf: