Gear shift pattern

BugMan

Now don't shoot me for asking what on the face of it is a seemingly stupid question, but what is the shift pattern in my Sport 250's MX5 5 speed gearbox?

I've never driven or been in an MX5 and a quick "google" just confused me further as i have no working clutch yet and the nice silver gear-knob for WF is of no help.

MX5 knob.JPG

Don't worry, that's a good question! We had to experiment with ours as the supplied gearstick had no markings on it either.

The knob on the left of your photo is correct - 5 gears with reverse where 6th would be. You don't have to push the stick in or anything to get it into reverse - it just goes in with a bit of effort.

I was going to ask you yesterday if it was 5 or 6 speed. 

That answers my question. 

21 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

5 speed Woooooohahahahahahahahaha

Can't remember the last time I drove something with only 5 gears - I'm going to have to be careful not to try to ram it into 6th gear at speed!

1 minute ago, Exitus said:

Can't remember the last time I drove something with only 5 gears - I'm going to have to be careful not to try to ram it into 6th gear at speed!

Yep, 6th could be reverse :o

1 minute ago, Thrustyjust said:

Yep, 6th could be reverse :o

Indeed! Might not do the gearbox much good...

Not long after I fitted a six speed to my Westy, I'd done a trackday at Donington and on the journey home I twice tried to select 6th in my old five speed Avensis! .. It doesn't like it! ;)

He needs 6 gears as the rice burner has no torque......

:d:getmecoat:

Im always doing the same in the works transit connects. They really don't like trying to select reverse at 70:o

Definitely not a stupid question. I bought my first Westfield from a guy that told me it was a 4 speed box.... turned out it was five speed! which worried me a bit as he’d had it for over a year! :rolleyes:

Just now, Jim G said:

Definitely not a stupid question. I bought my first Westfield from a guy that told me it was a 4 speed box.... turned out it was five speed! which worried me a bit as he’d had it for over a year! :rolleyes:

Lass at work, shes a bit .........er dim ( she does the wages !!!) many moons ago, got a new car ( always leased them) and never used 5th gear on her A road 30 mile commute as ' she didnt know what would happen' ................... should be banned and told to take the train.............