Life after Westy's...earning my petrolhead stripes

B.RAD

Have to agree on the French hot hatches...mate of mine was mad on them and madder on the road too...although a very quick and capable driver, he was reckless IMHO....

His cars -

Gordini

Gordini Turbo

5 turbo

21 turbo (not a hot hatch)

Alpine 3.0 (not a hot hatch either)

Clio 172

Clio 182

Turbo 2 (l/h drive and his best car by far)

Clio 190

Clio V6

My eldest had a 106 GTI which was abrilliant car and had a fantastic history too which we didnt know about until we sold it...worth a thread on its own....

Mart.

2 hours ago, BCF said:

*scurries off to Ebay to look at saxo vts*

I had a Saxo VTS as well, & agree with others - it was fantastic twisty back roads hot hatch and shamed many other on paper much quicker and dearer cars.

Before Saxo had an AXGT, which was absolute hoot around the back roads. 

Is a saxo vts better than an XR2 though? As a hot hatch, and more importantly as a 'car to have owned', it doesn't come close in my opinion. Love that there are so many fans of it though, that's really cool, and if I find myself in a gap between cars I'll keep it in mind. 

For now though, it's off the list as I've done the hot hatch thing, and have other fish to catch!

Mk2 XR2 mate, after that they were called an XR2i

I had a mk2 xr2 but preferred the look of the mk1... 

Imho the French hot hatches were better than all the old xr2 fiesta guises.....something ford has addressed now as the fiesta st is a fantastic car, especially the new 3 cylinder version....

Mart.

@BCF I think you should include a rotary on the list and also a classic of some form.  WHat my car journey has taught me is that value doesn't equate to fun. More so than ever a relatively low powered sweet handling manual car is where the real fun is on the road now.  I have just driven my doblo home cross country and absolutely eeked out all sensible performance from it on quiet roads I know well and it was fantastic. Some of my most fun cars from the past were fiat 100hp and fiat cinquecento.  David

• Like 3

Yep a w**kle is on the list :yes:

Totally agree with you David, had the exact same discussion with Keith last night. It's why I like mx5's so much, you can work them hard and have a blast, all within legal limits. 

Haven't ruled the French hatches out guys, just saying that box is done for me for now!

I think my favourite hot hatch was a Honda CRX 1.6 V-tech 2+2 hatch, by #### it could travel the back roads at very illegal rates!

Right, just been to see a turbo mx5 - one of these is now high up the list! 

Also looking at a couple of RX8's as they're just too cheap not to consider.

And then there's this, which I really, really like...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F293042237430

• Like 1

Try and find a PZ RX-8, I absolutely love mine. Gives the tax man a semi too...

• Like 1

@BCF is this sort of thing you're after.....

20190415_194539.thumb.jpg.85710a1eca9bb1eb38e44e33f5e98313.jpg20190415_194512.jpg.000ea33167d182f1c0d782cc4f593509.jpg20190415_194448.jpg.196845e5ab115c13a745ad5791d95b4c.jpg

Mapped at EFI means it's not ****... :yes: I'm there tomorrow, can ask if Chris remembers it?