• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

MSE Abingdon Track Day Dates 2017

CrisisWolf

1 minute ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Tuition is usually available. I did a session with Erling Jensen who was a close friend of John Button and whose name is why Jenson Button is so named. Presumably he's still there?

He was there last September

Erline was there in 2014 and 2015... didn't use MSE last year but I'd assume so.

45 minutes ago, andyismilesaway said:

How would Abingdon be as a first (Westfield) track day? I see it's airfield rather than track with barriers etc - which I guess is good...

Also I guess no tuition on these days?

I hadn't realised quite how close Abingdon is to me vs somewhere like Bliyton.

I popped my cherry at Abingdon, it is a good place to start IMO.

Plenty of room and normally very good manners from everyone there.

There is always tuition there and it is definitely worth taking some fairly early in the day so you can work on the things your are told which will help you with confidence and also improve the experience.

Who's booked and on which days.  I'm interested in doing an early date, but would like to do it on a date when there are some other WSCC members...    

Might start another thread for a few specific dates and see where we get to - I'll probably run 3 for the following dates for now:

• Fri 28th Apr
  • Fri 23rd Jun  
  • Fri 14th Jul 

Separate posts made for:

• Fri 28th Apr
  • Fri 23rd Jun  
  • Fri 14th Jul  

Put your names down for interest and see what numbers we get.

17 minutes ago, CrisisWolf said:

Separate posts made for:

• Fri 28th Apr
  • Fri 23rd Jun  
  • Fri 14th Jul  

Put your names down for interest and see what numbers we get.

I can do all those dates but will only do one,  probably the first.  

1 hour ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Tuition is usually available. I did a session with Erling Jensen who was a close friend of John Button and whose name is why Jenson Button is so named. Presumably he's still there?

I have found the others to be more effective tutors, although I believe he was rather grumpy with another orange Westfield that day and may have taken it out on me..............

11 minutes ago, the stoat said:

I have found the others to be more effective tutors, although I believe he was rather grumpy with another orange Westfield that day and may have taken it out on me..............

Was that certain orange Westfield struggling to slow down for corners?

• Like 1

My tuition with Erling was in the MSE Elise. He kept telling me I was entering corners too fast and I should brake harder and then use more power leaving the corner. At one point he said "brake", "Brake!", "BRAKE!!" "You're going to spin!". Just to be an awkward sod of course I didn't spin - the Elise was nearer to my Westfield's handling than anything else I've driven and I knew how to not spin from coming very close to it on numerous occasions in the Westfield. I have yet to evaluate the advice objectively, however. Naturally I respect his vastly superior skill and experience, but I need to convince myself to really take in on board. Going slower in order to be faster takes a bit of grasping. ???

I was entering corners too fast and I should brake harder and then use more power leaving the corner.

I think my interpretation is, if you cant get on the throttle fairly hard from the apex of the corner out .. you've gone in too fast and are losing time?

I shall be joining for one or two of these - not sure which just yet, although April looks like a good one.  

14 minutes ago, Mooch said:

I shall be joining for one or two of these - not sure which just yet, although April looks like a good one.  

Thou should sign up - 

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I think my interpretation is, if you cant get on the throttle fairly hard from the apex of the corner out .. you've gone in too fast and are losing time?

You are probably right, but I need to experiment or I won't be doing it with any inherent conviction. There have been times on the acute left hander at Abingdon (tighter than 90°) when I have had to balance the power with neither drive nor trailing throttle because either would have broken the rear away. Only when unwinding the steering could I start putting power down. Since swapping from ropey old road tyres to 888s I have yet to find that point. Those Toyos are now worn out and the next track day will be on a new set of Nankang NS-2R

11 hours ago, Tom (T3OMF) - Cotswolds AO said:

We have a couple of spare if you want to borrow them 

Cheers mate, I just got to watch spending this year after you made me in debt building the car last year :laugh:

• Like 1