Life after Westy's...earning my petrolhead stripes

B.RAD

2017 will definitely be the last full season for Mr Grumpy.

A Westie is just too visceral (easy for Scott to say) a drive for me now and even a gentle run lasting 1 hour to Stratford upon Avon and back breaks me.

But, the roofless rear wheel drive experience is under my skin and I still do enjoy a 'spirited' tussle between myself on the laws of physics and friction, so next year I will be hunting for a replacement fun but easier drive.

I would get rid of Mr Grumpy and the ST and add the required cash - so I do need a car that can do most of what the other two can currently give me.

Right now the smart money is between a newish MX5 and a older Porsche Boxster. Realistic budget between £15k and £20k

My heart is with the Porker as I've been a life long fan of the marque but never owned one. Biggest worry is how to get a good one.

What does the collective think given the choice of the two..?

I enjoyed owning my Boxster's. Its obviously not a Westie but you dont want one anymore so that is fine.

Great to drive at normal speeds and the heater keeps you warm with the roof down on cold days.

Maintenance was a bit pricey but not too bad and residuals meant I didn't lose much on resale

The key point over a Mazda for me (obviously cheaper and well respected cars) was the wail of the flat six with the roof down.

Gearing is long which is great for acceleration on a long dual carriageway in a single gear but can be surprisingly slow up a twisty hilly section.

It has loads of luggage space, my wife and I did 5000 miles in 3 weeks a carry on case and a holdall each with no issues.

Comfort is very good but avoid the larger wheels unless the suspension is softer than my S model which was a bit harsh on UK roads.

I think perhaps the 2.9 is the sweet spot for performance and emissions/ reliability as a friend had a Cayman with this one and was very happy.

I have almost bought an MX5 on several occasions too it ticks loads of boxes, but cant get over the lack of a nice sound....

Best of luck with your decision.

A Z4M is really the only other contender and as our ex-chairman has stated, it has a front engine, long bonnet, short tail - just like a Westie.

But I do want to scratch my Porker Itch...

32 minutes ago, John K said:

A Z4M is really the only other contender and as our ex-chairman has stated, it has a front engine, long bonnet, short tail - just like a Westie.

Oh no! I didn't realise the ex-chair had already suggested it. In that case, its a terrible idea, I must disagree! :d

32 minutes ago, John K said:

But I do want to scratch my Porker Itch...

You can get some creme for that, scratching it will make it worse.

Oh dear. I've managed to miss this topic for 2 months...

Really Barny? Really? A chunky V8?

After a Seven (lets be wide and not talk only about westfields), there is NO WORLD after a Seven style car for the price and performance in the roadlegal espectre... There is no such a bad weather condition in a westy... is just inapropate clothing... Bear that in mind.

However. You can find something if you are after an only track thing... 

Also pretty sure that one of this would fill the gap for an All-rounder...

red-bull-air-race-corvus-racer-540-pilot

Personally I think something classic would be the way I would go. I've always loved the shape of TVR Vixens. Is till need to scratch the single seater itch first though

• Like 1

I loved my Boxster S but it was bl**** expensive to repair and maintain so sold it

It was cheaper to run than my Westfield !

I paid out for a suspension overhaul, coil packs and a plastic rear window in the roof at Porsche dealers. 

However the coil packs were done in Italy with their labour rate and a favourable euro so it was actually cheaper to drive to Italy and get it serviced whilst on holiday than use the local Wilmslow "orange faced" army of receptionists.

Think I would use my local independent esp now they are so well supported and older so more diagnostics are within reach of a independent operator?

16 hours ago, John K said:

2017 will definitely be the last full season for Mr Grumpy.

A Westie is just too visceral (easy for Scott to say) a drive for me now and even a gentle run lasting 1 hour to Stratford upon Avon and back breaks me.

But, the roofless rear wheel drive experience is under my skin and I still do enjoy a 'spirited' tussle between myself on the laws of physics and friction, so next year I will be hunting for a replacement fun but easier drive.

I would get rid of Mr Grumpy and the ST and add the required cash - so I do need a car that can do most of what the other two can currently give me.

Right now the smart money is between a newish MX5 and a older Porsche Boxster. Realistic budget between £15k and £20k

My heart is with the Porker as I've been a life long fan of the marque but never owned one. Biggest worry is how to get a good one.

What does the collective think given the choice of the two..?

Forget about putting the top down and go for one of these, incredible handling, lovely sound, 3.4l from £13k onwards... 

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/cayman/porsche-cayman-gen-ii-3-4-s-manual-2010/7754909

• 7 months later...

Well, there we have it. I'm now Westfield-less.

And for the first time in my life, I haven't a clue what I'm going to do next! 

Just reread this thread from the start and there's some brilliant input, thanks all!

So my current stable is a very nice mk1 MX5 which Sophia and I really enjoy driving (first time she has taken any interest in cars at all!), a track slag MX5 for trackdays and currently sharing my dad's classic mini in the DEWS sprint series. 

I still want a big old American V8, got a big craving for something classic with more noise than sense.  Also on my list is an Elise, but wouldn't be for long, just to tick the box.  Then there's the Cobra bug, which I've had all my life (once at Silverstone classic with dad when I was about 8, I asked him if I saved my pocket money - 50p per week - how long it would take me to buy one! The answer sort of put me off! :laugh:) - will have the space for a project so this is a potential.  Also always wanted a Honda NSX, but have been priced well out of my range now. And then we're back to a 996, which I can't stop thinking about. 

None of these will be keepers, just the next chapter in my car book! And I'm not trying to compare to the Westfield. There's no point, they're incomparable, so this is just about moving on.

What do you think? Where would you go next? 

Steve, I like your thinking. That could be very interesting!

I've been buying a few bits of them for my build and they've been very good to deal with.