Squeaky Spanners Euro Tour 2017

Terryathome

1 hour ago, Terryathome said:

Waiting to get on the boat home. Anybody missed us?

20170826_161730.jpg

Nope. But I've enjoyed your posts.

35 minutes ago, Paul Hurdsfield said:

Nope. But I've enjoyed your posts.

Trust you Hursty,  just for that no present for you.

14 minutes ago, Terryathome said:

Trust you Hursty,  just for that no present for you.

Not even a new map book :-0

• Sad 1

Well I can confirm that after 2350 miles @Terryathome brakes are still squeaking like chuff :-)

On 25/08/2017 at 07:58, marcusb said:

Me and @nakkib did not get much sleep last night ( ooh er I hear you say ) well to add to the list of being attacked by animals on euro tours , I have had a German shepherd, wasps and last night work up to about 12 bats in our room! 

Turn the sound up to here the screams !

Surely it was better with having the bats capture those pesky mosquitoes and midges!

Back home after a great trip, thanks to @Terryathome , Caroline and @nakkib for great company and laughs :-)

only car problems one exhaust bobbin and a dodgy-dash 2 !

milleage door to door :-)

IMG_1236.JPG

Epic trip!

The company, roads and weather was spot on.

To the latter of the hols we were getting up early and setting off to try and miss the midday sun. Sounds funny that but with temps in the mid 30s especially in Spain and south France it does pay.  Sometimes it worked sometimes not, kinda dependant on how many beers we could throw down our necks, or for Caroline very expensive brandy.

Both cars performed well, except as @marcusb has already mentioned.

Terry's top tips when touring.

1. Make sure you can fit your half hood on with luggage strapped on back of car.

2. Half doors and or wind deflectors are great when it gets hotter but if you intend using motorways then full doors are recommended.

3. Motorways usually have tolls. Small bag of change in the car comes in handy.

4. Plenty of water.

5. Use storage behind seats if your not 6' 6" tall.

6. Satnav with upto date maps you will not regret it. Some new roads have been built.

7. Plan your routes Tyre software is great for this but set you way points carefully. We did have 3 or 4 routes planned depending what happened if it was a long day the day before.

8. Spanish and French drivers will overtake you in some unexpected places if your just toddling along. Use your mirrors.

9. Put a small rear view mirror top left of windscreen to cover your offside blind spot.

10. Don't try and do too many miles per day. You'll be suprised how long it takes if your on the twisty roads.

11. Plan or make sure you know where the petrol stations are depending if you have small or large fuel tank. This will be important when you plan a route which is off piste.

12. Watch out for single track roads that look good and twisty on the map. Can take a long time on these routes.

13. Tractors are all over the place. Take your time choosing where you overtake them

14. We seen quite a few camping places if that floats your boat. We used hotels and alike go for the ones where they have good parking secure if possible. They normally charge for parking but it will give you peace on mind.

15. Check if hotels include for breakfast before you book. We used booking.com you pay when you leave.

Will post tyre routes a bit later.

• Like 2

Marcus's top tip:

Ifyou cough up a greeny whilst driving, make sure you launch it whilst travelling below 20mph or you will regret it.... I did :-/

2 hours ago, marcusb said:

Marcus's top tip:

Ifyou cough up a greeny whilst driving, make sure you launch it whilst travelling below 20mph or you will regret it.... I did :-/

Too much detail... thank you.:p

Fantastic write up and pics of the trip.. thanks for taking the time to post it

Here are the Tyre files as promissed.

Watch out for a couple miss placed waypoints as mentioned in Terrys top tips lol

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pmjfqv9tayilcce/AABcM7_-mqSh_ni94luB_SU-a?dl=0

You can download them but remember they are in Trye file trf format for TomTom Go 5200