Scottish Route Advice - Calling the Clan!

Kingster

Thanks again for the all of the input - I will be putting your thoughts to the  group and we shall see what the weather brings!

@sdh2903 I'll let you know when we're passing - but you might regret asking 12 'sevens' to turn up for a brew!

Dumfries & Galloway (D&G) is one of the lesser explored areas for the Clan and something that we hope to remedy in the near future! There are some tremendous roads that are a lot less congested than other parts of Scotland during peak season :) Some of the earlier suggestions sound fantastic!

1 hour ago, Sunbeam Lotus said:

Hi,

As someone from very far South, but with family roots in Dumfriesshire, when you go through Moffat, there is an excellent Fish and Chip shop (though you really need to ask for a Pie Supper as you are in Scotland) just off the main street and you won't get a better ice cream than out of the gift shop almost next door.  To get up to Elvanfoot, you have two choices far superior than the M74 Junctions 15 to 14

• Go up the A701 and turn left along the B719 (it is actually worth continuing up the A701 for another three miles to the viewpoint at the head of the Devils Beef Tub, pause for photos, then retrace your steps down to the A719).  Going up the Devils Beef Tub climb is like a sub-Alpine pass with lovely views to the right.
  • Take the B7076 (which is actually the old A74 and runs parallel to the motorway.  A lovely sweeping road that has next to no traffic at all.

If I were not already committed to a busy weekend "Darn Sarf", I could have been seriously tempted to come up and join you over some of my absolute favourite roads.  Enjoy yourselves (and don't forget to tell us all about it afterwards)!

Simon

That b-road alongside the M74 looks like a perfect alternative - thanks!

May have missed it, but when are you planning the trip for?

Agreee with Simon - you can follow the M74 alongside on a superb quiet road for miles and miles (and play race the train...!)..

Dave.

3 minutes ago, Davep1 said:

May have missed it, but when are you planning the trip for?

Agreee with Simon - you can follow the M74 alongside on a superb quiet road for miles and miles (and play race the train...!)..

Dave.

Thursday 1st June we set off, get home 6 days later.

I would plan to push for the original route - there is universal chaos at the Raith interchange roadworks (M73 / M74 junction) - at rush hour, you WILL be held up here!!

Dave.

3 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Thanks again for the all of the input - I will be putting your thoughts to the  group and we shall see what the weather brings!

@sdh2903 I'll let you know when we're passing - but you might regret asking 12 'sevens' to turn up for a brew!

Hmm. 12? Might need a bigger kettle.....

I didnt realise just how far we were travelling on the 1st leg if this trip until these maps went up 

As been said above, Leadhills has some excellent roads and coming up through Ayrshire as well.

I also stay 10min from Dumbarton, if you's need any help. :t-up:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chriss1455 said:

I didnt realise just how far we were travelling on the 1st leg if this trip until these maps went up 

Yep. Long day!

We will probably choose a route that can easily be modified to allow us to get there quicker if required.

Although whatever way we go there will always be some heavy traffic near the end - and we will no doubt hit the Glasgow area around rush hour!

• 2 weeks later...

@sdh2903 we're not going your side now due to weather heading in from west, so keeping east of motorway for as much as is sensible (well as sensible as a Westy can be anyway!)

On 2017-5-16 at 16:05, Davep1 said:

I would plan to push for the original route - there is universal chaos at the Raith interchange roadworks (M73 / M74 junction) - at rush hour, you WILL be held up here!!

Dave.

Heed this warning ! ! ! Heading back from NW Scotland, on last Saturday early pm, South of Glasgow there was a many many mile car park heading North.

On 2017-5-17 at 08:39, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Yep. Long day!

We will probably choose a route that can easily be modified to allow us to get there quicker if required.

Although whatever way we go there will always be some heavy traffic near the end - and we will no doubt hit the Glasgow area around rush hour!

Head North as quick as possible  (I know this will avoid some good roads you like) & then you can explore D&G a lot more which has some stunning looking routes as said above.