Scottish Route Advice - Calling the Clan!

Kingster

@Robert (bombero) - Scotland AO @sdh2903 @ziplob @Davep1 and anyone else from over the border - can you advise on a decent road from around Hawick to Dumbarton that doesn't involve too much motorway or too many wee toons to get stuck in?

Here's a "beta" route plan - we are all familiar with the first bit up to St Mary's Loch area - but after that it's a bit of a lesser known quantity.

Any suggestions welcome!

• Like 1

Depends how much time driving you want to add to the day. Rather than heading north, you could come off of the M74 and head West to Wanlockhead (highest Village in Scotland) and over the Mennock pass. From there you could either head north or go further West to the Galloway Forrest and then head north into Ayrshire. It's quite a detour though. 

Bob

As above depends how much time you want to add. There are some lovely roads around dumfrieshire and Ayrshire but will add a good chunk of time that you may wish to use further north.

If youre sticking to the motorway to get through glasgow Just avoid the m8 like the plague during rush hour.

Are you overnighting in Dumbarton and where you headed from there? Your within about 10 miles of me when you get to the erskine bridge.

Thanks for the info lads. 

We are stopping over at Dumbarton so have all day to get there and it is the first day of our tour. 

Day two we head to Ullapool which will be our base for 4 days before heading back via Glenshee area. 

It will all depend on weather I guess, but if it's fine then a longer twisty route is always possible. 

By the way if you view the route on a mobile it seems to remove all the waypoints! So misses out the fact that we're heading north via Kielder, Newcastleton, Hawick and then we aren't sure which way to go to avoid pants roads :)

I know the newcastleton dog leg looks odd, but it's a cracking road so shame to miss it!

Anyone know what the road between Peebles and Glasgow is like?

I am familiar with the A72 from Melrose to Innerleithen from my mountain biking days, but never been past Glentress.

Hi Chris,

The A72/A721 across towards Glasgow after Peebles is fine until you get to around Carluke and then you’re into traffic/built up areas etc. There aren’t really many alternatives whichever way you go from there.

You might want to consider going cross country. Head across to Ayrshire and up the coast so you’re missing Glasgow completely and come to the Erskine bridge from the west. Maybe come off the A721 at Carstairs and head for Lanark then cross country to Strathaven on to the A71 and right across towards Irvine, north on the A78, then A737 up towards the west side of Glasgow, on to the M8 and head for the Erskine bridge. Main roads but not too busy and avoids Glasgow.

OK, taking on board the comments so far - any views on these two routes (Again, ignoring our own choice of the Hawick/Newcastleton detour that we like)

Route One via Innerliethen

Route Two via Dumfries

I'd say 4 those passes in that thread look awesome. I may well take a run out down there later this week.

Before heading for the a737 I would go on to lugton then dogleg and go over glennifer braes into paisley and pick up the m8 for the bridge.

11 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

I'd say 4 those passes in that thread look awesome. I may well take a run out down there later this week.

Before heading for the a737 I would go on to lugton then dogleg and go over glennifer braes into paisley and pick up the m8 for the bridge.

Like this then?

Your last route is what I recommend as well - down the Dalveen, up the Mennock passes, then the bit from Leadhills to Glespin is a cracking (but small) open road.

You would also be passing Kames circuit (At Muirkirk) - they have things on most weekends, and do good bacon rolls as well.http://www.eastayrshirecc.co.uk/

Dave.

2 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Like this then?

:yes:

And if you need a brew or any running repairs/supplies providing am not at work am just here

Screenshot_20170516-124919-432x768.png

• Like 1

Hi,

As someone from very far South, but with family roots in Dumfriesshire, when you go through Moffat, there is an excellent Fish and Chip shop (though you really need to ask for a Pie Supper as you are in Scotland) just off the main street and you won't get a better ice cream than out of the gift shop almost next door.  To get up to Elvanfoot, you have two choices far superior than the M74 Junctions 15 to 14

• Go up the A701 and turn left along the B719 (it is actually worth continuing up the A701 for another three miles to the viewpoint at the head of the Devils Beef Tub, pause for photos, then retrace your steps down to the A719).  Going up the Devils Beef Tub climb is like a sub-Alpine pass with lovely views to the right.
  • Take the B7076 (which is actually the old A74 and runs parallel to the motorway.  A lovely sweeping road that has next to no traffic at all.

If I were not already committed to a busy weekend "Darn Sarf", I could have been seriously tempted to come up and join you over some of my absolute favourite roads.  Enjoy yourselves (and don't forget to tell us all about it afterwards)!

Simon