• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Zetec cooling question

Quinten

Am looking at the cooling pipes I've received with my engine and have laid them out as per the car they came out off.  That car had a heater installed; I do not have a heater.  That car had a radiator with a 3rd (bleed? overflow?) connection; I only have 2 connections (top and bottom).  @dombanks passed me the following diagram for the 'plumbing'

coolant.jpg

That seems clear enough, but I am wondering about the connections on the thermostat housing.  Should the small connector at the back (opposite the two 'hot' pipes) be blanked off?  Can I connect the bleed/overflow nipple to the expansion bottle or should both (on expansion bottle and thermostat housing) be blanked off?

And am I right in saying that the thermostat housing does not have a fan switch in it, and that I should 'tap' one in the (larger of the two) red hose?

47 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

And am I right in saying that the thermostat housing does not have a fan switch in it, and that I should 'tap' one in the (larger of the two) red hose?

Found this picture on the internet (sorry @Thrustyjust ;) ) of the thermostat housing, which looks the same as mine.

S7000824.jpg

Am I right in that the sensor in white/brass is the fan switch and the sensor in black/brass is the temperature sender for a gauge (or ECU) ?

The rear pipe should be blanked. 

The top sender is ECU the other is temp gauge. Rad should have cut off sender or use ECU perhaps. 

• Like 1

Cheers @Thrustyjust and @DamperMan.  My rad does not have a fan switch, and I do not think my ECU has one either, so will have to look at plumbing one into the hose near the thermostat housing.

Related questions ;) : Does the expansion bottle need a pressure cap, or is it a completely sealed system?  And does the expansion bottle need to be the highest point of the cooling system?  I'm asking, as it looks like it may be easier for me to mount the expansion bottle in the void between radiator and engine if I use the above diagram...

Make sure expansion bottle is plumbed in close to water pump as per diagram even if it means a long hose to do it. 

1 minute ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Make sure expansion bottle is plumbed in close to water pump as per diagram even if it means a long hose to do it. 

?  What do you mean by that?  Normally the expansion bottle is mounted on the scuttle, and nowhere near the water pump?

Logic says high up for location. A pressure cap needed.    Although on my campervan vw T3 all logic like that is dispensed with.   The rad is higher than the engine and in the opposite end of the vehicle. the expansion tank top is level with the head... it works but takes a few days to bleed the system and has been ballenced so the water flowing though the header causes a pressure drop and there for collects air.    

8 hours ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

?  What do you mean by that?  Normally the expansion bottle is mounted on the scuttle, and nowhere near the water pump?

Yes, but the hose needs to tee in close to pump. Don't be tempted to tee in near the stat. 

All the images I've seen have the bypass closest to the pump, and the expansion bottle closest to the rad.  They both go into the bottom hose from radiator to water pump.