How to get rid of birds ?

Thrustyjust

Following on from the rat issues with neighbours over feeding the birds in the winter. We now have a problem of overweight birds pooing everywhere. We average about 6 strikes on the cars and probably 4 or 5 windows a day , which is getting tedious and a pain . We have already had at least 4 paint disfigures on the cars this week alone. Its even burning the plastic on the window frames . We seem to be infested with them. As I write another strike is rolling down a window. So, what can we do ? Our thoughts on a decoy bird of prey on the ridge of the house may deter, but has anyone any ideas on this. The wife is going to see one neighbour tomorrow about feeding our cat , as they want to do that and have at least 3 bird tables for the birds too. 

We have never had this issue before on this level. Even the Westfield when I pushed it out for 20 mins from the garage got hit twice. Help !!

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

One of those birds of prey kites that the farmers use?

We had an issue locally that the council cleared a site with a tower, which was a perch for about 500 pigeons . This made them move and roost in the surrounding area . The local Volvo dealers did have a couple of those on long poles wafting in the wind, as they were plagued when the tower was initially demolished.

Wood pigeons are my pet hate

.177 or .22 ?

• Haha 1

Never had an issue getting rid of birds..  Getting a bird seamed to be a lot harder.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, pistonbroke said:

being a bird type person,  I'm with the birds on this :popcorn:

I have no issues with birds, only their crap they keep dropping. And when the fruit comes out, then the acid gets stronger and damages paint even more.  After a week, you wouldnt think I cleaned the windows the previous weekend, its that bad Bernie.

It is because they know they get fed and are safe there especially if as it sounds you are surrounded by people who feed them even through the summer.

As others have said, get deterrents like kite types or decoys or even one of those items farmers use that make a bang irregularly to scare them away.

We also had a neighbour who put so much food out that it caused a rat infestation and had to be taken to court to stop putting it out.

Yes, got a neighbour at the moment, who’s putting so much food out we’re all, (in the vicinity), having big problems with squirrel infestations. Trouble is, they’re so well fed, I’m afraid traps, humane or otherwise, are useless, as they quite literally wont take the bait.

Throw some hard boiled eggs over the fence to bind the birds up and give them constipation.

Catch the birds and stick corks up their bums.

• Like 1

Can you obtain a recording of a bird in distress or similar, the kind of thing used at airports to prevent bird strikes? Although if played constantly it may turn out to be worse than the original issue.

• Haha 1

A decoy sparrow hawk or kestrel works well but you need to move it around regularly, else the lesser birds get used to the decoys.

I'm no expert on birds but my racing pigeon friend knows about this stuff.

These are pretty deadly apparently...

wind-onshore-48-158-3d-landscape-1-3000p