• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Trackdays

Terryathome

The circuits where you can camp the night before or the night after appeal to me as Ime driving the westy to and from the venue, thats what make the track day at Blyton great, although agree with others would prefer non airfield circuits

I like 'em all, airfields cause they are cheap and I can attend more days.     Proper tracks because they are a smoother surface and have changes in elevation.    Only had one near miss in 15 years so I think in general most people follow trackday etiquette.  I'll always happily attend a trackday whether organised by the WSCC or any other organiser.  Only limiting factor for myself is distance to the venue, i'll happily travel 2 hours from home which would include Bedford, Snetterton, Rockingham, Brands Hatch, Woodbridge, plenty of variety from them.    Any further would entail an overnight stay at a hotel (get tired at my age :d )   

The circuits where you can camp the night before or the night after appeal to me as Ime driving the westy to and from the venue, thats what make the track day at Blyton great, although agree with others would prefer non airfield circuits

Anglesey and Cadwell both allow camping at the circuit, may depend on the day though.. probably not if there's a race meeting the following day.  :t-up:

Hey guys. I would be really interested with some trackdays only with westfields. I really enjoyed in Blyton, I had absolutely no worry about the behavior of the other people in track and for the good atmosphere in the padock.

Maybe the first step before starting to promote something is make a list with interested people?

I'm sure Terry will line first to the list... (sorry Terry :p ).

No, seriously, I think the poll with the attendance, or a list, should come before the venue and any work promoted beforehand.

To put things rather succinctly:

> The Committee is always open and open-minded to ideas from members (hence this new forum section)

> Club-sponsored or organised track days are :swear: expensive, mainly thanks to the high insurance costs needed to thoroughly coat everyone in lawsuit-repelling Teflon ©

> Therefore, any club-sponsored or organised track day has to have sufficient fund generation, either through individual entrant price or through high numbers of entrants, to either pay the costs or come very, very close to it, i.e. the club cannot spend vast amounts of membership income to subsidise events for the benefit of a small number of members.  To use an old but disgusting saying, the event has to be able to wipe its own :arse:

In other words, if it makes sense as a proposition, we can do it.  If anyone can find a way for club members to do or join a track day that won't expose the club to litigation and drain the club's cash faster than you can say "dosh", bring it to us for consideration. :)

I've never done a trackday although I had a half day driving Silverstone in a Caterham before I bought the Westy. On that occasion there were no other cars on track. I think I'd feel intimidated at an open track and worry that I'm getting in everyones way and being a nuisance.  I'd like to learn the aforementioned 'trackday etiquette' with other club members rather than the unwashed masses! So If a trackday is arranged at Mallory or Donington I'd like to attend and break my trackday duck.

could we approach one of the trackday organising companies like msv to organise a club track day providing the numbers were there and the costs were covered. or would this just not be fesable

As a member of the Bristol Pegasus club I would welcome a day at Combe as the facilities are good, Track good and it can pull people from across the south west and beyond as it is just of the M4 or M5 depending on where you are.

Cost wise it is more expensive and the only way it could be done is to get a none refundable deposit from everyone up front, other wise the club could take a hit.

The other downside of Combe is the noise limit which is strictly enforced. LLandow on the other hand is cheap, no noise issues but smaller and further to travel.

It isn't many years ago that we used to organise an annual WSCC trackday at Mallory Park, for Westfields and "similar" cars. However, the numbers attending dropped quite a bit, so that it became unviable to run. Since then the cost of running trackdays has increased because the insurance costs have risen. It was after that that the speed series started going to Blyton, and decided to run a trackday the day before. The first day was well attended, no doubt because a lot of the sprinters decided to sign up for the trackday to learn the track. Since then, I believe the numbers attending the trackday have fallen. 

Blyton is of course a flat track, but the corners are very technical and challenging, as any of the regulars in the speed series will confirm.

Regarding trackdays with other cars (ie hot hatchbacks etc.) attending, I don't have a lot of experience of them, but I did a couple at Oulton Park several years ago, and I found the standard of driving was very good and considerate on the whole. Remember a lot of the drivers of the hot hatches at trackdays are regular "trackdayers" and are therefor well used to using their mirrors, and moving to one side on the straights to allow faster cars/drivers to overtake.

I think a wider issue for many was the days, due to cost, were always in the week where people had to use valuable holiday to attend. When you only get 4 weeks and you have a family that is an important point. 

The pegasus day at Combe is alway on a Saturday and is always over subscribed, granted not all Westfields. The club could extend the invitation to owners of other self built cars as they also struggle to hold exclusive days as well. 

Just a thought

Hey guys. I would be really interested with some trackdays only with westfields. I really enjoyed in Blyton, I had absolutely no worry about the behavior of the other people in track and for the good atmosphere in the padock.

Maybe the first step before starting to promote something is make a list with interested people?

I'm sure Terry will line first to the list... (sorry Terry :p ).

No, seriously, I think the poll with the attendance, or a list, should come before the venue and any work promoted beforehand.

Who mentioned a list

1. Terry

Andy/Scott

I have some contacts at Rockingham who will provide me with some options next week. 

Who in the WSCC will be leading this initiative so I know who to send the info and contact details to? 

Please advise

Thanks

G

G

No one is specifically leading any initiatives - we will look at them on a case-by-case basis as they are presented to us by the members such as yourself.  Best thing to do is send all the information you can to committee@wscc.co.uk so we can go through any proposals in detail.

It may be slightly pedantic of me but I have to point out that the insurance costs are not excessive when it comes to running a trackday.  Covering all liabilities, employing qualified staff to run an event and the price of paperwork, car stickers etc would cost easily sub-£1k.  Considering you would get at least 50 cars on a trackday (80+ at somewhere like Oulton) you'll understand that the running cost of an event is in the circuit hire, not the insurance.

I used run my own trackdays and still instruct for other organisers as well as racing a couple of tin-tops and regularly trackdaying in my Westfield.  We packed the organising in last year because we had always based our days round club groups and forums (all makes) and it was getting harder to get club members to come along to our events, the best WSCC showing we ever got for one of our days was just into double figures I think but a number of them hardly got an Westfield entry (aside from my regular trackday amigos).  We never needed to make much money out of it but when you are looking at a heavy four figure loss on a day it starts to become an expensive hobby.

I can still get group discounts with other organisers but to be honest I kind of gave up with trying to coordinate events where members could book and know there would be a decent group of Westies along because we just weren't getting much response, if that's likely to change then I'd be happy to have another go or punt the events up that we get any discounts on  :t-up: .