Life after Westy's...earning my petrolhead stripes

B.RAD

Just now, BCF said:

Thanks Gary, good to know! Hopefully they can sort it. Yours didn't need MOT though right?

Yes it needed MOT, but a non cat system as it was a 1994 engine

• Like 1

Whens the cut off for no cat? Mines a 95... I'm fairly sure its pre-95 right??

From memory it is August 1994

1st August 1995 wasnt it? But some mx5s had them fitted earlier from memory. If it's on the system as having a cat it'll need one.

Thanks chaps. To be fair the cat isn't my concern - it has one and it will remain fitted - its failing because the injectors make it run too rich on idle. Only time will tell I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

One week until mapping!! Flippin excited! Although this is the first car I've had where I feel like something might stop the day from going how I'd like it too... 😳

• Like 1

On 10/06/2019 at 12:56, BCF said:

Be nice to have more interaction from readers though!

We’re here dude!

Back from holiday where my brain had enough time to think and plan for mapping on Tuesday. Main thing that was troubling me was that I haven't actually driven BRG since I did all the work, it's only been turned over and idled. Given that I'm driving it up to BBR for the mapping, I kinda need to know it'll be ok the get there...

So, plan of action - take it for a spin and keep fingers crossed!! So on this nice warm day, where do I go - the park? The forest? The hills for some photos? Nope. Tesco, of course! 🤣

20190623_153518.thumb.jpg.8596e4756664096df804790c7f911789.jpg

It all went well, no major issues to report. Exhaust leak and rattle all gone (now noticing an exhaust rattle coming from the back box, will investigate that later). Drove smoothly apart from an intermittently rough idle, but most importantly, the turbo is now making lots of excellent noises! Whoosh chachachachacha :laugh:

It's definitely a lot faster! Boost is showing as up to 8psi now, and that's only at about three quarter throttle and not using all the revs (my car is annoyingly a late 95 model and has a rare issue of the rev gauge not working with the ECU, there's a bridge that needs to be soldered to get it working which BBR will do for me). Bear in mind that it was only making about 4psi before (peaked at 6 but rarely) - so that's double the boost before it's been mapped!!!

Brought it home, gave it a wash and then loaded up with tools and spares ready for Tuesday. Oooh, shiny...

20190623_164543.thumb.jpg.1e0c3300eafcf302505352fa2f5beb25.jpg

Tucked away back in the garage. The seller gave me a car cover for it, he said it was just something to keep the dust off in the garage, but it's a custom fit indoor car cover with a nice little Mazda logo on it. A really nice touch I thought.

Sleep well Project BRG, Tuesday will be an interesting day...

20190623_164937.thumb.jpg.bfffe34e36b0b9233b2c187071bae062.jpg

• Like 3

I'm feeling like I need an MX5. There are 4 or 5 amongst the HBB group now 

29 minutes ago, XTR2Turbo said:

I'm feeling like I need an MX5. There are 4 or 5 amongst the HBB group now 

You DO need an mx5 David!! What's not to love - an appreciating asset, a brilliant engine, chassis and gearbox, cheap to run and maintain and diminutive to store in that epic garage of yours!!

Arrived at BBR, very excited to see what the day brings!

20190625_094351.thumb.jpg.9564e5b22635e7f4663bf81945106041.jpg

In the right place it seems...

20190625_100952.thumb.jpg.e08948af45eba8100d9ace2c6b9cbef4.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BCF said:

It begins...

Power to the people!!

How did it go?

1 hour ago, Dommo said:

Power to the people!!

How did it go?

Really good! Neil was fantastic, I highly recommend BBR for anything - they were brilliant. 

We started the day at 162bhp, which is a big step up from the previous print out on the hks kit set up at 136bhp. Neil worked his magic and over the course of the day, got it to 189bhp and 180 lbft torque at the wheels. It now drives sublimely, it's so so nice! It's exactly what it should have been from the factory. And a really nice smooth torque curve to boot!

20190625_144618.thumb.jpg.8c85492cdb65fc55bf2626566c5b408d.jpg

I'm a very happy chap. More than I hoped for and the perfect set up for me - I'm super pleased I managed to achieve this on my own (with the epic addition of Frankenpipe from Martin!!) and really looking forward to some sunny drives now!

• Like 4